FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   need advice - notification from AA Corporate Security (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1976900-need-advice-notification-aa-corporate-security.html)

MSPeconomist Jul 5, 2019 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by ksucats (Post 31273247)
I read that to mean that he hasn't done that.

I interpreted the statement to mean that when he's done it, it wasn't on hold for a long time, in his opinion.

BTW, I'm confused by a reference to the OP being an authorized user. Does this mean that the fly now and pay later card is his wife's account? If so, have they been separated or divorced?

SNAGuy Jul 5, 2019 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by TWA884 (Post 31273189)
I've never heard of this card before. Now that I have and looked into it, I have no idea why anyone would use it.

Maybe I'm missing something when I read the T&Cs for the "Fly Now Payment Plan". If properly paid off within the 6 month time period (meeting the requirements of minimum monthly/payment due date) the purchaser/passenger will pay no interest. Now IF you pay you leave any balance even 1 penny at the end of the6 month payment period you will owe interest all the way back to the original purchase date.

If I read the correctly then for some it might not be a bad way to go.

Grmaht Jul 5, 2019 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 31273264)
I interpreted the statement to mean that when he's done it, it wasn't on hold for a long time, in his opinion.

BTW, I'm confused by a reference to the OP being an authorized user. Does this mean that the fly now and pay later card is his wife's account? If so, have they been separated or divorced?

no - I'm am authorized user and we live together.

mvoight Jul 5, 2019 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by Grmaht (Post 31273248)
No - the opposite. I've always called to get the ticket issued.

It they were all paid for, then I suspect the penalty, if any, would be less severe than if they weren't. At this point, all you can do is wait.

Herrick Jul 5, 2019 3:30 pm

I’m curious how AA corporate security would definitively tie a FT user name to a specific individual though. This can’t be the only case of its kind currently under investigation.

JonNYC Jul 5, 2019 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by Herrick (Post 31273327)
I’m curious how AA corporate security would definitively tie a FT user name to a specific individual though. This can’t be the only case of its kind currently under investigation.

It would take an analyst approx 6-10 (:)) seconds to immediately recognize the case. And only -that- long if still severely hungover from the 4th

Grmaht Jul 5, 2019 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by JonNYC (Post 31273355)
It would take an analyst approx 6-10 (:)) seconds to immediately recognize the case. And only -that- long if still severely hungover from the 4th

do you have any speculated insight into how long these audits take?

Herrick Jul 5, 2019 3:51 pm

I see what you did there JonNYC!

no1cub17 Jul 5, 2019 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by Grmaht (Post 31273368)
do you have any speculated insight into how long these audits take?

Why wouldn't you just use a normal credit card? If you didn't have any nefarious intentions and truly intended to buy the tickets, why wouldn't you just purchase them with a credit card like a normal person? I'd never even heard of the "Fly Now" card or whatever it's called. Seems many others here (mostly frequent AA flyers) hadn't either.

no1cub17 Jul 5, 2019 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by Herrick (Post 31273327)

Interesting... I would think this case would stick out like a sore thumb from the usual attempts to sell miles/SWUs, and would be very easily recognized by AA security.

wrldwide1 Jul 5, 2019 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by Grmaht (Post 31273011)
everyone seems to be pretty harsh here - I am trying to figure out how to get out of this mess knowing none of it was not intentional to defraud the airline. If I wanted to hold a seat/fare I'd go to a travel agent or pay for a hold. All I am saying is the CC we've had issues with has been the AA Fly now card. I've had the card get declined either because the payment we made had not posted or processed. in no way was there intent to abuse the system. Other than tell them that do I have any recourse? I am looking for ways to resolve this issue as I've been a loyal Exec Plat for years and have a ton of miles in my account all of which are now frozen.

Nobody’s been “harsh.” They are asking how many times since 2016 has this occurred.

AA doesn’t do this unless there is a pattern and if this has occurred more than a couple of times, it can be called a pattern. As was advised, be honest with them and see what happens.

Grmaht Jul 5, 2019 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by no1cub17 (Post 31273383)
Why wouldn't you just use a normal credit card? If you didn't have any nefarious intentions and truly intended to buy the tickets, why wouldn't you just purchase them with a credit card like a normal person? I'd never even heard of the "Fly Now" card or whatever it's called. Seems many others here (mostly frequent AA flyers) hadn't either.

the plan allows you to defer payment for 6 months before interest accrues. This is serviced by Citibank - it can only be used on AA/AA.COM

Grmaht Jul 5, 2019 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by wrldwide1 (Post 31273442)

Nobody’s been “harsh.” They are asking how many times since 2016 has this occurred.

AA doesn’t do this unless there is a pattern and if this has occurred more than a couple of times, it can be called a pattern. As was advised, be honest with them and see what happens.

thanks. that is what I did...nothing wrong with harsh feedback. at this point I don't have any other choice but wait and pray that someone will have some level of mercy and my Exec Plat status and spend will help.

wrldwide1 Jul 5, 2019 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by Grmaht (Post 31273208)
I was trying to be open and transparent and willing to cooperate quickly to resolve the matter. It sounds like the chances of this being resolved is slim to none at this point. thank for your the honesty I appreciate it.

I would assume they are going to cancel your account and if they don’t, I would be surprised.

linglingfool Jul 5, 2019 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by no1cub17 (Post 31273383)

OP can answer, but I can see niche cases where it would be useful if OP was having his travel expenses reimbursed over a time horizon that was greater than the grace period on his card, but less than 6 months.