Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Discussion for AA JFK<-->SEA nonstop (or lack of) service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2019, 1:55 pm
Original Poster

I was saddened to see an email from AA this morning informing me that my r/t JFK to SEA itinerary, for which I had gotten a very reasonable price on domestic first (the 737 notwithstanding) were replaced by connecting flights via DFW, which needless to say is considerably less desirable.

Looking at the schedule it seems like the direct flights are just gone. Anyone know if that's permanent, or perhaps related to runway issues at JFK or 737 groundings or similar? I have considerable flexibility on when I make this trip so if it's a temporary change I might try to wait it out and move to another date/month.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 1:55 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
When are you scheduled to fly? I believe JFK-SEA got cut temporarily to free up planes while the 7M8s are grounded.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by edwin_p_morales
replaced by connecting flights via DFW, which needless to say is considerably less desirable.
Additional EQMs, additional in-flight meal, additional AC visit (if you're a member) -- what's not to like?

You might be losing a made-to-order sundae -- that must be the problem.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 3:05 pm
Suspended

Seems to resume June 6th, they keep slipping it back (March 28, then April 28 now this, evidently.)

They're really Flailey-ing about on the resumption!
GTITAN and george 3 like this.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Can you reroute JFK-LAX-SEA? Take the 321T
Old Apr 10, 2019, 7:07 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Asia Miles Air China
Happened to me two weeks ago, and was routed JFK-DFW-SEA. Only issue was the 00 30 arrival time in Seattle and then dealing with scummy taxi drivers trying to scam at that time of night.

AA staff were pretty clear it is to do with non-availability of 737 Max and issues with 737 Oasis.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 8:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Antarius
Can you reroute JFK-LAX-SEA? Take the 321T
Fare rules likely do not allow that, and not sure they’d be willing to waive when there are other reasonable routings. But worth a try for sure.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 9:06 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Admirals Club member
Routing through ORD or CLT seem even more efficient then DFW. Any fun options through those?
Old Apr 10, 2019, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Nicc HK
Happened to me two weeks ago, and was routed JFK-DFW-SEA. Only issue was the 00 30 arrival time in Seattle and then dealing with scummy taxi drivers trying to scam at that time of night.

AA staff were pretty clear it is to do with non-availability of 737 Max and issues with 737 Oasis.
Next time give Uber a try
Nicc HK and IAHtraveler like this.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 9:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Fare rules likely do not allow that, and not sure they’d be willing to waive when there are other reasonable routings. But worth a try for sure.
For a AA-initiated schedule change I would think they would be reasonably flexible.....I would have wanted SEA-MIA-JFK, but I'd take SEA-DFW-JFK over SEA-JFK any day....as a previous poster said, you get an extra in-flight meal and more EQMs (in F)....that's a schedule change I'd be excited about
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 9:49 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

This happened to us last year. They tried to re-route us through Philadelphia. Unacceptable . I asked for....and got..... our money back and then booked on the Delta non-stop.
moondog, carlosdca and krakendown like this.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 11:35 pm
_fx

Programs: AS 75K, DL Platinum
I realize this is FT, but some of us crazy folks prefer to get to our destination as fast as possible...
If you are loyal to AA, try and route through ORD. This is the fastest AA 1-stop connection.
Alternatively, depending on where your physical final destination is, consider PHL, as a transfer on Amtrak might be faster than from JFK.
If you are not AA loyal, take a look at JetBlue Mint. They have cheap fares often and an amazing product.
If you love AA and miles then yes the suggestion to go to LAX and take A321 is solid.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 6:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by edwin_p_morales
I was saddened to see an email from AA this morning informing me that my r/t JFK to SEA itinerary, for which I had gotten a very reasonable price on domestic first (the 737 notwithstanding) were replaced by connecting flights via DFW, which needless to say is considerably less desirable.

Looking at the schedule it seems like the direct flights are just gone. Anyone know if that's permanent, or perhaps related to runway issues at JFK or 737 groundings or similar? I have considerable flexibility on when I make this trip so if it's a temporary change I might try to wait it out and move to another date/month.
Just cancel it and rebook on JetBlue. You'll likely still get decent pricing and the product is far better anyway.
SouthernCross and wrp96 like this.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 9:05 am

Programs: AA PPro, DL Gold, UA Silver, AS MVP Gold
Would this qualify in asking AA for an interline reroute nonstop with Delta or Alaska (if AS/AA have an interline)?
worldwidedreamer likes this.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by FobbyFlyer
Would this qualify in asking AA for an interline reroute nonstop with Delta or Alaska (if AS/AA have an interline)?
For a pre-day of departure cancellation, AA isn't going to reroute on another airline. Even if they would, the AA-DL interline agreement is only in case of IRROPs, so DL wouldn't be an option.
FobbyFlyer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.