Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Dallas to Johansburg using AA miles - next month. Help please

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dallas to Johansburg using AA miles - next month. Help please

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2019, 1:42 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Housouer
I did July 10 Philly to JNB on Qatar for 75K AA miles each. Found a cheap SW ticket from Dallas to Philly that gets in a few hours before the Qatar flight.

Still haven't figured out the return.........looking at July 23 or 24.

MANY MANY MANY thanks to all here for the advice. This is going to be a very special trip for our family!
Please don't put this trip at risk. Fly in the day before if you are using SW to get to PHL.
Craig6z, arlflyer and Paul Weber like this.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 1:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by gradboozer
Please don't put this trip at risk. Fly in the day before if you are using SW to get to PHL.
Or a WN flight that gets in earlier in the day. IIRC the QR flight leaves PHL at night.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 2:59 pm

Programs: AA Explat, UA former 1K + PremExec, DL
Originally Posted by dkc192
Or a WN flight that gets in earlier in the day. IIRC the QR flight leaves PHL at night.
Agree... the only flight I have "lost" irrevocably was due to relying on WN Norcal to LAX- despite allowing several hours originally, weather and irrops made me 6 hrs late and I missed my international on United.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 3:38 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Why not do DFW-PHL on AA? You might even be able to add it to the award without any extra cost (except maybe an extra $5.60 in taxes). With AA, you'd be protected in the event you missed your QR flight because AA protects you on connections to other Oneworld airlines, even with separate tickets. If you wanted to be certain of protection, I would add it to the same record as your QR award, even if you had to pay an additional 12,500 miles.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by gradboozer
Seriously. May as well start a placeholder thread to be populated when the time comes: "URGENT: OMG MISSED CONNECTION TO QR FLIGHT PLZ HLP"
gradboozer likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
When looking for the return, in addition to JNB and CPT, BA flies to DUR so that might be another option to get you home on miles.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 4:19 pm
dll

Programs: AA Gold (prev. Ex Plat for 10 years); DL Plat; UA Gold; Hilton Diamond
Return options I'm seeing availability on JNB-AUH-ORD on 23-Jul, EY603 to EY151. Act quick! Those will go fast.

And I do second the recommendation to seek out either an earlier WN flight to PHL, or try to find something on AA that works for you. A "few" hours in PHL with a hint of foul weather can be make or break. You'll safely need 90 minutes to claim bags and re-check with QR in PHL.
Old Jun 5, 2019, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by wetrat0
There are currently three 75,000 mile awards routing DFW-ORD-AUH-JNB on July 9 (DFW-ORD segment is in Economy, ORD-AUH-JNB is in Business on Ethiad), and the same returning JNB-AUH-ORD-DFW on July 23 (again ORD-DFW is in Economy but the long hauls are in Ethiad Business). Total 450,000 miles. What are you waiting for? Book it now before it goes away!

Seriously, you're not going to find anything better with AA miles. AA does not fly to JNB so AAnytime awards are not an option. That leaves mostly BA with their "carrier imposed charges". So you are extremely lucky that there are awards with minimal "fees" available, and three of them, no less, on your desired dates.

Edited to add: I found these with the standard award search on AA.com.
I love FT and the helpful contributions here. ^
Housouer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.