Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

No real incentive to go just over EXP limit

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No real incentive to go just over EXP limit

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2019, 10:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I will make EXP on my next flight. Since I moved back to NYC, it seems better served by both United and Delta. So I guess I'll work on one of those for status. I currently have no status on Delta, but silver on United. I still have the EQD waiver on both as my home address is still registered to Spain.

I thought about it, there's absolutely no reason to push the limits. So I'll just gain status on others.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 11:22 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by harboo
so then the question is, out of LAX and mostly international travel, which airline to go for?
Are you willing to fly 2-4 segments on British Airways? If so, then credit your travel on AA to British Airways. Earn silver or gold status. Enjoy the Oneworld lounges, even when flying domestically on AA.
AANYC1981 and AA100k like this.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 2:28 am

Programs: LH, BA, AA
That’s exactly what I do, I don’t go beyond EXP since my travel pattern is 99% international (C and F) and the 1% domestic is 100% booked in domestic first. I put my spends beyond EXP to BA to earn Silver or gold ...
Zacnlinc and AA100k like this.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 4:28 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
I have been thinking about this for a while.. all my flights are booked in J.(after decades of flying coach), I have been using my SWU to go from J to F (being lucky so far,4 out 4 this year)
last year I was $29K and 225K miles, so still have 4 SWU to use,
The only reason I stay with AA, as opposed to going over to BA is that, I like collecting the miles, so my wife and I can enjoy a wonderful trip some where in the world, where we normally could not afford F or J to get there
Old Mar 31, 2019, 6:02 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
so then the question is, out of LAX and mostly international travel, which airline to go for?
Asia, Europe, LATAM? I think whatever the majority of your flying to makes a difference. I personally have thought of getting a OWS status on a non-AA OW carrier just to have access to the AA Flagship lounges while flying domestic since they will have them at most of the hubs eventually.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 9:40 am

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
…already flown and booked enough to qualify EXP. It seems more sensible this year to just get top status with another carrier rather than keep going. the extra swu certificates are nearly useless. very hard to clear for our family of four based on our experience so we end up flying biz tickets anyway...
Same for me. AA does not adequately incentivise flyers like you (and me) to keep flying AA or crediting to AA after requalification, and I would rather buy business or first than take a gamble that an eVIP or SWU will clear two hours before departure for an empty flight booked 10 months in advance. Of course this is exactly what AA wants us to do.

I'm sure some other types of flyers may be adequately incentivised to keep flying after requalification. But we no doubt represent a segment of the market that is not particularly valuable to AA. Oh well.

I credit to Star Alliance after requalifying for EXP every year. Guess I should update my profile status at some point. But it helps for trips where OneWorld has an inferior schedule, or where OneWorld doesn't offer service. It's been nice to experience the LH facilities at FRA for example.

Originally Posted by SiempreBCNJFK
I thought about it, there's absolutely no reason to push the limits. So I'll just gain status on others.
Agreed. Just switch to another airline or alliance after requalifying on AA (until or unless they bring their incentives back up to the previous higher standard, and/or bring eVIP or SWU useability back up to the previous higher standard).
Old Mar 31, 2019, 9:50 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
If you are LAX based and pay for business class, then the extra SWUs are actually a pretty decent value. I use them to get my family from paid Business into F, both LAX-LHR and HKG-LAX are easy to find A5 to do this.

BTW, I think there are a ton of EXPs in your boat, so if they bumped you, it would be hundreds (maybe thousands) of others w similar spend who would be let in. I think that is why they set the $$ amount for CK where it is...
Old Mar 31, 2019, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fotographer
The only reason I stay with AA, as opposed to going over to BA is that, I like collecting the miles, so my wife and I can enjoy a wonderful trip some where in the world, where we normally could not afford F or J to get there
Can't do that on BA?
Old Mar 31, 2019, 10:30 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by TomMM
Can't do that on BA?
BA is infamous for it's carrier imposed high surcharges with reward tickets and use of Avios on long haul premium cabin flights.
JDiver likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 10:42 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
One possible advantage, in the long run, to signing up with another FFP is that some afford lifetime status in higher tiers than AA. The the most you can achieve on AA is lifetime Platinum / oneworld Sapphire, which though not worthless certainly doesn’t get you the perquisites of lifetime BA Gold / Emerald, for example. Check them out with the long view, choose wisely.
ExpatExp, boerne, E55 and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 12:46 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
The value in EXP is the EXP and Oneworld benefits, CK gets you what, first on the plane?

I don't think I understand the alternative; are you suggesting that someone who makes it to EXP is going to switch to Delta and start flying without status or upgrades on them, to try and juggle two elite programs?
Old Mar 31, 2019, 2:01 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
There are certainly some benefits to being EXP even if you generally buy J and F: access to the EXP desk (such as it is these days), priority during IROPs, access to OneWorld F lounges, access to certain preferred seats on BA (e.g. 1A and K on the 747), and of course the SWUs. Those are useful to upgrade the occasional domestic trip where you have to fly Y, or to upgrade friends and relatives, or to turn J into F if you're on one of the few routes where F is still available. So it's definitely worth being loyal to the point of earning EXP. Beyond that, no, unless you're naturally going to fly enough to earn CK. I've never been CK and almost certainly never will be, but the ability to board first and get occasional special handing during an LHR transfer, for example, hardly seem worth flying extra in the hope of earning it.
GTITAN and AA100k like this.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Stripe
There are certainly some benefits to being EXP even if you generally buy J and F: access to the EXP desk (such as it is these days), priority during IROPs, access to OneWorld F lounges, access to certain preferred seats on BA (e.g. 1A and K on the 747), and of course the SWUs.
+1

10 year EXP, I finally gave up on AA last year and moved OWE status to BA Gold. Since I generally buy J and F, my favorite EXP benefit was no change fees on award tickets. The EXP desk is a far cry from just a couple of years ago. As Lifetime Platinum, the biggest difference is in calling AA where it now takes a little longer to reach a clueless agent. But my BA Gold benefits more than compensate. Much easier to re-qualify at a fraction of the cost of achieving EXP and I get Flagship (and LAX QF Lounge) access if and when I fly AA.
ExpatExp likes this.

Last edited by SFO777; Mar 31, 2019 at 2:48 pm
Old Mar 31, 2019, 2:45 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, AA Exec Plat
Time to be a free agent, and go with most comfortable and cheapest J seat. I'm sitting on 10 SWU, and can't clear any of them on intl biz travel.
AA100k and Uzzar like this.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 2:59 pm

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
I would get to EXP then switch to Star Alliance if it were me. I too have 7 SWUs, the only used one was for my son to UG SFO to AUS. I got a call from AA a couple of months ago and she asked me what i thought about the program. I specifically told her the SWUs had lost value, so that is no longer a reason for me to requalify.
Uzzar likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.