Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AAdvantage awards on AY / Finnair

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2015, 7:32 pm
Original Poster

AAdvantage awards on AY / Finnair

Can anyone tell me the booking class to look for on AY for award seat availability in business. I know AA books in U but what is the AY booking class that needs to be available. I can only see X Y-Award space. Looking for AA award on 2JUL ORD-HEL in biz. Also the AY website shows it has upgrade availability but AA says there are no available awards.
Old Apr 7, 2015, 8:29 pm

Programs: OW Emerald
Originally Posted by PU2005
Can anyone tell me the booking class to look for on AY for award seat availability in business. I know AA books in U but what is the AY booking class that needs to be available. I can only see X Y-Award space. Looking for AA award on 2JUL ORD-HEL in biz. Also the AY website shows it has upgrade availability but AA says there are no available awards.
It should be U on AY as well.
Old Apr 7, 2015, 8:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Regardless of the booking class, AY award seats, if available, should show up on an award search at aa.com.
Old Apr 7, 2015, 8:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Regardless of the booking class, AY award seats, if available, should show up on an award search at aa.com.
Actually that's incorrect. Because the initial economy booking I made for this flight wasn't showing on AA.com but was showing on BA.com. I called AA and they secured the two seats. But I seem to no be able to find J availability anywhere even with expert flyer. Finnair website shows they have 4 upgrades available but AA doesn't see biz class awards
Old Apr 7, 2015, 9:00 pm

Finnair website shows they have 4 upgrades available but AA doesn't see biz class awards
At least on some airlines, upgrades and business class awards are separate classes (e.g. AA has C for upgrade, U for award). Seeing availability for one does not necessarily mean you should see it for the other.
Old Apr 7, 2015, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold

Originally Posted by guv1976

Actually that's incorrect. Because the initial economy booking I made for this flight wasn't showing on AA.com but was showing on BA.com. I called AA and they secured the two seats. But I seem to no be able to find J availability anywhere even with expert flyer. Finnair website shows they have 4 upgrades available but AA doesn't see biz class awards
No, it's correct. AY award seats should show up on aa.com. Sometimes they don't because of some type of glitch (and sometimes ba.com shows "phantom" award space on other carriers that is not actually bookable).

Glad that you were ultimately able to secure the Economy award seats by calling AA.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 7:59 am

I had a really hard time booking domestic Finnair flights with AA miles. The space showed on BA, but not on the AA site. I eventually just used BA miles to book HEL to KTT. It was cheaper anyway, even with fuel surcharges.
Old Jul 16, 2015, 10:25 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, ex AA EXP
I have a different issue here, AY phantom availability on AA.com for many days next February in J, can't book anything and there is nothing on BA.com.
Trying to book on the A359 HEL-PVG.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 1:19 am

Originally Posted by pvgman
I have a different issue here, AY phantom availability on AA.com for many days next February in J, can't book anything and there is nothing on BA.com.
Trying to book on the A359 HEL-PVG.
Any success with this in the end? Looking to redeem on HKG<->HEL next year December and I can see sheer endless J availability on HEL->HKG (not none in Y), but almost no awards in J or Y in December at all.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 4:09 am

Originally Posted by svellmann
Any success with this in the end? Looking to redeem on HKG<->HEL next year December and I can see sheer endless J availability on HEL->HKG (not none in Y), but almost no awards in J or Y in December at all.
You cannot book December yet. 330 days from now is still November.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 6:50 am

Originally Posted by jridge
You cannot book December yet. 330 days from now is still November.
Not with AA I cannot, that's true. And sorry if it's a bit OT in this way but I'm looking to redeem Asia Miles for this flight and those can be redeemed 360 days out. However, I thought his thread is still appropriate since the concept of AY award availability applies equally to AA and CX apart from the 30 days difference in booking window.

On both Expertflyer and BA I can see availability in Y on AY70 on December 15th, 2016, for example, but none the days before or the entire week after. Meanwhile AY42 (ICN->HEL) shows Y4 almost every day I'm looking at.

Therefore it seems AY is not consistent with releasing seats on AY70. Meanwhile, AY71 on the return consistently has J2 (but Y0), at least according to BA.com as EF cannot access AY's J inventory.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 7:49 am

Originally Posted by svellmann
Not with AA I cannot, that's true. And sorry if it's a bit OT in this way but I'm looking to redeem Asia Miles for this flight and those can be redeemed 360 days out. However, I thought his thread is still appropriate since the concept of AY award availability applies equally to AA and CX apart from the 30 days difference in booking window.
Tacking on to a 6-month-old thread in the AA forum about non-AA availability, not using AA miles, and beyond the AA booking window doesn't seem like the right ingredients for good answers. No harm in posting here, but I think you'd get more success asking AY people.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 7:55 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by jridge
Tacking on to a 6-month-old thread in the AA forum about non-AA availability, not using AA miles, and beyond the AA booking window doesn't seem like the right ingredients for good answers. No harm in posting here, but I think you'd get more success asking AY people.
Yes. If it's not about using AA miles, it's kind of useless to post here; better to post in the forum of the airline one is using miles or other instruments from to acquire an award on Finnair. It's also misplaced and off topic.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 1:12 pm

Programs: MileagePlus 1K, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Plat
Validity of a Finnair Award Booking Using AAdvantage miles

Hi, I am somewhat new to AA redemptions. Can someone please help me to determine whether or not this booking should be 50K Miles at the Saver level or 70K:

September 10 on AY: LJU-HEL (arriving HEL at 10:55 PM)
September 11 on AY: HEL-MIA (departure 5 PM arrival 8 PM)
September 12 on AA: MIA-IAH (departure at 7 AM)

Since all my stopovers are less than 24 hours, would they be considered as stopovers? Thank you.

When I attempt to book this on AA.com, it prices out at 70K.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 2:36 pm

Programs: American, Delta, JetBlue, United
Originally Posted by vdostoi1
Hi, I am somewhat new to AA redemptions. Can someone please help me to determine whether or not this booking should be 50K Miles at the Saver level or 70K:

September 10 on AY: LJU-HEL (arriving HEL at 10:55 PM)
September 11 on AY: HEL-MIA (departure 5 PM arrival 8 PM)
September 12 on AA: MIA-IAH (departure at 7 AM)

Since all my stopovers are less than 24 hours, would they be considered as stopovers? Thank you.

When I attempt to book this on AA.com, it prices out at 70K.
"Stopover" is not the correct term for what you are trying to book.

I find the following flights (among others) available at 50k:

Sept 10 AY: LJU-HEL as above
Sept 11 AY: HEL-MIA as above
Sept 12 AA: MIA-IAH (departure at 10:59 AM, arrival at 12:43 PM)

There are also AY flights available through JFK or ORD rather than MIA (some with better connections), and some earlier AA flights MIA-IAH. Try going to the AA website and attempting to book B/F award travel LJU-IAH on September 10. You should see several pages of options at 50k; all depart HEL on September 11 and reach IAH on the 11th or 12th.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.