Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Moving to BNA from Chicago, stick with AA or???

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2019, 8:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: National Executive Elite, IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Gold, SW A List, Marriott Gold

Relocating from Chicago to Nashville. I am currently Gold on AA and with a little bit of effort I’ll probably requalify for Gold on AA for 2020.

Wondering for BNA based flyers who do you stick with for business travel? I know WN used to have a big presence at BNA but I’m not sure what it’s like these days.

I know DL recently announced BNA as a focus city but not sure what that will actually mean in practice when it comes to flights and decent pricing.

Who is the biggest player at BNA? Should I bother trying to keep AA Gold?
Old Jun 16, 2019, 10:40 pm

Programs: AA,UA,AS
This depends mainly on what you value from an airline. Is most of your flying to a single destination, or is it more sporadic? WN has by far the most destinations. It also depends on what you want from a FF prospective. Not to be offensive, but gold status and equivalents on other airlines can be pretty much worthless as you can get similar benefits by signing up for an airline credit card. It depends on what you look for the most out of the FF benefits, and how flexible your schedule is, these days loyalty at a lower level isn't really worth it.
Old Jun 16, 2019, 10:54 pm

Originally Posted by freeagent
This depends mainly on what you value from an airline. Is most of your flying to a single destination, or is it more sporadic? WN has by far the most destinations. It also depends on what you want from a FF prospective. Not to be offensive, but gold status and equivalents on other airlines can be pretty much worthless as you can get similar benefits by signing up for an airline credit card. It depends on what you look for the most out of the FF benefits, and how flexible your schedule is, these days loyalty at a lower level isn't really worth it.
I can’t get MCE seats at 24 hours or free same day standby with a credit card. In the past 18 months as a AA Gold I’ve gotten well over $2K worth of MCE seats at T-24, not to mention multiple upgrades. Add in shorter call wait times in IROPS and Gold has been well worth it for me,
MSP_Monopoly likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 7:07 am

You know where your destinations typically are. Check against ITA Matrix and see who goes where and what you prefer overall. Then check on WN’s site for the same.

Balance it out, see what works best overall. Then pick one and stick with it to best accumulate your points and such. Might be AA, might be DL.
jcatman likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 4:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: National Executive Elite, IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Gold, SW A List, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by jliehr

I can’t get MCE seats at 24 hours or free same day standby with a credit card. In the past 18 months as a AA Gold I’ve gotten well over $2K worth of MCE seats at T-24, not to mention multiple upgrades. Add in shorter call wait times in IROPS and Gold has been well worth it for me,
1000% agree! Gold is most valuable for me for free same day standby, although living in ORD there are many flights each day but that won’t be the case at BNA. Free MCE seats are a nice bonus but not worth chasing status for.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 8:39 pm
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
Where will you be flying to?
Old Jun 18, 2019, 8:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aisleorwindow
Where will you be flying to?
Frequent destinations are:
FLL/MIA
MSP
MEX
LHR
LAS

Old Jun 18, 2019, 1:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by MSP_Monopoly

Frequent destinations are:
FLL/MIA
MSP
MEX
LHR
LAS

Other than MIA/FLL (AA/WN) and maybe MSP/LAS on WN (?) none of these routes will be a direct flight. LHR there might be a code share flight on BA from BNA. You'd probably be better to stick with AA and try to hit PLT. You'd get lounge access on flights to LHR.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 3:26 pm

Programs: Non-Affiliated
Stick with AA is my initial thought. MIA has a direct flight, and the LHR does code share on BA, plus the BNA club is nice. 7x a day to DFW, 9 to ORD, 7 to CLT, 7 to NYC, and 5 to PHL should all provide decent connections.

DL is also a pretty good option, putting you one stop to all your intended destinations, except for MSP. (They run LAS occasionally for events...) And with 11 flights to ATL a day, 6 to DTW, 5 to MSP, and 9 to NYC, you should be able to find connections to anywhere you need to go with agreeable timings. The current SkyClub is small, but they are building a much bigger one soon.

Nashville is a great town, but year after year it is turning more and more into Atlanta. BNA airport will be seeing a lot of construction over the next few years.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 3:34 pm

Programs: Global Entry
I don't think you fly frequently enough to make the original question mean much. That you should fly whichever airline that provides the most convenience for the reasonable price to your destination would be my suggestion. That may be AA or another airline depending on your destination and time of travel.

Btw, if/when you become AA plat, you will think that AA gold was not worth much and will never want to go back to the baseline tier.
eponymous_coward likes this.

Last edited by flyinggum; Jun 18, 2019 at 3:42 pm
Old Jun 18, 2019, 4:05 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
How far along are you toward million miler, or other overall status?

When I moved from the Phoenix area to the Austin area a few years ago I went through something similar. AA and UA have many flights to their DFW and IAH hubs throughout the day. All 3 of the majors have at least a few flights to their hubs, WN has a significant presence, there are minor domestic airlines, and BA.
So far I've stuck with AA. Even forgoing some nonstop flights (AUS-DFW-SLC, AUS-DFW-ABQ to name some), I've stuck with AA. Between work and vacation travel I usually have enough travel to make Plat to EXP status. I've done a few mileage runs to bump up to EXP the past few years.
I'm not a paying club member, but when I have access for international itineries, the AUS club agents have been very helpful. There are a few check-in agents who are great, but they are often stressed to get the line moving, while those in the club are a bit more relaxed.

If I were you, I'd stick with AA for a year or if you will reach million miler before then, and after that re-assess how things have been going.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 4:11 pm

AA Gold is more valuable than UA Silver - you get priority check in flying any oneworld airline and I believe you get fast track in LHR and other int airport if you fly on AA or BA.
Plus free drinks when you get to pick free MCE seat at t-24.
Chasing status on WN seems pointless to me - no FC and no assigned seats
Old Jun 18, 2019, 4:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Also the BNA AC AAngels are some of the best in the system!
Old Jun 18, 2019, 4:42 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by MSP_Monopoly
I know WN used to have a big presence at BNA but I’m not sure what it’s like these days.

Still does.
Check https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nashvi...tional_Airport

And

I would probably try to stick with AA (there is a BA to LHR)

BUT I would probably fly WN whenever it makes sense (Even at the risk of not qualifying for AA elite)

IMO,
WN non stop >>> two legs on AA's MCE.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 5:07 pm

If going with AA, take a look into crediting to BA. Count up your flights, check for tier points, and see where you would end up. If silver or better, it may be worth it for you. Including lounge access on domestic itineraries, which in IRROPS can be a real saving grace.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.