Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chicken Leg? A new low for 77W F LHR-MIA

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2019, 12:49 pm

Programs: CK or bust
Who doesn’t love a dish that has wings and flies? (Or rather, that once flew). I can think of no more fitting an ending than being served in the front cabin of a 77W instead of a fast food joint.

Fowl humor aside, I’ve had chicken dishes on plenty of flights in three class F service on other domestic and international carriers.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by writerguyfl
I really only know his name and reputation via television, but Daniel Boulud serves braised chicken legs in his restaurants. Or, at least he did at the time these articles/guides were written:

Bar Boulud in London: https://www.themobilefoodguide.com/r...dge/bar-boulud
db Bistro Moderne in Miami: https://www.miamiherald.com/miami-co...225875020.html

And you can make it at home using his recipe on the Food and Wine magazine website: https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/...h-green-olives

If the ingredient is good enough for him, it's good enough for an airline. At least that's my opinion.
Why he is famous is because he makes food taste good. That's the whole point of a chef. You can take a regular person with no cooking ability, give them better quality ingredients, and the chef will still make better tasting food.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by enpremiere
Fowl humor aside, I’ve had chicken dishes on plenty of flights in three class F service on other domestic and international carriers.
Honestly, I don't think I have. They really should use duck as a poultry option (or even goose, which I've had in LH F, though it was much better in the lounge, or poussin or something chi-chi).

Steaks CAN be prepared properly to temperature on an airplane; not sure how much of it comes down to the equipment in the galley vs. personal attention from the FA vs. proper preparation from the caterer, but I had a pretty darn good medium-rare NY strip on CX a few years ago. I think the braised beef cuts are a bit of a cop-out (I mean, they're pot roast basically), but I understand why they do them. FWIW the beef cheeks I had in LH J a bunch of years ago tasted game-y, not sure if that is typical of the cut.

But IMO, they should go for veal or lamb as a meat option. I've had a number of very good racks of lamb in F, including on AA many years ago.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 2:16 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Honestly, I don't think I have. They really should use duck as a poultry option (or even goose, which I've had in LH F, though it was much better in the lounge, or poussin or something chi-chi).

Steaks CAN be prepared properly to temperature on an airplane; not sure how much of it comes down to the equipment in the galley vs. personal attention from the FA vs. proper preparation from the caterer, but I had a pretty darn good medium-rare NY strip on CX a few years ago. I think the braised beef cuts are a bit of a cop-out (I mean, they're pot roast basically), but I understand why they do them. FWIW the beef cheeks I had in LH J a bunch of years ago tasted game-y, not sure if that is typical of the cut.

But IMO, they should go for veal or lamb as a meat option. I've had a number of very good racks of lamb in F, including on AA many years ago.
SQ (https://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/u...enu-singapore/), JAL (https://www.jal.co.jp/inter/service/...906_201908.pdf) and EK (https://cdn.ek.aero/downloads/ek/pdf...d6cbd7e3d07300) are among the airlines that serve chicken in F. There's nothing wrong with well prepared chicken.

Some airlines can properly prepare a steak on a plane. I've never had a steak cook beyond medium rare on JAL. I seem to get awful and overcooked steaks on AA, UA, DL, BA, and EY, among others. I think for airlines that have difficulty serving a steak at the proper temperature, they should focus on preparing cuts that they can serve correctly. For airlines with sub-par catering, that rules out items like duck (that requires proper rendering), lamb (to be served on the rare side) and other delicacies.

Last edited by Beltway2A; Jun 20, 2019 at 2:22 pm
Old Jun 20, 2019, 2:44 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum Elite, AS MVP Gold 75K, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Beltway2A
SQ (https://www.singaporeair.com/en_UK/u...enu-singapore/), JAL (https://www.jal.co.jp/inter/service/...906_201908.pdf) and EK (https://cdn.ek.aero/downloads/ek/pdf...d6cbd7e3d07300) are among the airlines that serve chicken in F. There's nothing wrong with well prepared chicken.

Some airlines can properly prepare a steak on a plane. I've never had a steak cook beyond medium rare on JAL. I seem to get awful and overcooked steaks on AA, UA, DL, BA, and EY, among others. I think for airlines that have difficulty serving a steak at the proper temperature, they should focus on preparing cuts that they can serve correctly. For airlines with sub-par catering, that rules out items like duck (that requires proper rendering), lamb (to be served on the rare side) and other delicacies.
Agreed. I've had such beautiful-sounding meat meals on a menu that have tasted like three times reheated leftovers. It should only taste twice-reheated, max
strickerj likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 3:28 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by NickB
What an odd comment to make.
There is chicken leg and there is chicken leg. If you are talking chlorine-washed, US supermarket bottom range chicken, then yes. If you are talking Poulet de Bresse chicken leg, then it is a different kettle of fish altogether and a completely different order of magnitude in terms of cost (and of course taste).
You will have multiple price points and multiple quality levels when it comes to chicken, probably more than many other meats. Guy Savoy has no issue including chicken legs on the menu of his 3-star Michelin restaurant in Paris.
I would not expect chicken on AA, even in F, being among the most expensive chickens that you might buy but I would not expect it to be among the lowest either. Chicken legs strike me as eminently suitable on an airline F menu as long as the quality of ingredients and that of preparation are there.
I'd fully expect AA to be using the cheapest meats they can get their hands on. Why beef cheeks instead of filet as they served me last year from LAX-PVG in business class? That one was delicious!
Old Jun 20, 2019, 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by teemuflyer
More expensive than the ingredients in the Gnocchi- potatoes and flour ;-) . Being a Texan, we love our bbq'd brisket, which happens to be a relatively cheap cut of meat (used to be very cheap).
Brisket is some nAAsty meat. But then again I'm not Tex-ish. I'm from where BBQ is pig, not a grisly dense tough cut of cow.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Unfortunately most Americans like and eat chicken breast, beef, shrimp and salmon. What is the airline chef supposed to do with this limited palate and eating habits, not much...so the same menu rotates over and over with little change...They try to mix it up a bit with a chicken leg here and there and there is outrage, lol...

If I had my choice the options in J/F would be snails, lamb, rabbit, quail and a whole stuffed fish, like a trout, red snapper, sea bass or sea bream.

Last edited by nk15; Jun 21, 2019 at 8:20 am
Old Jun 20, 2019, 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by sfoeuroflyer
Frankly I think airlines should devote more thought to dishes that re-heat well and avoid ingredients that are prone to overcooking....unless they can more tightly control the pre-cooking on the ground and the re-heating in the air.
Yes, but if they do that they end up with threads on FT complaining about how the meat choices were all so cheap...
yytleisure likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 9:06 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Plat, NK $9 fare club
I'm a dark meat guy, so chicken leg sounds quite delicious...........too much chicken breast going around on lots of airlines right now!
Old Jun 20, 2019, 10:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by nk15
Unfortunately most Americans like and eat chicken breast, beef, shrimp and salmon. What does the airline chef supposed to do with this limited palate and eating habits, not much...so the same menu rotates over and over with little change...They try to mix it up a bit with a chicken leg here and there and there is outrage, lol...

If I had my choice the options in J/F would be snails, lamb, rabbit, quail and a whole stuffed fish, like a trout, red snapper, sea bass or sea bream.
🤢
LovePrunes likes this.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 7:48 am

Programs: AA PLT 2.7 MM, DL GLD, UA Prem, BW Diamond, PC PLT, HH Diamond
And what exactly is the issue here? There are other options on the menu. If the chicken is offensive then order something else.

It not like the time I was on Air Tahiti Nui PPT-LAX and in J the choice was shrimp on a bed of yellow lettuce ( it used to be green) and nothing else. Kinda made the "we apologize if your first selection is not available laughable".
Old Jun 21, 2019, 8:46 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Originally Posted by mapleg
They may as well just order in a KFC dinner and reheat it. Sounds about the same.
Sounds better to me, actually.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 9:06 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by LovePrunes
Brisket is some nAAsty meat. But then again I'm not Tex-ish. I'm from where BBQ is pig, not a grisly dense tough cut of cow.
That's why proper slow smoking and a good, well marbled brisket makes all the difference. If done right, you can eat the brisket with a plastic fork, because it is so tender and also full of flavor. But I like my bbq'd pig too

Don't forget beef ribs either. A real Fred Flintstone experience.. Now that would be hard to serve on a plane, even in F!
Old Jun 21, 2019, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
This is the other staple of the American diet, fast food. AA already serves cheeseburgers in domestic first. In a few years international J/F will be a choice between KFC, McDs, BK, and Taco Bell.

This is what we are working with, culturally, lol....
https://www.ispot.tv/ad/I8VJ/kraft-c...-song-by-enya#

Last edited by nk15; Jun 21, 2019 at 2:31 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.