Wiki Posts
Search

SAN to JFK nonstops

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2019, 12:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Lifetime Platinum, AA
Angry SAN to JFK nonstops

Today I went to look for fares for a trip I'll be taking in July or August from San Diego to New York. Usually in summer there are two AA nonstops daily in each direction (just one in the off-season). There are nothing but connecting flights that get in really late. Ditto from LAX. Is this a temporary part of the Boeing scramble or am I going to have to switch to Delta or AK?
Old May 16, 2019, 12:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by Lindsy
Today I went to look for fares for a trip I'll be taking in July or August from San Diego to New York. Usually in summer there are two AA nonstops daily in each direction (just one in the off-season). There are nothing but connecting flights that get in really late. Ditto from LAX. Is this a temporary part of the Boeing scramble or am I going to have to switch to Delta or AK?
Its partially MAX and partially runway issues at JFK this summer.
Old May 16, 2019, 1:01 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, AA PPro
As a frequent traveler on this route, although in other direction, Jetblue has the only really reasonably timed flights between SAN/JFK. Even with the direct times were terrible on AA.
AA100k likes this.
Old May 16, 2019, 1:12 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
Its partially MAX and partially runway issues at JFK this summer.
And then, of course, the real reason.
linglingfool and AANYC1981 like this.
Old May 16, 2019, 3:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Gold
Ditto from LAX.
Do you mean there aren't any nonstops from LAX-JFK where you're checking? Odd, there are quite a few (like 10+ most days).
Old May 16, 2019, 3:32 pm

Programs: OW Emerald
AA is basically de-emphasizing JFK. Switching to AirAsia won't help since they don't fly to JFK.
LINDEGR likes this.
Old May 16, 2019, 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by JonNYC
And then, of course, the real reason.
Care to explain?
Old May 16, 2019, 3:39 pm

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Originally Posted by AAChris
As a frequent traveler on this route, although in other direction, Jetblue has the only really reasonably timed flights between SAN/JFK. Even with the direct times were terrible on AA.
DL has 4 reasonably timed daily flights SAN-JFK this summer. The fact that B6 still refuses to rest an aircraft overnight at SAN for a morning departure to JFK is absurd.
Old May 16, 2019, 4:26 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ConstellationClass
Care to explain?
Very poor yields, unsurprisingly.
linglingfool likes this.
Old May 16, 2019, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Maybe related to this ? https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-coa...le-11557307802
Old May 16, 2019, 9:44 pm

Programs: Plat Pro AAdvantage, but defected to BAEC
Originally Posted by NYC Flyer
DL has 4 reasonably timed daily flights SAN-JFK this summer. The fact that B6 still refuses to rest an aircraft overnight at SAN for a morning departure to JFK is absurd.
From the moment an aircraft crosses the CA border until it leaves again, the airline is charged property taxes by the State. I’m guessing that B6 would rather keep their tax bill down vs parking an aircraft overnight at a CA airport.
Old May 16, 2019, 11:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by JonNYC
Very poor yields, unsurprisingly.
I've flown the route a few times and go via LAX. Wonder how many others do this (or more likely go on a different airline).

Originally Posted by Reetmafreen

From the moment an aircraft crosses the CA border until it leaves again, the airline is charged property taxes by the State. I’m guessing that B6 would rather keep their tax bill down vs parking an aircraft overnight at a CA airport.
B6 had a decent operation out of LGB. It's not like they never had aircraft in CA overnighting.

Last edited by JY1024; May 17, 2019 at 8:10 pm Reason: Merged consecutive posts
Old May 17, 2019, 10:34 am
cmx

Programs: DL Diamond 1MM, AS MVP, SW ALP and CP, b6 Mosaic, UA Silver, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by NYC Flyer
This is my most flown route. What would be great is if B6 would start Mint (and DL copy with lie-flat seats) on the redeye, like what happened with the midday flights.
Old May 17, 2019, 10:49 am

Programs: AA LT Gold
SAN-JFK comes back in late August.
Interesting that they killed the route for the summer. I am going to guess that SAN-JFK is mostly business travel and winds down during the summer.

Back in my San Diego days, AA was the only non-stop to JFK, IIRC.
How times have changed.
Old May 17, 2019, 11:45 am

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by Antarius
I've flown the route a few times and go via LAX. Wonder how many others do this (or more likely go on a different airline).
Based in SAN, of all connections and despite the LAX eagle bus, I always preferred LAX to connect over any other hub.
For SAN-JFK, it only made sense to route via LAX if it was significantly cheaper or if I wanted a red-eye (when the SAN-JFK red-eye was not offered).

Back in the day, being a connecting pax was a factor in upgrade priority, so I trumped all the LAX based pax on the upgrade list. That was something to consider if I really wanted a better shot at an upgrade and a nicer business seat (not lie-flat yet, as LAX-JFK was on 762s with reclining cradle seat back then, very comfortable btw).

Nowadays, upgrades are extremely difficult on LAX-JFK (much more so on a red-eye), being a connecting pax gives no advantage now, the bus from the remote terminal is always a zoo, and there is DL and jetblue now, very good options to JFK.
Routing in purpose via LAX on AA makes no sense under most circumstances, IMO.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.