Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ATC Can't Handle any Flights out of DFW?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2019, 7:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
ATC Can't Handle any Flights out of DFW?

On AA 1219 and after a 1 hour delay because of non operating APU at the gate, we've been sitting on runway for almost 2 and a half hours because ATC cant communicate with any aircraft in the area after take off. Anyone heard of such a thing? To make matters worse captain says if we don't take off soon we wont have enough fuel for take off.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 7:48 pm

Yep. Appears to be a combo of weather and a system outage.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 8:05 pm
Original Poster

Frustrating because mechanical delays made us 2 hours late, we could've made it out before if it weren't for the MX. Were headed back to the gate and dont think were going anywhere tonight. Apparently all flights tonorrow have 0 availability. I'm protected on another flight out tonight but I dont thinks that's going anywhere either. Grrr...
Old Jun 23, 2019, 8:16 pm

DFW airport sent out a tweet indicating a loss of power for ATC.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 8:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM; LH FT (*A Silver); Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite; Starwood Corporate Preferred
Old Jun 23, 2019, 8:34 pm
Original Poster

Any way to find out when the ATC issue started vs our scheduled departure time of 5:05pm?
Old Jun 23, 2019, 8:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Originally Posted by FAA1996
Any way to find out when the ATC issue started vs our scheduled departure time of 5:05pm?
19:40 local.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 8:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by econometrics
19:40 local.
Thanks, its frustrating to know we would've made it out if it wasnt for the MX
Old Jun 23, 2019, 9:36 pm

Classic example of a MX turning into a WX/ATC problem. And I guess AA would handle this one as a run of the mill WX problem
Old Jun 23, 2019, 10:08 pm

How does AA contract of carriage stipulate this should be handled? I can't find full text and the highlights on the AA page are not sufficient. My friend was on a flight that was delayed due to the outage, but then ultimately cancelled because they didn't have a pilot. Presumably due to sleep rules. She does not have travel insurance via the credit card used. They were not giving hotel comp and was wondering if it can be argued. TIA
Old Jun 23, 2019, 10:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Originally Posted by FAA1996
we've been sitting on runway for almost 2 and a half hours because ATC cant communicate with any aircraft in the area after take off.
Literally on the runway? That's frustratingly close... I've not ever been victim of a huge ATC outage so assume you could get as far as the runway itself. I guess as an EXP 2MM you know the difference between runway and taxiway/apron...
Old Jun 23, 2019, 10:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA MM, Hilton Honors Diamond
Wow that’s maddening; good luck.

I have 2 family members flying tomorrow (6/24) LAX-DFW on separate flights and both of their flights have been cancelled. I’m guessing it’s due to this since it looks like all the major weather has already passed. Heck, my DFW-LAX flight this past Friday 6/21 was canceled 4 days out on Monday. I can’t wait to see what their on-time performance stats are for June. Between their labor unions, the bad weather and this ATC deal I bet it’s the worst month in a very long time...
Old Jun 23, 2019, 10:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
any movement on this? Boarding AA 126 from HKG to DFW shortly...
Old Jun 23, 2019, 11:01 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by bwahoops11
How does AA contract of carriage stipulate this should be handled? I can't find full text and the highlights on the AA page are not sufficient. My friend was on a flight that was delayed due to the outage, but then ultimately cancelled because they didn't have a pilot. Presumably due to sleep rules. She does not have travel insurance via the credit card used. They were not giving hotel comp and was wondering if it can be argued. TIA
Cant imagine AA will pay with a Tracon outage. Presumably the pilot couldn't get in because of the issue.
Old Jun 23, 2019, 11:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Fraser
Literally on the runway? That's frustratingly close... I've not ever been victim of a huge ATC outage so assume you could get as far as the runway itself. I guess as an EXP 2MM you know the difference between runway and taxiway/apron...
We were 2nd for takeoff when everything stopped. So just short of the runway.
wrp96 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.