Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Flight attendant fills overhead bin with personal items, rude to passenger

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flight attendant fills overhead bin with personal items, rude to passenger

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2019, 6:43 pm

Just flew on VX plane, and I think the FA was also with VX because she took her stuff from the overhead so the passengers in row 1 who did not board immediately had space to put their stuff. Why are nice people like her the extreme exception?
I guess being considerate is verboten on AA, particularly if you work for them
wrp96 and _fx like this.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 6:45 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
I always thought that was the purpose of the closet (besides hanging passenger coats) even though I know not all planes have one.
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 7:25 pm

Bags from cargo hold all go to baggage claim when gate checked.
other than baby strollers, never seen any bags get placed on the jetway after arrival.

FAs sometimes work multiple flights a day on different planes.
so a FA might complete one flight, then have a rest of maybe a few hours or less n then go to another gate in the same airport for a different flight.
Might be the same crew or they could be split up.
obviously the FA cant check in a bag n then retrieve from baggage claim.
FAs often get pulled from a flight to cover another flight in the event of irrops or other matters like another FA getting sick.
it would take too long for baggage handlers to go search for the FA bag in the luggage hold if bag was checked in.

FAs sometimes have a schedule of 5 days or more before returning to base.
So they need enough clothes n stuff for those days.

Originally Posted by Uncle Nonny
Gate check would be a nice compromise. Their bags would be there waiting for them on the jetway. They'd of course, get to keep a personal item with them on the plane. ; )
TWA884 and nancypants like this.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 7:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Owner of 2,000 TWA shares
Originally Posted by HawaiiO
Bags from cargo hold all go to baggage claim when gate checked.
other than baby strollers, never seen any bags get placed on the jetway after arrival.

FAs sometimes work multiple flights a day on different planes.
so a FA might complete one flight, then have a rest of maybe a few hours or less n then go to another gate in the same airport for a different flight.
Might be the same crew or they could be split up.
obviously the FA cant check in a bag n then retrieve from baggage claim.
FAs often get pulled from a flight to cover another flight in the event of irrops or other matters like another FA getting sick.
it would take too long for baggage handlers to go search for the FA bag in the luggage hold if bag was checked in.

FAs sometimes have a schedule of 5 days or more before returning to base.
So they need enough clothes n stuff for those days.
Seriously? Happens on most RJs I've been on. It's not that difficult. A clearly marked and sequestered crew bag is no more difficult to retrieve than a stroller. I, too, need stuff. I have a typical schedule of 15 days before returning to my base and my bags fit real nice in the bay. I think you're over complicating things .
Old Jun 11, 2019, 7:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by bitterproffit
Life is good when you aren't captive to one alliance.
I disagree, being able to leverage alliance benefits on airlines you rarely fly otherwise are huge, I'm *G for life and that's been great when I find myself on a LH flight in Europe for example. I would also say that out of the big 3 OW has the best benefits, and second place (*A) is distant. Also regards to the OP, w/r/t JFK-LHR BA/AA are the dominant carriers - for example tomorrow there are 12 nonstop flights between AA/BA, VS has 6, DL has 2. If that's the route you need to fly...."voting with your wallet" becomes somewhat more difficult.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 8:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
IMO FAs abuse their allotment....I posted this about Hawaii flight crews rolling up to the gate with like 5 bags stacked on top of each other like they were traveling back to Dallas with everything they own.

Meanwhile I was on the same flight into Hawaii with them and I survived quite nicely with my backpack. Go figure :/
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 8:39 pm

Programs: AA Bonsai EXP (2.9 MM), AS MVPG
Going for even greater.
Spiff likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 9:00 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Plat, NK $9 fare club
Originally Posted by JonNYC
There is zero chance of this changing anytime soon.........

The answer, IMHO, is to fly another airline.
Realistically, when flying USA domestic flights, what is the other option? Delta, United, Southwest, (and when available) Spirit & Frontier all have their share of issues. There's no "proper" airline in the USA these days.

I fly American most often, but have been on all the last year or so. It's an industry-wide issue to this country's airlines. Poor service. Though I'll say that universally Spirit & Southwest have had the friendliest and most helpful employees.

I say tough luck...
enviroian and nancypants like this.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 9:10 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Spanish
Realistically, when flying USA domestic flights...
This wasn't one.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 9:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by Spanish
Realistically, when flying USA domestic flights, what is the other option? Delta, United, Southwest, (and when available) Spirit & Frontier all have their share of issues. There's no "proper" airline in the USA these days.

I fly American most often, but have been on all the last year or so. It's an industry-wide issue to this country's airlines. Poor service. Though I'll say that universally Spirit & Southwest have had the friendliest and most helpful employees.

I say tough luck...
Exactly. Saying fly another airline is shortsighted in today’s arena. This isn’t 2000 it’s 2019
nancypants likes this.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 10:01 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
Originally Posted by salut0

By contrast, on AA JFK-LHR aside from this disagreeable encounter with the FA, there were no drinks runs and they insisted the shades be lowered even though it was a day flight.

I've discussed that issue on FT in another thread, but my hunch now is that they do that to encourage passengers to sleep so they have to work less hard. I say that because I also often find AA transatlantic flight attendants chatting on their own in the galley, curtain closed, practically bristling when “disturbed” by a passenger for a request.

This all adds up to a feeling that on AA the priority is flight attendant convenience not serving passengers.
Especially JFK-the WORST!

I have had this happen several times, and politely asked them to move it. "Fragile" my posterior. What a (insert adjective here).

I hope your complaint included the FA's name, if you could get it. Usually, these types travel through the cabin incognito-all forms of identification conveniently "hidden".

Just another case of management continually surrendering control of the asylum to the inmates.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 10:35 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
Originally Posted by ajeleonard
This shouldn't happen

It does happen

There's not much you can do about it other than vote with your wallet
As stated elsewhere, I have.

There is zero chance of this changing anytime soon-- and I expect it to gradually get bit worse over the next few months.

The answer, IMHO, is to fly another airline vs. groveling for "some bonus miles" and continuing to spend your $ and write in complaints that will do absolutely nothing to change the-- awful-- status quo-- nothing's gonna change in this area.
Wow! Coming from you, that's a pretty strong statement. And an indication, from someone "in the know", that maybe we should all read the sign above the entrance to Hell in Dante's "Inferno"-"Abandon all hope, ye who enter here!", and realize the sign is not to far off, IMHO. YMMV

Originally Posted by bitterproffit
Life is good when you aren't captive to one alliance.
It's liberating!

Originally Posted by dav662
I have seen this happen many times. FA storing their luggage there but this has been always on Asian or middle eastern airlines that I travel. Every time, they have been polite and very accommodating and try to shift their stuff somewhere else. Even if it is filled with pillows or newspapers they try to shift it somewhere else. I feel it is the difference of standard of US carriers and certainly the Middle Eastern and Asian Airlines. That is why they are more successful as they treat passengers better most of the time.
Customer is king.

Originally Posted by s0ssos
Just flew on VX plane, and I think the FA was also with VX because she took her stuff from the overhead so the passengers in row 1 who did not board immediately had space to put their stuff. Why are nice people like her the extreme exception?
I guess being considerate is verboten on AA, particularly if you work for them
So true, especially when, short of murder, your union will defend you to the death, in essence making you bullet-proof.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 10:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
Misinformed as usual.
Pot calling the kettle black.

Back to the OP, while the FA's rudeness is never an excuse and should be documented/reported appropriately, they need their luggage in the cabin due to the nature of their job and the fact you don't know where they are going to end up or where they need to be next. While I'm not saying this is the case on a long international flight, there is the possibility the FA might have their schedule changed at the last minute and might either have to deadhead back, stay over in the city, or work another flight. Due to the short advanced notice they need to have all of their belongings ready to go at a moments notice. This also applies to pilots as well, although they keep their stuff in the cockpit.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 12:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by flyinggum
The FA had apparently put her luggage underneath the first class seat in front of me prior to general boarding. When I brought this to her attention, I was told that it was her luggage and received no apologies from her.
There's your mistake. I would have removed the stuff and put mine there. THEN I would have brought the stuff to the flight attendant.

Originally Posted by salut0
... they insisted the shades be lowered even though it was a day flight.
One of my pet peeves. I just refuse (but politely, of course); and unless it's in a newer aircraft with centrally controlled dimming windows, there's really nothing that they can do. I choose window seats for a reason, and I'll keep the shade up if I so choose.

Originally Posted by BearX220
AA is a very challenged shop right now. Labor issues, rage at management, operational issues...
But isn't it always like this? Can you think of a time when AA employees were happy with management? I can't.

Originally Posted by carlosdca
With that same logic...F/J overhead bins are not marked as such, are they?
Yes, I've started to see large stickers inside bins in F that they are reserved for F pax only.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 5:56 am

Programs: EVA Air , * G, QR Privilege Club S
As for crew keeping the shades up, they do this not because they want it to be so but because of inconvenience to other passengers who does not want the sun to be in their eyes. Any passenger who refuses to do it is inconveniencing the other passengers.
That is the only reason they ask to put the shades.

As for baggage being retrieved only at the belt it is not so. They can gate check it and also get it at the arriving gate too as some airlines especially in Canada do a gate check for hand luggage and give it back on the arriving gate. So it can be easily done for the crew too. Yes these are not suitcases but carry on luggage.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.