Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Oversold Business class on our flight this week, we lost award seats

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA Oversold Business class on our flight this week, we lost award seats

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2019, 2:53 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by WiscAZ
Just to clear up one thing that is still unclear for me...

It seems that each time OP called AA he was told this needed to be sorted at the airport. It also seems that OP's plans really needed him to get directly to EDI. Let's say that this was me and I'm on business and I'm flexible. That means I can fly to an alternate destination (MAN was suggested) and my employer would pay for whatever route needed to get me from MAN to EDI (perhaps by train).

Would AA have made that change over the phone to MAN given this situation? I guess I'm asking is if I'm booked in J and it's oversold will AA make the change for me in advance rather than me showing up to the airport early to see if they would make the change?
I can only speak from my own experience, but I think it depends.

If there were Saver award space on PHL-MAN, then it'd be just a matter of waiving the change fee. That would be a non-issue for an EP and something that I'd say is pretty easy to accomplish otherwise.

If there weren't Saver space, AA can definitely open up award space on its own flights. But that depends on several things: (1) Is the supervisor on the phone generally the type of person who wants to find a solution or simply wants to get you off the phone as quickly as possible? (2) Is the supervisor experienced enough to understand the entirety of the situation (i.e., the much lower likelihood of seats in J opening up in an oversell situation)? (3) Is the supervisor willing to go to RM to open up award space? (4) What is the passenger's elite status?

In my view, what made this situation interesting is that there wasn't a clear or definite solution. On one hand, AA justifiably didn't want to do anything because OP was confirmed in business and inventory is always fluid (and ultimately, it can't be denied that this situation turned out exactly as AA predicted, or at least hoped, even though I agree it was a minor miracle). On the other hand, I think those with a lot of experience could see the situation easily turning out very poorly and justifiably thought that as much as possible should be done to avoid that outcome.
moondog and MSPeconomist like this.
Old May 22, 2019, 2:53 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, HGVC, WN RR, National Exec, Avis Preferred
Grabbing more popcorn.
Old May 22, 2019, 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by curranch90
Can't thank JonNYC enough. His notification that the seats were open and that we had been assigned to them couldnt have came at a better time as we were most likely going to end up being rerouted with multiple layovers and a significantly delayed arrival time.

AA gate agents confirmed our names are assigned to the seats and they now show up in the app. They even showed me the screen they see (but wouldn't let me take a picture as it had other passenger names on it). However, DTW for some reason cannot print BPs with seats on them, said it has to be done at PHL. My PHL - EDI BP says a seat will be assigned at the gate... Hopefully this isnt AA playing games and we'll have a smooth process in PH. Will update once we have final BPs.

I sincerely apologize I wasn't able to be a better test subject . 36 hours of stress but I learned a ton from all of you!
You can try taking a screenshot of the app. But I think it'll work out.

Thanks for at least providing (some of) us with a couple days of entertainment, and hopefully you have a great flight and great trip!
moondog likes this.
Old May 22, 2019, 3:00 pm

Huh??? Every flight I've ever taken, my boarding passes if issued at the airport, show seat assignments all the way through. Why can't DTW print boarding passes with seats on them?
Old May 22, 2019, 3:01 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by curranch90
Can't thank JonNYC enough. His notification that the seats were open and that we had been assigned to them couldnt have came at a better time as we were most likely going to end up being rerouted with multiple layovers and a significantly delayed arrival time.

AA gate agents confirmed our names are assigned to the seats and they now show up in the app. They even showed me the screen they see (but wouldn't let me take a picture as it had other passenger names on it). However, DTW for some reason cannot print BPs with seats on them, said it has to be done at PHL. My PHL - EDI BP says a seat will be assigned at the gate... Hopefully this isnt AA playing games and we'll have a smooth process in PH. Will update once we have final BPs.

I sincerely apologize I wasn't able to be a better test subject . 36 hours of stress but I learned a ton from all of you!
I do not fly AA, but can you get electronic boarding passes within the app? Do these appear with your seats on them?
Old May 22, 2019, 3:12 pm
Suspended

Seats are definitely assigned, it doesn’t appear to be an issue at all from what I can see.
C17PSGR, wrp96, mapboyPHL and 2 others like this.
Old May 22, 2019, 4:05 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by flyingeph12
If there weren't Saver space, AA can definitely open up award space on its own flights.
What if it was a revenue ticket and J is oversold and one has no seat assignments?
I have the same question as WiscAZ.
For me the issue is not aaward space but what the agents can really do in an oversold cabin situation.
When cabin is oversold and one knows it the day before, can one call and have the agents do a free re-routing?
WiscAZ likes this.
Old May 22, 2019, 4:12 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by carlosdca
...but what the agents can really do in an oversold cabin situation.
When cabin is oversold and one knows it the day before, can one call and have the agents do a free re-routing?
I think for the most part, by and large, the answer is no on that-- has to be AA-initiated.
carlosdca and flyingeph12 like this.
Old May 22, 2019, 4:26 pm

Programs: AS 100K, DL MM, AA PLT
What if it was a revenue ticket and J is oversold and one has no seat assignments?
For me the issue is not aaward space but what the agents can really do in an oversold cabin situation.
Oversells (usually) are based upon a statistical expectation of no-shows that, by definition, do not materialize until boarding time, so agents generally will NOT be proactive as that defeats the (legitimate business) purpose of an oversell. Sometimes--as appears to be the case here--the oversell is inadvertent, but for better or worse the policies are written presuming they are intentional. So, the upshot is no, the agent is unlikely to do anything. Sometimes the airline realizes their oversell projections are *way* off and will proactively try to address the situation, resulting in calls as others have reported upthread, but that occurs at the behest of the airline, and from a different office than the front-line res folks you can reach on the phone.

When push comes to shove, if there are more pax at the gate than seats on a plane, somebody isn't going. And, in these cases, possession (of a BP with an assigned seat) is 9/10ths of the law, as they say. The OP was not in a good negotiating position.
Old May 22, 2019, 4:27 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
So the flight is 14/14 in J and 157/157 in Y ....

There are two D1;s listed.

Since we're now at post 189 ... any over/under on whether the two D1;s get on and, if so, whether in J or Y?
Old May 22, 2019, 4:34 pm

Accepting your hypothetical as is, I agree with/defer to JonNYC response above.
I would note, though, that I find it hard to imagine your hypothetical situation being as common or serious a problem. First, as far as I know, AA does not generally oversell the J cabin. Second, revenue J tickets (at least in my experience) are booked relatively close to departure, meaning they are less likely to be affected by unanticipated schedule changes, as occurred in this case. Third, if there is a schedule or aircraft change, I imagine (although am not sure) that those holding revenue tickets in J are given priority in seat assignments. Fourth, if I'm buying a J ticket at the last minute without a seat assignment and the flight happens to be oversold, chances are I'm (or the company) is buying a relatively flexible/full-fare ticket, making it easier to re-route.
Old May 22, 2019, 4:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
What are two D1;s? Nonrevs of some sort?
Old May 22, 2019, 4:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by flyingeph12
Accepting your hypothetical as is, I agree with/defer to JonNYC response above.
I would note, though, that I find it hard to imagine your hypothetical situation being as common or serious a problem. First, as far as I know, AA does not generally oversell the J cabin. Second, revenue J tickets (at least in my experience) are booked relatively close to departure, meaning they are less likely to be affected by unanticipated schedule changes, as occurred in this case. Third, if there is a schedule or aircraft change, I imagine (although am not sure) that those holding revenue tickets in J are given priority in seat assignments. Fourth, if I'm buying a J ticket at the last minute without a seat assignment and the flight happens to be oversold, chances are I'm (or the company) is buying a relatively flexible/full-fare ticket, making it easier to re-route.
What unanticipated schedule changes happened in the OP's case? Did I miss something?
Old May 22, 2019, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
No you can't. For the exact same reasons that this was resolved for the OP - other pax may cancel, no-show, misconnect. Just because a flight is oversold it doesn't mean that pax will have to be rebooked at the end of the day. What happened here today is a fine example of that
Old May 22, 2019, 4:45 pm

Programs: OWS - AA Lifetime Platinum, BA nobody (blue)
Moving on now from the happy ending, and having seen mention of hiking gear, the weather forecast in southern Scotland is fine (until Sunday...)

Have a great trip, curranch90
C17PSGR, MSPeconomist and wrp96 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.