AA Dropping PIB-MEI

Old May 12, 19, 9:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, Amex PLT
AA Dropping PIB-MEI

This is not a big deal to most, but it appears that the DFW-PIB-MEI-DFW route is ending... Replaced by nonstop service to both airports (if dummy bookings to both airports in December are to be believed).

I’d argue that this was one of the most unique routes in the AA system-I might have to try it before it goes away.
Old May 12, 19, 10:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Flying what amounts to a triangle was a fairly common practice and is now being replaced by using more appropriate-sized aircraft. The operating costs of the extra rotation are driven up and unless AA can sell, in this case, the intermediate, leg, it becomes hard to support.
Old May 12, 19, 4:59 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Priority Club Gold, Choice Privileges Gold
Originally Posted by BOSishome View Post
This is not a big deal to most, but it appears that the DFW-PIB-MEI-DFW route is ending... Replaced by nonstop service to both airports (if dummy bookings to both airports in December are to be believed).

I’d argue that this was one of the most unique routes in the AA system-I might have to try it before it goes away.
They are actually both getting better service.
PIB is getting 2x DFW service and MEI is getting 1x DFW and 1x ORD.
Currently they share 1x DFW and 1x ORD.
It's amazing how getting major airline branded service increases enplanements in these small EAS markets.
Old May 12, 19, 6:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist
And for anyone else who was as confused as I

PIB - Hattiesburg-Laurel, Mississippi
MEI - Meridien, Mississippi
enpremiere, rumboj, ashill and 6 others like this.
Old May 12, 19, 6:31 pm

Programs: CK or bust
I was certainly confused.

I read this as AA dropping PDB and thought to myself “well, that’s pretty much old news”
dciolli likes this.
Old May 12, 19, 7:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, Amex PLT
PIB will always have a “special” place in my heart as I was once delayed on a WN charter for about 4 hours after playing at Southern Miss...

The reason... The runway lights were broken😂.
dciolli likes this.
Old May 12, 19, 10:19 pm

Programs: QF LTG
Was this AAs only tag route? United has a few (DEN-HYS-SLN-ORD, DEN-PIR-ATY, DEN-JMS-DVL, DEN-PUB-LBL, ORD-PAH-CGI)
Old May 13, 19, 12:21 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium/LTP (+UA Silver), National Exec Elite, mlife Noir
Originally Posted by PbodyPhoto View Post
Was this AAs only tag route? United has a few (DEN-HYS-SLN-ORD, DEN-PIR-ATY, DEN-JMS-DVL, DEN-PUB-LBL, ORD-PAH-CGI)
There was VVI-LPB (Bolivia) but that's over now, too. And you couldn't buy an eighth freedom ticket on just that segment, whereas AA offered PIB-MEI for sale (not that I can imagine anyone buying that on its own, it's an hour drive)
Old May 13, 19, 1:18 am

Programs: AA, DL, AS MVP, VA
Originally Posted by PbodyPhoto View Post
I recall that AA had ORD-MSN-GRB and at other times ORD-MSN-MQT when I lived in MSN in the late 2000s. (I think both went back via MSN, so tag routes, not triangles.)
Old May 13, 19, 6:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage PP
LAA years back had a GRU/GIG tag on a 777. Often 40 paxs or less on what was a flight of a little more than 200 miles.
Old May 13, 19, 9:03 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
The fare between PIB and MEI is over $300 each way!. You'd think they'd offer something cheap just to fill up a couple of seats.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: