Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

No real incentive to go just over EXP limit

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No real incentive to go just over EXP limit

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2019, 3:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Most EXPs I assume can't so easily move away from AA. If you are MIA, DFW, CLT or PHL based and travel for business (probably a sizable portion of EXPs) would you suddenly be willing to contend with constant connections in ATL? If you have an AC membership will you want to pay for another DL or UA membership (albeit a certain credit card might have multiple club provisions)? if the other airline won't status match to their highest level are you going to fly at a mid tier level for months before you attain that airline's highest status?
GTITAN likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by Gig103
I don't think I understand the alternative; are you suggesting that someone who makes it to EXP is going to switch to Delta and start flying without status or upgrades on them, to try and juggle two elite programs?
Other airlines will generally do a status match, but it doesn't really matter if you're mostly flying paid business.

But yes, that's exactly the suggestion. Not sure why it would seem so controversial--it allows you to have the same sorts of benefits as you get on OneWorld if you get another alliance. I split between AA and Delta and am generally pretty happy with the results. Delta is particularly advantageous if you fly much domestically, since AA's operations are pretty terrible. If you're going to be mostly international, I'd probably lean towards United/Star Alliance since the international partners are better (SkyTeam is pretty weak).
AA100k and Uzzar like this.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 4:48 pm

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
Most EXPs I assume can't so easily move away from AA. If you are MIA, DFW, CLT or PHL based and travel for business (probably a sizable portion of EXPs) would you suddenly be willing to contend with constant connections in ATL? If you have an AC membership will you want to pay for another DL or UA membership (albeit a certain credit card might have multiple club provisions)? if the other airline won't status match to their highest level are you going to fly at a mid tier level for months before you attain that airline's highest status?
Yes, in CLT, we are truly hub captives.

Safe Travels
Old Mar 31, 2019, 7:15 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
There are a ton on the UA forum in the same boat - I spend 25-40K a year, I will NEVER see an invite to GS (CK equivalent) so once I reach 1K, I fly LH, BR or ANA, I can use my GPU on LH and ANA - by business and upgrade to First etc..then credit miles and PQM to UA but no PQD

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.