Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

"Notorious" DCA Gate 35X again referenced in media

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Notorious" DCA Gate 35X again referenced in media

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2019, 12:16 pm

Programs: DL DM/1MM, AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by USFlyerUS
Their settlement with the DOJ allowing the AA-US merger to proceed prevents AA from reacquiring previously divested slots for 10 years after the agreement was executed. I can't imagine the other carriers with slots prior to the divestiture would ever sell any.
And we're about what, five years into that agreement?
Old May 13, 2019, 12:42 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by SOBE ER DOC
I get how the slot controls work at DCA but there is nothing preventing AA from gobbling up slots if other airlines pull back. DCA is one of their more profitable operations so I would imagine they would do whatever they could to grow there.
It's not like slots are readily available at DCA. Parker gave away the farm at LGA to get a far smaller number of slots at DCA, and they had to give away those DCA slots in the merger. It's hard for me to see how more gates being available for AA at DCA would suddenly make other airlines pull back in a way that would let AA gain slots. If there were an opportunity to gain more slots at DCA, I'm sure AA would regardless of their gate situation.
Old May 13, 2019, 7:02 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by SOBE ER DOC
If you all think 35X is going to be retired I have a bridge to sell you. AA has added gate capacity in CLT. Did their walk-out gates go away? Nope. They added gates at MIA. Did their walk-out gates go away? Nope. The added gates at LAX. Is the Eagle's Nest still there? Yup.

AA will fill the 14 new gates with aircraft and then go right back to using 35X to board flights on RON pads. I'll believe 35X is going away when they rip the darn thing out.
At least they never returned to A2 at DFW. The terminal itself was nice, but the bus ride horrible.
Old May 13, 2019, 8:58 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Arrived at 35X last night. A much longer bus ride from the planes as they now park farther out past the construction site. Of course AA is getting a brand new terminal to replace 35X and there will be a new AA Club. It wasn't all that bad arriving, departing is the issue.

Once all the checkpoints move to the new single check point (some years off) - then I suppose Terminal B AA club will close. I suspect AA will only keep 2 clubs not 3.
Old May 14, 2019, 12:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by cova
Arrived at 35X last night. A much longer bus ride from the planes as they now park farther out past the construction site. Of course AA is getting a brand new terminal to replace 35X and there will be a new AA Club. It wasn't all that bad arriving, departing is the issue.

Once all the checkpoints move to the new single check point (some years off) - then I suppose Terminal B AA club will close. I suspect AA will only keep 2 clubs not 3.
That's my worry, but then they would need to move the shuttle flights back to the C pier.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 11:42 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I have had many failed relationships to many bad people, but my worst ex, is 35X
- Me
SamOF and MasterPlanner like this.
Old Apr 7, 2021, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
A lovely tribute to 35X in the WP.

Goodbye to Gate 35X, cursed portal to the rest of America

Let’s get right to it: It was a bus station. A bus station in an airport. It was two places you’d rather not be, melded into one place.

There was no flourish to its badness. Gate 35X at Reagan National Airport did not have the utilitarian exotica of the Dulles people-movers, trundling across a tarmac Tatooine. It did not have the high-low smack of Union Station, where travelers are welcomed by the Roman arches of Constantine but digested through a boarding area that feels like the waiting room of an ER. Gate 35X wasn’t a vortex like the Springfield Interchange, or a labyrinth like the Metro station at L’Enfant Plaza. Gate 35X didn’t qualify as a municipal quirk, like Washington’s lack of a J Street. Gate 35X was just a bus station. In an airport.

Except, somehow, it was more than that. It was a funnel, a choke point, a cattle call. One gate, as many as 6,000 travelers per day. The ceilings were lower. The seats were all taken, as were the electrical outlets. There was no bathroom down there, no vending machine, no water fountain. Dante’s circles were over-invoked. The complaining was olympic.Queues kinked in our slow sprint to somewhere else, through a bay of four doors, via shuttle rides that were short distances but long journeys, onto small regional jets bound for second-tier American cities.
Spiff, ashill and wrp96 like this.
Old Apr 7, 2021, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by swag
Priceless.
Old Apr 7, 2021, 11:59 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by pmblinn
Priceless.
I just paid the $1.06 to sign up for a WaPo trial. The article was worth the $1.06 and the 5 minutes.

I'm actually flying DCA-PWM on April 20... it's on a CR7 so it normally goes out of the end of the pier (41/43 etc) but I might still need to take a walk through the new terminal if in fact it's open then...
swag, ashill, wrp96 and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 7, 2021, 12:22 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Never heard of this gate before. But it sounds like it's a bus gate like European airports?
Old Apr 7, 2021, 1:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by seawolf
Never heard of this gate before. But it sounds like it's a bus gate like European airports?
Consider yourself very fortunate. I, like many folks, have frittered away too many days in the underground hell of 35A-now-35X waiting through hours of rolling delays for an ERJ 145 to some place as middling as the gate and plane themselves. Or periodically going from there to the AC and back, depending on the delay.

If you've used D60 at MIA, gates 31/32 at JFK T8, or maybe the high E30's at CLT, it's sort of like those but with dozens of flights all apparently leaving at the same time through a handful of doors, with the door announced just before boarding through a loudspeaker system that has everyone yelling over each other. And you have to take a bus from the door to the plane. And the planes are pretty much all E40/45 or CR2, so no one is happy to be there.

It really does have a third world feel (reminds me a bit of CMB but without the decent shops, lighting, and bathrooms), and no one will miss it.
Spiff, wrp96 and madmanshoney like this.
Old Apr 7, 2021, 1:50 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ExecPl, AT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, National
Originally Posted by swag
Really great, well written article!
Old Apr 7, 2021, 7:59 pm

My first time at 35X -- I did not realize that "priority boarding" of any kind was meaningless out of this gate! Instead, the trick was to stand close to the exit door on the shuttle bus so that you could race off the bus and onto the plane. Fortunately, that trick is history now...
CMK10 and silverthief2 like this.
Old Apr 7, 2021, 11:11 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by AndyPatterson
My first time at 35X -- I did not realize that "priority boarding" of any kind was meaningless out of this gate! Instead, the trick was to stand close to the exit door on the shuttle bus so that you could race off the bus and onto the plane. Fortunately, that trick is history now...
Standard operating procedure for bus gate which is more common in European airports. A bit annoying for elites to board the bus first and block the entrance hindering others from boarding the bus. I usually don’t priority board and wait for the 2nd bus if I know it is a bus gate.

If you think boarding is bad, try arriving on a long haul into a bus gate in business class.

Defeats the whole purpose of getting off the plane first to get to immigration first.
Old Apr 7, 2021, 11:53 pm

Originally Posted by seawolf
Standard operating procedure for bus gate which is more common in European airports. A bit annoying for elites to board the bus first and block the entrance hindering others from boarding the bus. I usually don’t priority board and wait for the 2nd bus if I know it is a bus gate.
Yeah but it's not just the bus boarding. I've flown hundreds of times through all the major Euro airports, had plenty of bus rides (including miles and miles at LHR, CDG). But at least there you generally have one gate area per flight. 35X, maybe you have to experience it to get it... it's the size of 2 or 3 gate areas at most, but there can be a dozen or more flights (especially when there are delays) all coming and going through there at the same time, a total mess, with nowhere to sit and nothing to do. The bus ride itself isn't really the point.

If you think boarding is bad, try arriving on a long haul into a bus gate in business class.

Defeats the whole purpose of getting off the plane first to get to immigration first.
Sure, though one expects such delays with international travel (and even if you're first off a plane, you can arrive behind several other planes full of people in line). We also have the people-movers at IAD that approximate international-arrival bus transfers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.