Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA problems are becoming tougher to fix when there is a lack of buy in

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA problems are becoming tougher to fix when there is a lack of buy in

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2019, 3:08 pm

Programs: Does Non Rev count?
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
I don't mean to make excuses for the C-suite but these all sound like flight crew effort level issues. Seems like the leadership should stem from the Captain and he should keep his crew motivated and performing.
While as a captain, I do what I can to motivate the troops, the purser is really the one who should set the tone for the cabin experience. I've seen awesome ones, and sadly, plenty of bad ones, too....
Old Jun 12, 2019, 3:28 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
I don't mean to make excuses for the C-suite but these all sound like flight crew effort level issues. Seems like the leadership should stem from the Captain and he should keep his crew motivated and performing.
If it really worked like that. But it doesn’t. If this was the Navy and crew and officers were assigned for a period of time, that’d be a good analogy.

Inspired leadership teams can turn companies around. I’ve been part of successful efforts to change corporate culture. The current leadership team seems concerned with cost cutting measures - eliminate hard IFE, because it can cost $5k + ongoing maintenance per chair; density (Oasis); D0 for the stats; court pilots and FAs for the merger, everyone else will come around (wrong! they’ll feel cheated and left out!) ; reduce meal quality, diversity, hours; cut, cut, cut. I’ve been flying AA since the 1940s, and this year it’s the worst I’ve seen it.

If leadership doesn’t care about the self-loading freight, why would the passenger facing or background employees care? They’ll merely reflect their personal values on the job, which is why we have some excellent employees - but there’s no corporate values or culture to instruct the rest. Lead and enthuse our employee teams? Huh? What’s that about?

I dropped from EP this February, and have lifetime Platinum. This yeAAr has been punctuated by high prices, BE service and lack of fare transparency, operational failures, mechanical and “mechanical” delays, highly reliable 787s AA apparently can’t fly reliably, Flagship flights with terrible on-time stats, nasty hub weather (beyond AA control, admittedly), often cranky or even surly, lackadaisical or/and untrained ground staff (I assure you I’m seeing this on other venues than FT), cancelled flights from the 3M8 groundings, etc. How much am I likely to fly AA the second half of 2019? As much as I’ve flown the first half. Nada. Zero. Bupkis. AA undoubtedly doesn’t care about me - but there are more than a few high value flyers out there eschewing AA, and booking CX, JL, QR etc. if it’s at all close in convenience.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 3:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Most flights still go without a hitch and there are plenty of employees at AA that love their job and their paxs. However, operationally AA has fallen behind and it shows in KPIs and financial metrics. They've got double the revenues of WN but about the same operating income. Parker is too much of a numbers guy and he likely shoves difficult scenarios onto employees. Clearly some of the hubs can't effectively deal with banked flights. FAs are now dealing with even tighter quarters which leads to in flight stress and their morale being depressed.

Ultimately the BOD will be forced to act. Parker can't justify the lousy financial performance, setting aside some of the bad press. Will AA get someone with vision and willing to spend $$$ on the brand? That I might doubt. Ben Baldanza might be available.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 4:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
Wow, lots of Fort Worth HQ employees posting in this thread today. This isn't a flight crew or even ground crew problem, this is a leadership problem that starts at the top. Dougie boy needs to start prepping his resume because he isn't long for the position.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 8:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 2 Million Miler
Originally Posted by 757FO
While as a captain, I do what I can to motivate the troops, the purser is really the one who should set the tone for the cabin experience. I've seen awesome ones, and sadly, plenty of bad ones, too....
Had a great purser on my last flight back from Tokyo and the crew in J was very good. Had so many bad ones on these flights to and from Tokyo, it was refreshing to get a solid crew - the purser, I believe, really set the tone.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 9:13 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by robertablake
Had a great purser on my last flight back from Tokyo and the crew in J was very good. Had so many bad ones on these flights to and from Tokyo, it was refreshing to get a solid crew - the purser, I believe, really set the tone.
In my opinion, that was more because of personal power, because in AA Pursers have no actual titular power. They get a few extra bucks for taking charge of certain paperwork.

Unlike some other airlines, there is no lead or supervisory cabin crew position onboard. BA, Cathay, etc. OTOH do have customer service manager type positions on board longhaul flights, AFAIK.
nancypants likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 10:21 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Plat, NK $9 fare club
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
Clearly some of the hubs can't effectively deal with banked flights.
I wish the airline would pay attention to this. It sure has caused lots of issues for me.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 11:23 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
Originally Posted by TravelLawyer
I don't think we are disagreeing, but isn't this also an issue of leadership? I have seen companies turn tired and disgruntled masses into efficiency machines. There are many case studies done about this very thing - without resorting to waiting for masses of your employee base quitting, retiring or otherwise leaving the company. There are entire consulting firms built around company culture and change management - and it starts with the leadership.
And will end just as quickly in failure when whoever comes in and has to deal with AA's UNIONS, and their unenlightened, greedy, toxic self interest.

I just can see the FA picket lines outside Terminal D in DFW, chanting,"No givebacks! No PDBs! No givebacks! No service standards!".

Last edited by Dallas49er; Jun 13, 2019 at 6:49 am
Old Jun 12, 2019, 11:48 pm

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, BA Gold, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by GunsOfNavarone
Yesterday I flew AA399, DFW to ANC, in J.
Sounds like a frustrating experience. I flew ANC-DFW in J recently, and everything was executed pretty flawlessly. I was actually fairly impressed.

I suppose OP’s experience highlights that inconsistency remains an issue at AA, although the weather delay was simply unfortunate and is a common issue at DFW this time of year.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 11:55 pm

Originally Posted by GTITAN
Echoing AAK100, while it may not be popular and I think Chairman Parker has issues for certain, don't forget he turned America West into American Airlines.
The man seems to have a penchant for arranging mergers. Now that he can't anymore, he's out of his element.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 12:18 am
Suspended

Programs: AV, AA, BA, CM, UA, Hertz, Marriott, Hilton
Originally Posted by formeraa
The board needs to get rid of Dougie and get a real leader... Does Bob Crandall have a son or even a grandson trained in finance/management???
!Muchachos! Cuidado! I think I understand your meaning. But maybe he has a DAUGHTER or GRANDDAUGHTER who can do such an excellent job no??!
Dallas49er, oopsz, lupine and 3 others like this.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 12:44 am

Originally Posted by formeraa
The board needs to get rid of Dougie and get a real leader... Does Bob Crandall have a son or even a grandson trained in finance/management???
Finance/Management? HOW ABOUT, wait for it..... wait for it....

A SALES GUY/GAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Todays Millenials, GenXers, etc. with their fancy Harvard, Wharton, and heaven forbid(!) stanford MBA's are truly & totally lost, and clueless, if they can't spreadsheet/Excell the unspreadsheetable. Sales.

Point 1. The definition of a salesman used to be a guy/gal who could tell you to go to hell, and you would look forward to the trip!

Point 2. Throughout history, Soldiers/Employees have followed
GENERALS into battle. Followed. Not one great corporate leader, IMHO, has come out of accounting, legal, route planning, purchasing, or the cesspool known as HR.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 12:46 am

Originally Posted by ReinaDeLaSelva
!Muchachos! Cuidado! I think I understand your meaning. But maybe he has a DAUGHTER or GRANDDAUGHTER who can do such an excellent job no??!
You are so right! I have amended my last post! Thank you!
lupine likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 4:43 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
I think that most of us on this board can see where problems are with AA, from the management down.. but once again we are only probably less then .5% of the passengers who fly AA
Their planes are running full, and unfortunately most passengers dont have the time to submit a note for bad service or lack of service,probably because they dont fly AA enough times?
I myself, having been using other OW airlines to get to where I need to be.. on the whole been very happy, got a TATL flight on AA in a few weeks, (my first of this year) lets see
nancypants likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by fotographer
I think that most of us on this board can see where problems are with AA, from the management down.. but once again we are only probably less then .5% of the passengers who fly AA
Their planes are running full, and unfortunately most passengers dont have the time to submit a note for bad service or lack of service,probably because they dont fly AA enough times?
I myself, having been using other OW airlines to get to where I need to be.. on the whole been very happy, got a TATL flight on AA in a few weeks, (my first of this year) lets see
I disagree - they may be full, but AA is lagging the industry in financial metrics too. So it isn't like they are making money hand -over-fist to justify their poor OTP and other issues.

Price stuff cheap enough, people will fly. But if you dont care about anything else you chase off high value customers. See UA/CO in 2012.
PlatinumScum likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.