FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   AA Dropping PIB-MEI (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1969356-aa-dropping-pib-mei.html)

BOSishome May 12, 2019 8:48 am

AA Dropping PIB-MEI

This is not a big deal to most, but it appears that the DFW-PIB-MEI-DFW route is ending... Replaced by nonstop service to both airports (if dummy bookings to both airports in December are to be believed).

I’d argue that this was one of the most unique routes in the AA system-I might have to try it before it goes away.

Often1 May 12, 2019 9:06 am

Flying what amounts to a triangle was a fairly common practice and is now being replaced by using more appropriate-sized aircraft. The operating costs of the extra rotation are driven up and unless AA can sell, in this case, the intermediate, leg, it becomes hard to support.

dls25 May 12, 2019 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by BOSishome (Post 31093093)
This is not a big deal to most, but it appears that the DFW-PIB-MEI-DFW route is ending... Replaced by nonstop service to both airports (if dummy bookings to both airports in December are to be believed).

I’d argue that this was one of the most unique routes in the AA system-I might have to try it before it goes away.

They are actually both getting better service.
PIB is getting 2x DFW service and MEI is getting 1x DFW and 1x ORD.
Currently they share 1x DFW and 1x ORD.
It's amazing how getting major airline branded service increases enplanements in these small EAS markets.

Antarius May 12, 2019 5:22 pm

And for anyone else who was as confused as I

PIB - Hattiesburg-Laurel, Mississippi
MEI - Meridien, Mississippi

enpremiere May 12, 2019 5:31 pm

I was certainly confused.

I read this as AA dropping PDB and thought to myself “well, that’s pretty much old news”

BOSishome May 12, 2019 6:00 pm

PIB will always have a “special” place in my heart as I was once delayed on a WN charter for about 4 hours after playing at Southern Miss...

The reason... The runway lights were broken😂.

PbodyPhoto May 12, 2019 9:19 pm

Was this AAs only tag route? United has a few (DEN-HYS-SLN-ORD, DEN-PIR-ATY, DEN-JMS-DVL, DEN-PUB-LBL, ORD-PAH-CGI)

platbrownguy May 12, 2019 11:21 pm

Originally Posted by PbodyPhoto (Post 31094958)
Was this AAs only tag route? United has a few (DEN-HYS-SLN-ORD, DEN-PIR-ATY, DEN-JMS-DVL, DEN-PUB-LBL, ORD-PAH-CGI)

There was VVI-LPB (Bolivia) but that's over now, too. And you couldn't buy an eighth freedom ticket on just that segment, whereas AA offered PIB-MEI for sale (not that I can imagine anyone buying that on its own, it's an hour drive)

ashill May 13, 2019 12:18 am

Originally Posted by PbodyPhoto (Post 31094958)

I recall that AA had ORD-MSN-GRB and at other times ORD-MSN-MQT when I lived in MSN in the late 2000s. (I think both went back via MSN, so tag routes, not triangles.)

MiamiAirport Formerly NY George May 13, 2019 5:47 am

LAA years back had a GRU/GIG tag on a 777. Often 40 paxs or less on what was a flight of a little more than 200 miles.

C17PSGR May 13, 2019 8:03 am

The fare between PIB and MEI is over $300 each way!. You'd think they'd offer something cheap just to fill up a couple of seats.