Community
Wiki Posts
Search

F meals not catered on 1000 mile flight

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2019, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by PHL
I’ve had a few legitimate issues that I raised in the past year, 2 of which led to out of pocket cost reimbursements and 1 that allowed full flight credit on a canceled ticket without a change fee. None of them were necessarily complaints about sub par service though.

In my nearly 40 years with US/AA, I’ve sent a number of correspondences both positive and negative going back to the days of only being able to send them by mail. Every one of them was responded to favorably and professionally. How far back does AA go to rate a customer?

I’ve also given a few A&B certs for exceptional service. Are those accounted for in my customer record and score?
If the situation bothered you and compensation/goodwill gesture would help make you feel slightly better, please send in your complaint to allow AA to try to make you feel better. It is a service failure on AA’s part and they should 1) want to be made aware of it and 2) want to help assuage your feelings of disappointment.

I average between 10 and 15 complaints annually. Perhaps my eagle score is approaching zero but AA has never once not tried to make a service failure right, either with vouchers or miles. And I’ve only ranged between non-status and Plat Pro.

Last edited by rumboj; Jun 4, 2019 at 2:04 pm
Old Jun 4, 2019, 3:30 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by PHL
I guess that's because an on-time departure is more important than providing an advertised service.
Well, the F passengers may have been upset about the lack of a meal, but I’m sure the Y passengers were very happy for the earlier departure! And, of course, there’s plenty more Y passengers.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 3:41 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
What is it with us FTers? Everything less than 100% perfect requires compensation? How about when you're at McDonald's and they run out of fries? Do you demand compensation? Gas station's out of premium today. Compensation? Steak is overcooked. Sure, the restaurant will make you a new one, but why no demand for compensation? Why only in travel-related purchases?
faulty comparison....in your version, the paying customer isn't out anything if no fries exist. The customer simply wouldn't pay for something they didn't get.

OP paid for their fries but didn't get them....i'd want something back.

Last edited by Bradhattan; Jun 4, 2019 at 3:46 pm Reason: Shouldn't assume it was a "he"
Old Jun 4, 2019, 5:17 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by arc727

Well, the F passengers may have been upset about the lack of a meal, but I’m sure the Y passengers were very happy for the earlier departure! And, of course, there’s plenty more Y passengers.
I just looked at my flight record and it actually left 2 minutes before scheduled time and landed 9 minutes late. The bottleneck was ground traffic at PHL getting out to runway 27L. Weather in the entire region, and enroute, was clear and storm free. So it was just your average Monday morning traffic jam at PHL.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 6:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Shouldn’t all of this be in the 2019 domestic meal thread?
Old Jun 4, 2019, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
And what did you pay for in F? Is the airline contractually obligated to provide more than transportation?
Originally Posted by catcher1
Yes.
I don't see it. Would you point me to it, please? AA Conditions of Carriage.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Gig103
If I paid for fries and after they swiped my card, I was told "Oops we're sold out", I'd expect a refund of my $2.99.
As would I. Your fries are a itemized item for which you paid separately; and they appear on your receipt.

Originally Posted by Gig103
OP was due a meal as part of his fare, and did not receive it.
I don't see in the conditions of carriage where AA is contractually obligated to provide any meal. AA Conditions of Carriage.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 7:02 am
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
As would I. Your fries are a itemized item for which you paid separately; and they appear on your receipt.
I don't see in the conditions of carriage where AA is contractually obligated to provide any meal. AA Conditions of Carriage.
The contract of carriage governs their responsibility to get you from point A to B. They also advertise specific benefits when flying a premium level of service. Among these benefits is a meal created by “acclaimed chef and Dallas restaurateur Julian Barsotti”.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...eats/first.jsp

By your rationale, since nothing about first class amenities are in the CoC, then a full fare paying F passenger could be moved to coach without any expectation of a <partial> refund for advertised services not provided(bigger seat, meal, priority boarding, etc). In my case, I’m not looking for a meal voucher or even $$. I did want to raise the issue with the community to get some opinions, which there is never a shortage of here...
Spiff, moondog, ksucats and 3 others like this.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PHL
The contract of carriage governs their responsibility to get you from point A to B. They also advertise specific benefits when flying a premium level of service. Among these benefits is a meal created by “acclaimed chef and Dallas restaurateur Julian Barsotti”.
Agreed. The question is whether those advertisements create a legal obligation for which AA may be held liable. For example, what if the Barsotti-created meal was not available that day, and a different F meal was substituted. Would F passengers be entitled to anything? Would AA not have met its legal obligation to the F passengers?

Originally Posted by PHL
I did want to raise the issue with the community to get some opinions, which there is never a shortage of here...
Always!!
Old Jun 5, 2019, 8:48 am

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
I don't know why receipt itemization would matter—if I receive a burger that includes the bun, lettuce, onions and ketchup but no beef patty, a refund would also obviously be due even though I received a partial product and only a non-itemized ingredient was missing.

Your legal theory would suggest that AA could advertise premium services and consistently deliver none of them, and it would be legal because the premium services offered are not explicitly listed in the CoC. I don't know this area of law well, and maybe others can chime in, but I can't imagine some area of consumer protection law or false advertising regulations wouldn't step in at that point.

Maybe more to the point: contracts and law don't exist in a vacuum. Any company needs to not only follow existing law but avoid doing things that are legal and egregious enough that they could prompt new laws or new regulations to further constrain the company in the future.

"It's not in the CoC" is just not a complete answer here.
Spiff, LINDEGR and PHLondoner like this.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SamOF
I don't know why receipt itemization would matter—if I receive a burger that includes the bun, lettuce, onions and ketchup but no beef patty, a refund would also obviously be due even though I received a partial product and only a non-itemized ingredient was missing.

Your legal theory would suggest that AA could advertise premium services and consistently deliver none of them, and it would be legal because the premium services offered are not explicitly listed in the CoC. I don't know this area of law well, and maybe others can chime in, but I can't imagine some area of consumer protection law or false advertising regulations wouldn't step in at that point.

Maybe more to the point: contracts and law don't exist in a vacuum. Any company needs to not only follow existing law but avoid doing things that are legal and egregious enough that they could prompt new laws or new regulations to further constrain the company in the future.

"It's not in the CoC" is just not a complete answer here.
Well, OK, -- what about my example above? If they advertise meals in F by a certain chef on a certain route, and for some reason the meal isn't available on a certain day so another F meal is substituted, is AA liable for anything?
Old Jun 5, 2019, 10:05 am

Well, OK, -- what about my example above? If they advertise meals in F by a certain chef on a certain route, and for some reason the meal isn't available on a certain day so another F meal is substituted, is AA liable for anything?
I'd love to have lawyers who know consumer protection law chime in on the legal question, but my guess is that if AA uses that chef to entice customers into purchasing the product, there's at least an argument that they owe something for not fulfilling what's advertised.

And I think this case is even clearer—they clearly advertise that certain flights will include a meal. Not only do customers purchase first class in part because of that,* but they likely boarded hungry having not bought anything in the airport because they assumed they would be fed on board, and now have to postpone their meal for 3 hours. I'm not saying it's the end of the world, but from a basic reasonableness perspective, the requests for compensation seem realistic and supportable.

*I know this will cue the usual FT chorus of "I just buy first class for the seat and everything else is gravy." Airlines are really good at cutting costs where they can. If inflight meals did not drive purchasing behavior, every airline would have adopted the Spirit F model by now.
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by SamOF
my guess is that if AA uses that chef to entice customers into purchasing the product, there's at least an argument that they owe something for not fulfilling what's advertised.
How would this be different than an equipment swap?

Just write it into the CoC that they can do whatever they feel like with no consumer recourse, and they're good to go.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by arlflyer
How would this be different than an equipment swap?

Just write it into the CoC that they can do whatever they feel like with no consumer recourse, and they're good to go.
The equipment swap isn't a materially different product usually.*

And again would love to have folks more knowledgable than me in this area of law chime in, but I don't believe AA could write into the CoC that they are immune from false advertising regulations.

*If AA sold a Concorde flight from JFK to LHR and actually operated it with a 757 every day, I'm pretty sure there would be some legal claim there.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 10:36 am

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, BA Gold, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by aztimm
Have you complained much in the past year or so? Are you willing to take a cut to your Helix Score/Eagle Rating? How much travel do you have planned in the next ~6 months, where something could go seriously wrong, that you might need AA's assistance?
Although not much is known publicly about Helix ratings, I believe the theory is that complaints/delays/disruptions actually make your Helix rating go up, if anything.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.