FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   need advice - notification from AA Corporate Security (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1976900-need-advice-notification-aa-corporate-security.html)

rumboj Jul 5, 2019 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by Grmaht (Post 31272927)
We used a "fly now pay later" card - I am an authorized user of the card. The issues are tied to that card - we've had situations where the card used the payment had not processed. I did call to update a new CC when I got the email from eTDS to provide a new CC number. It hasn't sat around for weeks. This issue is tied to using that card unfortunately. this is the first time I've been notified of this issue so I was a bit taken a back and offered to ensure it never happens again as a one and only warning

Your posted message from Corporate Security indicates that they found issues dating back to 2016. I don’t think AA would have a fit over a one-off problem.

How many times has this happened?

Grmaht Jul 5, 2019 1:22 pm

The times that I have been notified that there was no authorization - was tied to our fly now pay later card. When I've used my CC and it's been declined I've contacted AA to correct. I've not let the booking just sit around for days endlessly. I've never been notified of this or even warned. I have no way to contact anyone at AA to speak to someone about this..do I just wait to hear back from them?

MiamiAirport Formerly NY George Jul 5, 2019 1:27 pm

OP how many times have you've used an invalid credit card to book flights? Again, you're not going to have an email or call from Corporate Security if you have one offs every once in awhile (like maybe once a year). At this point you have no choice but to wait and respond as they ask for information. Were you using an invalid card to hopefully hold a flight beyond 24 hours? That's what this sounds like.

Grmaht Jul 5, 2019 1:28 pm

everyone seems to be pretty harsh here - I am trying to figure out how to get out of this mess knowing none of it was not intentional to defraud the airline. If I wanted to hold a seat/fare I'd go to a travel agent or pay for a hold. All I am saying is the CC we've had issues with has been the AA Fly now card. I've had the card get declined either because the payment we made had not posted or processed. in no way was there intent to abuse the system. Other than tell them that do I have any recourse? I am looking for ways to resolve this issue as I've been a loyal Exec Plat for years and have a ton of miles in my account all of which are now frozen.

MiamiAirport Formerly NY George Jul 5, 2019 1:35 pm

Then I think I speak for most FTers. You will need to wait for AA to contact you and you need to be truthful. If you in fact made an innocent mistake you should be cleared. But again, and I'll say it again, Corporate Security would not get involved in occasional accidental one offs. We're not being harsh, you're story doesn't make any sense. If you're having problems with the fly now pay later card contact Citibank.

Grmaht Jul 5, 2019 1:37 pm

thank you....does anyone know how long these take?

C17PSGR Jul 5, 2019 1:47 pm

As I interpret the other thread, the poster in that case would do something along the lines of buying a ticket from Boston to LAX and charge it to the credit card in his profile. That credit card was invalid and wouldn't ticket but did result in holding the inventory for some period of time. If that poster wanted to actually use the ticket he/she had bought, he/she would call AA with a valid credit card. It seemed like there were many flights where he/she did not want to use the ticket he/she had purchased because there was $68,000 at issue.

I don't know how that compares to the thread here but it sounds like our OP would do something along the lines of buying a ticket from Boston to LAX and charge it to the fly now, pay later card (not sure exactly what that is ....) The payment did nt go through but did result in holding the inventory for some period of time.

But ... question for the OP ... were there any tickets you purchased, that later had the payment rejected, where you did not ultimately purchase them? That is likely to be the issue.

And, as others of have said, be truthful. I once was contacted by corporate security, had my account locked, provided the requested information, and had my account unlocked a few days later without any action. I took around a week but it was a rather simple issue.

iadisgreat Jul 5, 2019 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by Grmaht (Post 31273046)

Honestly? As long as they want it to take. I don't believe they work (or at the very least they don't make contact) over the weekends. Seems like a lot of their actions come on Fridays too and is probably by design.

mvoight Jul 5, 2019 1:52 pm

After the first time this happened, did you verify you had funds available on the credit account when you "paid" for the reservations?
It sounds like you did this more than once or twice. That is the basic issue. You had selected the option to pay for a booking when there was no credit available. That is the type of violation this seems to be about.
That is where the problem lies. At some point they should tell you exactly what they expect you to do to get account access back. Where all of these reservations that were paid without available credit on your account, eventually paid and ticketed?
It seems AA would not have this issue if it simply didn't complete the online process, unless it was able to get an authorization for the full amount. You know, like what happens every day when use our cards at stores, etc....

JonNYC Jul 5, 2019 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by Grmaht (Post 31273046)

you’ve already given them an answer in which you denied any responsibility for /knowledge of what you were doing. That’s a huge step in this process as one really only gets one chance to come clean.

If thats 100% true (that this is some huge misunderstanding), that’s one thing. If it -isn’t- or they aren’t convinced, or there’s “a bit more to the story,” you’re most of the way towards a non-recoverable situation.

Either way, I’d recommend you make alternate travel arrangements. It’s not looking good.

Finkface Jul 5, 2019 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by Grmaht (Post 31273011)
everyone seems to be pretty harsh here - I am trying to figure out how to get out of this mess knowing none of it was not intentional to defraud the airline. If I wanted to hold a seat/fare I'd go to a travel agent or pay for a hold. All I am saying is the CC we've had issues with has been the AA Fly now card. I've had the card get declined either because the payment we made had not posted or processed. in no way was there intent to abuse the system. Other than tell them that do I have any recourse? I am looking for ways to resolve this issue as I've been a loyal Exec Plat for years and have a ton of miles in my account all of which are now frozen.

Simple questions for the OP.

Was the credit card in question that you used valid? As in not expired, not cancelled, had enough credit limit for the purchase?

And if yes, did you enter all of the information correctly every time? Credit card number, expiration date, CVV, billing zip code etc with no errors or changed digits?

If yes to both, from the bolded part above, it sounds like you did not have enough available credit for the intended purchase because you tried to use it before a payment you made could be posted. Ergo, not enough credit room to make the purchase. How many times did you try this, knowing you didn’t have enough credit but made speculative bookings anyway?

Grmaht Jul 5, 2019 2:20 pm

this has happened a half dozen times to 10 times if I dig up the emails notifying me to contact eTDS which I did. there have not been any tickets that were not ticketed or cancelled by me after sitting on hold for a long time. I've already emailed them a signed and notarized affidavit that I did not willfully abuse or misuse the system and will use this audit as a one and only warning going forward. The issue has been our fly now pay later card payment has not processed (my responsibility to confirm that the cc has enough credit youre right). and I've had to use another form of payment. At this point I am at AA's mercy I don't know what else to do other than wait. It seems harsh they went ahead and cancelled all my award travel without any final response/resolution.

Jaimito Cartero Jul 5, 2019 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by Grmaht (Post 31273147)
this has happened a half dozen times to 10 times if I dig up the emails notifying me to contact eTDS which I did. there have not been any tickets that were not ticketed or cancelled by me after sitting on hold for a long time. I've already emailed them a signed and notarized affidavit that I did not willfully abuse or misuse the system and will use this audit as a one and only warning going forward. The issue has been our fly now pay later card payment has not processed (my responsibility to confirm that the cc has enough credit youre right). and I've had to use another form of payment. At this point I am at AA's mercy I don't know what else to do other than wait. It seems harsh they went ahead and cancelled all my award travel without any final response/resolution.

6-10 times is not exactly a small number.

C17PSGR Jul 5, 2019 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by Grmaht (Post 31273147)

I'm assuming that AA will often have payment declined on peoples credit cards. Not sure how often that happens to particular individual.

In your case, did you purchase all of those 6-10 tickets using a different form of payment?

swingaling Jul 5, 2019 2:29 pm

So it sounds like OP has used a maxed out credit card(s) (or card with insufficient available credit) to secure bookings multiple times over the past 3 years. Is that the gist here? Surely you must have known that you were close to the limit.

Frankly, I’m not surprised AA is unhappy with you. I’d advise caution, as CC issuers don’t appreciate these things either.

As for resolving the situation, I’d suggest you consider writing a new response and admit what you did. And stop using invalid means of payment to buy things.