Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Where did AA fly ex-STL at peak # of flights?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Where did AA fly ex-STL at peak # of flights?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2019, 5:50 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Many
Sitting at STL now. Really enjoyed the city. I know St. Louis has lost 64% of it’s population from the 1950 peak and STL airport is down to 10-12mm pax/year from a peak of over 30mm/year in the late 90’s when it was TW’s main hub. Post-merger and before AA scaled down, de-hubbed and essentially pulled out of STL, where else did AA operate flight to from STL?

Gate next to us is an MD-80 (McDonell Douglas was based in STL for those who don’t know) that was delivered to TWA in 1999. Seems appropriate that it’s here.

Last edited by JDiver; Apr 28, 2019 at 8:17 am Reason: Merge posts
Old Apr 28, 2019, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Here's a TWA North American route map from 2001. TWA had a long period of decline even before AA's 2001 asset buy, however.

https://web.archive.org/web/20011125...th_america.pdf
JDiver likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 8:28 am

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Here's a TWA North American route map from 2001. TWA had a long period of decline even before AA's 2001 asset buy, however.

ahh - I flew the last of the “To London and Paris” routes before they disappeared. Good memories!
worldiswide likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ambassadors clubs in Peoria and Albuquerque? I'm assuming these were some sort of unstaffed affairs?
Old Apr 28, 2019, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by enpremiere

ahh - I flew the last of the “To London and Paris” routes before they disappeared. Good memories!
Seems odd that as of that map TW flew STL-LHR, STL-CDG, JFK-CDG, but not the obvious and supposedly lucrative JFK-LHR. Too much competition?
Old Apr 28, 2019, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by FlyingEgghead
Seems odd that as of that map TW flew STL-LHR, STL-CDG, JFK-CDG, but not the obvious and supposedly lucrative JFK-LHR. Too much competition?
TWA flew STL to LGW not LHR and didn't fly JFK to LGW or LHR (at least from 1990 on)
Fond Memories of excellent food on Trans World one
FlyingEgghead likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 10:43 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Thanks!
Old Apr 28, 2019, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by SteveinA2
TWA flew STL to LGW not LHR and didn't fly JFK to LGW or LHR (at least from 1990 on)
was that route on a 762 or L10?
Old Apr 28, 2019, 12:21 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
IIRC, TWA sold the LHR slots to AA as they gradually went downhill. TWA had a lot of 747SP, 747-100, and L1011. I used to fly the 747 to LGW and HNL. I think the L1011 was for Frankfurt and CDG but not certain.

When AA bought TWA, the plan was to have a second Midwest hub in STL because the previous two summers had been a disaster at ORD. There were several domestic mainline connections available in STL. Then, as it continued to bleed, they switched to an ERJ hub. It continued to be a diverse group of cities covered including cities ranging from Seattle to Hartford. STL was always a legal connection under fare rules and I would connect through there because the AC was great, connections were easy, and memories., It was bizarre to see a huge hub that was largely vacant.

At some point, Chicago realized it that AA having a nearby hub was a potential problem and built the new runway. In the meantime, WN had decided there were a lot of disaffected former TW/AA loyalists and decided to take over STL.

Then the tornado hit. Strange that it only hit the former TWA side and spared WN. It did, however, deal with all the empty gates and save the airport a lot of money.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Give TWA credit for the first 120-minute ETOPs rating for 767s. TATL (and now TPAC) services wouldn't be what they are today without 777/A330/767 ETOPs.
C17PSGR, TWA884 and JDiver like this.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
In the 1970's, AA operated an STL-HNL nonstop.

STL74intro
Old Apr 28, 2019, 3:30 pm

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, BA Gold, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
Sitting at STL now. Really enjoyed the city. I know St. Louis has lost 64% of it’s population from the 1950 peak and STL airport is down to 10-12mm pax/year from a peak of over 30mm/year in the late 90’s when it was TW’s main hub. Post-merger and before AA scaled down, de-hubbed and essentially pulled out of STL, where else did AA operate flight to from STL?

Gate next to us is an MD-80 (McDonell Douglas was based in STL for those who don’t know) that was delivered to TWA in 1999. Seems appropriate that it’s here.
Glad to hear you enjoyed STL. I’m curious... what did you enjoy specifically? STL was my home airport as a kid and has still been my base many times since. I ask because STL doesnt exactly seem to be a top destination for anyone outside the Midwest, and I’ve heard some unfavorable reviews, particularly from my friends on the west coast
Old Apr 28, 2019, 3:35 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by metallo

Glad to hear you enjoyed STL. I’m curious... what did you enjoy specifically? STL was my home airport as a kid and has still been my base many times since. I ask because STL doesnt exactly seem to be a top destination for anyone outside the Midwest, and I’ve heard some unfavorable reviews, particularly from my friends on the west coast
Went to a Blues playoff game which was fantastic, got some St. Louis BBQ, I loved the arch. Union Station and the history of the boom times in St. Louis was fascinating to me. Enjoyed the Missouri History Museum and Forrest Park. Also caught a nice afternoon Cards game, actually LIKED St. Louis style pizza from Imos. Courthouse, Cathedral, Eads Bridge, tour of the Anheuser-Busch brewery and more beers, City Museum and the Soldier's Memorial and WW1 exhibit (especially) there. Lots of nice architecture from previous periods as well. I felt like I didn't have enough time even with three nights there. Would like to get Italian in the Hill, hang out in the Delmar Loop, explore Lacledes Landing and Soulard. There's always next time. I feel like most people don't give St. Louis a chance.
C17PSGR, TWA884, metallo and 1 others like this.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by xliioper
Ambassadors clubs in Peoria and Albuquerque? I'm assuming these were some sort of unstaffed affairs?
I lived in Peoria from 1989 to 1995 and don't recall an Ambassadors Club there during that time, suggesting either the route map is even older than that or simply inaccurate.
Old Apr 28, 2019, 5:01 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Somewhat related, LGA-STL is 888 miles. AA webpage states nuts, snack plate and cookie on flights 700-899 miles. I was in F going and returning and both times nothing but a snack basket pass.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.