Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Never flying AA again / AA is horrid / I hate AA (consolidated 2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Never flying AA again / AA is horrid / I hate AA (consolidated 2019)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2019, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines
Angry 'I rolled the dice....and lost....

Booked on 352 back home today from SJC. Plane already at the gate feeling good....Got comfortably seated in my normal 7A (I was 193 on the upgrade list) boarded, closed the door and the flight attendant comes on "sorry folks there is bad weather in Dallas we are currently on a 3 hour delay so if you would grab your things and disembark please". I get off the plane and knowing 3 hour delays mean rolling delays on this crap airline and a usual last minute cancellation 6 hours later so I call the EXP line immediately.

I asked to be put on 470 to phx then out tomorrow morning at 10:55 AM back to DFW. I chose phx being the closest hub to my home and also knowing that both cities will be sunny tomorrow.

Made my hotel res then walked down to the next gate to board however the inbound from phx was late due to mx. Hmmm......I already start to worry. Plane comes in an hour late, quick turn, boarding door opens and as they are about to call CK's to board the gate agent answers the phone and tells us "there is an odor issue in the back of the plane" 30 minutes later the monitor says boarding delayed an hour. 5 minutes later in the corner of my eye I see the bright red background color of the monitor and know what this already means....canceled.

I called EXP line ....there is a 2.5 hour wait....

I auto book on the 6:15 am flight via phx tomorrow morning. As I get into the doubletree hotel shuttle bus I see my original flight climb out for DFW.
atbPy likes this.

Last edited by JDiver; Jun 20, 2019 at 9:41 pm Reason: Restore original post title
Old Jun 19, 2019, 8:32 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by enviroian
Booked on 352 back home today from SJC. Plane already at the gate feeling good....Got comfortably seated in my normal 7A (I was 193 on the upgrade list) boarded, closed the door and the flight attendant comes on "sorry folks there is bad weather in Dallas we are currently on a 3 hour delay so if you would grab your things and disembark please". I get off the plane and knowing 3 hour delays mean rolling delays on this crap airline and a usual last minute cancellation 6 hours later so I call the EXP line immediately.

I asked to be put on 470 to phx then out tomorrow morning at 10:55 AM back to DFW. I chose phx being the closest hub to my home and also knowing that both cities will be sunny tomorrow.

Made my hotel res then walked down to the next gate to board however the inbound from phx was late due to mx. Hmmm......I already start to worry. Plane comes in an hour late, quick turn, boarding door opens and as they are about to call CK's to board the gate agent answers the phone and tells us "there is an odor issue in the back of the plane" 30 minutes later the monitor says boarding delayed an hour. 5 minutes later in the corner of my eye I see the bright red background color of the monitor and know what this already means....canceled.

I called EXP line ....there is a 2.5 hour wait....

I auto book on the 6:15 am flight via phx tomorrow morning. As I get into the doubletree hotel shuttle bus I see my original flight climb out for DFW.
Feel far you, but who among us have NOT suffered similar misfortunes ? When I was traveling a lot, I had to take it as part of life.
enviroian and BWISkyGuy like this.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Dude... do we seriously need 2 threads a week on this?
Old Jun 19, 2019, 9:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Antarius
Dude... do we seriously need 2 threads a week on this?
I hadn't posted a similar horror story since my TUL flight over a month ago.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 11:15 pm

Why didn't you stay at the gate until your original flight departed? That seems like common sense when you are trying to get rerouted due to irrops. GA would have likely been able to get you back on the flight if you had just stuck around and asked.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 6:20 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Weather is weather, particularly summer weather which is unpredictable. The OP rolled the dice and lost. There are far worst things to worry about. We've all been in this situation and wish we had stayed with our original travel plans. At the end of the day AA (or any other airline) can't part the skies to ensure one arrives on time. It's about bad enough the once every 3 year flyer (aka "Kettles") believes that somehow it's the "evil airline's" fault that it's snowing in Chicago or thunderstorms in Dallas. Or that it might be a beautiful day in California but the a/c just doesn't appear out of thin air, it comes from somewhere-somewhere that might be having extreme weather.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 7:58 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
[<redacted>

You referred to AA as a "crap airline" because of the weather at DFW.
You chose to voluntarily reroute and got short when your original flight departed and you were stuck.

This is a big country. There is a lot of bad weather. That weather causes delays and sometimes cancellations. On DL & UA as well. Why is this even in the AA forum when it's about the fact that weather sometimes causes flight delays and sometimes when you choose to reroute you lose out?
nancypants likes this.

Last edited by JDiver; Jun 20, 2019 at 9:44 pm Reason: Redacted previously deleted post content
Old Jun 20, 2019, 10:01 am

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat

The title of this thread is accurate. I said I rolled and lost.
Pretty much says all that anyone needs to know right there. It happens. Can't always be winners.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 10:13 am
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
<redacted>

20 years ago I was in the office and my secretary told me "The boss is REALLY mad. They just cancelled his flight home from xxxx." My response, which applies to this thread, was "People who get mad don't fly enough. If you fly enough, you consider that part of the process and you get to work on alternate plans."
Dallas49er likes this.

Last edited by JDiver; Jun 20, 2019 at 9:45 pm Reason: Redacted previously deleted post content
Old Jun 20, 2019, 1:02 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
Weather is weather, particularly summer weather which is unpredictable. The OP rolled the dice and lost. There are far worst things to worry about. We've all been in this situation and wish we had stayed with our original travel plans. At the end of the day AA (or any other airline) can't part the skies to ensure one arrives on time. It's about bad enough the once every 3 year flyer (aka "Kettles") believes that somehow it's the "evil airline's" fault that it's snowing in Chicago or thunderstorms in Dallas. Or that it might be a beautiful day in California but the a/c just doesn't appear out of thin air, it comes from somewhere-somewhere that might be having extreme weather.
It didn't sound like OP was blaming the weather - but rather the fact that AA cancelled the second flight instead of fixing the issue or finding a replacement aircraft (after all, it is a hub, right?).
enviroian likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 2:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
AA is a crap airline, bottom of the barrel. I wasn't aware you didn't know that..
You repeatedly say that. Yet you continue to fly AA instead of the alternatives. In this case SJC-DAL on WN or AS.

Noise.

Originally Posted by Gig103
It didn't sound like OP was blaming the weather - but rather the fact that AA cancelled the second flight instead of fixing the issue or finding a replacement aircraft (after all, it is a hub, right?).
Wrong. SJC is not an AA hub.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 3:18 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by bse118
You repeatedly say that. Yet you continue to fly AA instead of the alternatives. In this case SJC-DAL on WN or AS.

Noise.

D'oh, I knew it mentioned PHX and DFW, those were destinations not origination.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bse118

Noise.

company mandate to fly AA, sorry charlie for the noise.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Gig103
exactly. Of course I wasn't blaming the weather. I was blaming AA for sending bucket of bolts 319 to SJC after a mx delay at Phoenix only to have another (This time it was "odor").
Old Jun 20, 2019, 3:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
company mandate to fly AA, sorry charlie for the noise.
Well perhaps you should be taking your issues up with your travel department then? As they are the ones that could actually maybe do something to give you some options? @:-)

I don't understand all the vitriol and constant complaining without any willingness to do anything about it on your side...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.