Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Million Miler Doesn’t Reward Long Term Loyalty... Learn From My Mistake

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2019, 8:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/CK 8 MILLION MILES, DL, UA MILLION MILER, MARRIOTT TITANIUM, HILTON DIAMOND, HERTZ PRESIDENTS

After 8 Million Miles with AA, AA CK for 7 years, EXP since the 90's, I have left AA. This year 0 EQD, EQ$, EQS (took some work to cut the cord). Previously based in Miami; now I am based in Europe. The AA million miler program doesn't stack up pretty much with any competitor (US or foreign, including other Oneworld partners). DO NOT MAKE THE SAME MISTAKE I DID .. After 2 million miles when you get platinum status (or before), move on to another program.

The perks (CK for example) were nice (have gotten better in the last few years with a separate upgrade bucket, etc.), as well as the domestic upgrades (which have become much harder to get if you aren't CK) .... I can't complain about the service over the years.

HOWEVER, BEWARE: If you are interested in long term appreciation for loyalty on AA forget it ... they drop you in a flash and give you a watered down platinum status as a "reward."

It is very easy (if you fly premium even a little) to get the equivalent of Platinum status with other OW partners.... (OW partners give Emerald status for long term loyalty... not AA) ... and non Oneworld programs are much more generous for long term loyalty (especially European carriers... as well as UA which is the standard by which to be matched with the equivalent of CK (GS) after 3 million miles for life with a companion).

I wish I had made the change years before. Being based in Europe has made the switch much easier ...

I am making this post in hopes that other people do not repeat my mistake ... after 2 million miles AA could care less about your long term business .. they only look at the last 12 months.

I have many more "in seat" miles with AA than 3,000,000 ... if, for example, I had flown them on UA I'd have something to show for it, instead of a platinum card which is basically worthless.

Happy flying! MAKE YOUR LOYALTY COUNT LONG TERM!
estnet, kevino, LINDEGR and 3 others like this.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 9:08 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
I don't think there's anything here not covered at: https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...er-program.jsp
Old Jul 15, 2019, 9:14 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Beltway2A
I don't think there's anything here not covered at: https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...er-program.jsp
TRUE

NOT TO MENTION HERE:

AAdvantage Million Miler Program as of Dec 2011 (master thd)

HAPPY MONDAY EVERYBODY
hedoman, GlobalMatt and nancypants like this.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 9:20 am

Programs: AA Plat/2MM, DL Silver, UA Silver (via Marr), Marr LTT, HH Gold (via cc), Hyatt Disc
I'm missing any "new news" in the OP; everything shared is fully known and understood by anyone investing 3 minutes to explore the benefits of the MM program.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 9:28 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Seems like the OP is well...quite upset..
but I feel maybe the OP had his expectations set a bit too high,
Like with any business, dont like one, there are plenty of others that you can go to
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 9:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Which documented benefits of lifetime status has AA failed to provide?
Old Jul 15, 2019, 9:57 am

Programs: AA EXP
DYKWIUTB?
Old Jul 15, 2019, 9:57 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Exactly after 2 mm (as yes before 2011 it was far easier to get there) you get Lifetime PLT. That means a lifetime of OW lounge membership when traveling International, free MCE, Group 3 boarding (usually one of the first to walk into Y and find storage for bags at your seat), potential upgrades at T-48, jumping the que if you need to call Customer Service. As as Lifetime PLT I consider this a very good deal. Due to health reasons in 2017 and 2018
I fell out of EXP and Lifetime PLT has been a lifesaver.

Sounds like the OP is pissed off at life because of changes he's no longer CK. I'd say get over it.
certils, scoonee, IsleSeat and 7 others like this.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 10:02 am

I dunno, seems pretty helpful: if you travel a lot now (enough to likely exceed 3+M miles), it may be worth considering long-term options other than AA since their lifetime program is not as good as some competitors'.

I'm pretty sure AA doesn't advertise that on their site, and the fact that they tell you in advance that they limit to lifetime Platinum doesn't mean that we shouldn't learn from OP and pick another program that provides better long-term benefits for people who expect to fly several millions of miles on premium fares.
miket, Spiff, GUWonder and 5 others like this.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 10:15 am

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
this is why I am going for Lifetime Emerald on British Airways.

Of course they will likely eliminate it, or move the goal posts, right before I get there.
EuropeanPete and waterskifly like this.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 10:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by jordyn
I dunno, seems pretty helpful: if you travel a lot now (enough to likely exceed 3+M miles), it may be worth considering long-term options other than AA since their lifetime program is not as good as some competitors'.

I'm pretty sure AA doesn't advertise that on their site, and the fact that they tell you in advance that they limit to lifetime Platinum doesn't mean that we shouldn't learn from OP and pick another program that provides better long-term benefits for people who expect to fly several millions of miles on premium fares.
There is a different between deciding to make a change due to seeing that another company may provide a better option to ranting that the airline is only giving him benefits based on what was earned

That the OP was travelling that distance does not mean that another scheme would have given him anything better - if status was earned from non flying earning and earning from economy travel , there is a good chance that another scheme may not have given him the same status. Also should consider value of other aspects in that period - e.g. if held EP status for several years from 2 million miles to 3 million miles, the systemwide upgrades have value and the lack of cash co-payments with AA awards can have a lot of value

The OP's rant seems not to have considered the difference in requirements - e.g. QF has lifetime Emerald status, but the requirements require a lot of travel ( over 5 times the requirement of earning LT Sapphire )

Unlike what the OP is suggesting, AA does providing everything that it promised

Originally Posted by nachosdelux
this is why I am going for Lifetime Emerald on British Airways.

Of course they will likely eliminate it, or move the goal posts, right before I get there.
Do you do a lot of paid premium class travel?
Adam1222, Flapjacks and nancypants like this.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 10:26 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
It's in the CAPS and the BOLD, Dave. C'mon. They didn't give a multi year CK lifetime EXP.

To be fair, the "Change programs after 2 million miles" might not be terrible advice, especially in OP's specific case of moving to Europe. I hear BAEC is pretty nice for Oneworld over there; the FT section is always hopping.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
What's cool about this post is that you can tell how important the OP is based on his use of bold text and capital letters.

I was US based for 30 years and am now based in Abu Dhabi. For 30 years, what mattered most to me was upgrades, as most of my travel was domestic on purchased Y fares. (When traveling internationally, I always purchased or used miles for J or F travel.) That I achieved lifetime PLT and have been EXP for about 15 years has meant that I very rarely had to sit in coach for the last 30 years. I've also made good use out of VIP upgrades, frequently upgrading from J to F.

Now that I am based in Abu Dhabi, almost all of my travel is on purchased J fares. In 2018 I was AA EXP and BA Gold, and will be in 2019 as well (with DL Platinum or Diamond on top of that). Now I see the benefit of achieving BA lifetime Gold, especially since I travel on BA a lot now and they on occasion will op-up me to F as a Gold member.

It sounds like, as with me, the OP's circumstances have changed. Like me, if the OP knew then what he knows now, he might have tried harder to get lifetime Gold on BA. But I didn't know then what I know now, and am fine living with the decisions I made.
eefor jfp, cre95, Gerbs and 5 others like this.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 10:32 am

BEWARE! Learn from my MISTAKE. If you value your time, don't spend it on this thread.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 10:35 am

Here i am, just finished boarding a flight, looking for a nice juicy thread to keep me going once we take off.

Instead, I get this. Sigh.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.