Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA auto rebooking system made terrible choices

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA auto rebooking system made terrible choices

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2019, 7:16 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by stephem
BTW, there were middle seats left in the back of the plane that on an earlier flight that were offered to me when i called in.
Why didn't you take it?
Old Apr 16, 2019, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Today i was booked SEA-DFW-DCA arriving at around 9:15pm in DC. I sometimes take AA on my trips
to DC because i can reliably get upgraded to F, but the timings are terrible (longer duration than most other carriers connecting flights).

Todays 10:15am SEA-DFW starting rolling out delays around 6am and so i went to the app to see what i could do. For some reason, AA just auto rebooked me on a LATER DFW-DCA flight when there were tons of earlier options to get me from SEA to DCA by 9pm (through other airports). Because of the way they had unhelpfully rebooked me, i could only get options thru the app for other DFW-DCA timings, it would not let me change and restart a new itinerary in SEA. At 6:30am, there were good routings through ORD and even Atlanta with space that would have worked and even an earlier departure from SEA thru DFW that I could have gotten to the airport for. 55 minutes later when i got a call back from the exp line, all those options were gone and my SEA-DFW was now mis connecting to the final DFW-DCA flight of the day making it impossible for me to use the ticket!

I rebooked on Delta through DTW and will get in earlier so no big deal, although at some cost that i think AA should cover. What i want to understand is why would AA make the presumption that i wanted to arrive later and only give me options to tweak the second segment, requiring me to waste precious time calling in and waiting in a queue? Is this the normal operation of AA’ auto rebooking system or
just a quirk that happened with this reservation?
what did they tell you when you called?
Old Apr 16, 2019, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by arlflyer
Speak for yourself. Ours are like magicians and have saved my behind numerous times.
definitely YMMV. For me, the issue is I know AA's route network better than any travel agent. Which means I can construct a better solution when .... hits the fan.

For example, due to IRROPS, I got stuck in PHX and needed to be in SF the next morning and every flight to SFO, OAK, SJC, SMF and LA airports were zeroed out. Ended up with a routing that was IAH-DFW-PHX-ORD-JFK-SFO - no travel agent would put that together.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 11:21 am

Speak for yourself. Ours are like magicians and have saved my behind numerous times.
All depends on what their contract was for, if it was to skimp pennies, they are horrible, if they were brought in so you don't have to deal with the travel details, they are great. I've had each, the skimping pennies demanded I get VP approval to not take the 3 stop DFW to YYZ flight over the non-stop that cost $75 more. Yeah, 8 additional hours of my time is almost guaranteed to be worth more than the $75 saved.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 12:27 pm

(why on earth would i have travel insurance for work travel?)

why on earth would we know from your post that this was work travel? travel insurance for when things go screwy is a wonderful thing, but then you know that I'm sure. the person suggesting travel insurance benefit was just trying to offer a suggestion. Jeez
Old Apr 16, 2019, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by autdi
All depends on what their contract was for, if it was to skimp pennies, they are horrible, if they were brought in so you don't have to deal with the travel details, they are great. I've had each, the skimping pennies demanded I get VP approval to not take the 3 stop DFW to YYZ flight over the non-stop that cost $75 more. Yeah, 8 additional hours of my time is almost guaranteed to be worth more than the $75 saved.
Eh. We have a really flexible travel policy, but the travel agency does nothing but add friction to the process--especially if you're in the position to call the EXP desk or the like.

I'm sure there are good corporate travel agencies. So far I've never worked with one that seemed worth the cost (or worth ANY cost).
Antarius likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 1:02 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Ditto. And any decent agency has an after hours line to assist with irregular ops.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by Antarius
definitely YMMV. For me, the issue is I know AA's route network better than any travel agent. Which means I can construct a better solution when .... hits the fan.

For example, due to IRROPS, I got stuck in PHX and needed to be in SF the next morning and every flight to SFO, OAK, SJC, SMF and LA airports were zeroed out. Ended up with a routing that was IAH-DFW-PHX-ORD-JFK-SFO - no travel agent would put that together.
Nothing I said precluded this - I can feed my corporate TA a routing any time I like. And they'll ticket it over the phone in five seconds, having picked up after one ring when the AA hold times are an hour plus, and/or aa.com is down.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.