Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Hosed by Basic Economy Refund Policy after outbound flight canellation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hosed by Basic Economy Refund Policy after outbound flight canellation

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2019, 1:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by TravellingSalesman
My advice would be to call AA again. Don't mention that you spoke to them earlier, don't let your frustration at the previous agent's response show. Simply ask nicely - a different agent may well give you a different response.
I'm not frustrated at the agent's response. I don't believe AA's practice meets its advertised policy, nor common sense.
Old May 2, 2019, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Aren't BE fares exclusively RTs? This could make it difficult to refund only half of the ticket.
Dividing by two is not difficult. @:-)
Often1 likes this.
Old May 2, 2019, 3:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If the agent said that this was due to the BE fare, the agent was simply wrong. But, the functional answer was correct so OP was in no was "hosed" by the BE fare (which he chose to purchase in the first place).

Rather than characterizing the contract you agreed to, why not simply rely on its simple plain English meaning. It states:

We will refund a non-refundable ticket (or the value of the unused segment of your trip) to the original form of payment if
. . . . .
  • We cancel your flight
No limitation on BE fares and no odd language. AA did exactly what it promised to do and that is, incidentally, no different than what AA and UA promise as well.
dickinson and nancypants like this.
Old May 3, 2019, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sorry, that makes no sense. If he flies the return, then they need to refund the value of the unused segment of his trip, which was the outbound MSP-DFW leg. Seems quite straightforward to me, notwithstanding what an agent says at the time. @:-)
SamOF likes this.
Old May 3, 2019, 7:59 am

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Sorry, that makes no sense. If he flies the return, then they need to refund the value of the unused segment of his trip, which was the outbound MSP-DFW leg. Seems quite straightforward to me, notwithstanding what an agent says at the time. @:-)
Exactly. Everyone seems to be quoting the right policy and then missing the point: the CoC requires AA to refund the unused portion of the ticket. If the outbound is cancelled but the return is still flown, AA refunds the outbound. This seems pretty simple to me.
ijgordon likes this.
Old May 3, 2019, 8:08 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
On the facts of this one, OP did not fly any segment of the ticket. He was entitled to cancel the ticket for a full refund of the ticket (no unflown segments). Had he flown the first segment and had the return cancelled, he could have asked for a refund of just the return (BE or not). But, what OP's contract did not provide for was for OP to mix-and-match which segments he chooses to fly.

Those who have received partial refunds for the situation sought by OP are the beneficiaries of what amounts to a waiver or customer service gesture.
nancypants likes this.
Old May 3, 2019, 8:45 am

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond
If OP chooses to keep the return, doesn’t AA need to know in advance of the outbound so ticket doesn’t get cancelled when outbound not flown?
Old May 3, 2019, 10:37 am

The CoC wording is a bit more clear as it directly links not flying the canceled segment with refunding everything that is remaining on the ticket., which for the outbound flight, would be the entire ticket.

Rebooking your delayed/canceled flight

When your flight is canceled or a delay will cause you to miss your connection, we'll rebook you on the next flight with available seats. If you decide not to fly because your flight was delayed or canceled, we'll refund the remaining ticket value and any optional fees.
nancypants likes this.
Old May 3, 2019, 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
On the facts of this one, OP did not fly any segment of the ticket. He was entitled to cancel the ticket for a full refund of the ticket (no unflown segments). Had he flown the first segment and had the return cancelled, he could have asked for a refund of just the return (BE or not). But, what OP's contract did not provide for was for OP to mix-and-match which segments he chooses to fly.

Those who have received partial refunds for the situation sought by OP are the beneficiaries of what amounts to a waiver or customer service gesture.
Hard disagree. The OP is not the one "mixing and matching" here—AA cancelled the first segment of the ticket, and definitely is not contractually entitled to cancel the return segment because they cancelled the first segment.

As I read the contract (and as I very strongly suspect the DOT or any judge would), the OP has the right to fly the non-cancelled segments and receive a refund for the cancelled segments.
ijgordon likes this.
Old May 3, 2019, 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Aren't BE fares exclusively RTs? This could make it difficult to refund only half of the ticket.
No, I have bought a one-way in BE, and BE routinely comes up in one-way searches.
LINDEGR, IAHtraveler and Antarius like this.
Old May 3, 2019, 6:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by SamOF
Hard disagree. The OP is not the one "mixing and matching" here—AA cancelled the first segment of the ticket, and definitely is not contractually entitled to cancel the return segment because they cancelled the first segment.

As I read the contract (and as I very strongly suspect the DOT or any judge would), the OP has the right to fly the non-cancelled segments and receive a refund for the cancelled segments.
Given that AA's conditions of carriage seems to explicitly state that it will provide a full refund only, seems that it is contractually entitled to
Old May 3, 2019, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Given that AA's conditions of carriage seems to explicitly state that it will provide a full refund only, seems that it is contractually entitled to
Baloney. Won’t hold up.
100% he will get a partial refund.
Old May 3, 2019, 7:36 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite

Where are you seeing that the CoC states the customer has the right to fly the non-cancelled segments and receive a refund for the cancelled segments?

Or are you seeing "If you decide not to fly because of a flight cancellation or a major delay, you can request a refund for the remaining ticket value and related optional fees." and interpreting that to mean the customer has a right to fly the non-cancelled segments?
Old May 4, 2019, 10:47 am

Originally Posted by justhere
Where are you seeing that the CoC states the customer has the right to fly the non-cancelled segments and receive a refund for the cancelled segments?

Or are you seeing "If you decide not to fly because of a flight cancellation or a major delay, you can request a refund for the remaining ticket value and related optional fees." and interpreting that to mean the customer has a right to fly the non-cancelled segments?
There's just nothing in the CoC that states that AA can cancel return segments because the customer didn't fly an outbound segment that was nonexistent due to a cancellation by AA.

And if the customer flies the return, the unused segments that are contractually obligated to be refunded are the outbound.
Old May 4, 2019, 11:31 am

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
There's just nothing in the CoC that states that AA can cancel return segments because the customer didn't fly an outbound segment that was nonexistent due to a cancellation by AA.

And if the customer flies the return, the unused segments that are contractually obligated to be refunded are the outbound.
There's also nothing in the CoC that states that AA can cancel the return segments because the ice cream machine at McDonald's wasn't working. You are conflating two different parts of the CoC.

It does say that AA can cancel the return if you don't fly the previous segments.
It does say that in the event of a cancellation, AA will rebook you on the next available flight. It also says if you decide not to fly, the remaining ticket value will be refunded.

So in this case, flight was cancelled and pax was rebooked resulting in a complete itinerary once again. As a complete itinerary if you don't fly a segment, the remaining segments can be cancelled.

When a flight is cancelled on an itinerary the flight is at one of two points in the itinerary. At the beginning or during. If you decide you want a refund due to the cancellation you would, as outlined in the CoC, be eligible for a refund for any unused/unflown segments. If the flight is at the beginning, it would be a full refund. If during, it would be for the remaining segments.

In this case, the flight was at the beginning so a full refund, which is what AA offered. And that lines up exactly with what the CoC says. Two choices. Fly or refund. There is no option in the CoC to "chose which segments of the itinerary you want to fly and which ones you don't and we'll refund the ones you don't". Certainly as a customer service gesture AA can and I'm sure does this on occasion for whatever reason. But it's not listed as a remedy in the CoC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.