Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Base & Bonus Mileage, EQM and EQD Accruage

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2019, 1:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines

Got a question for all the American Airlines frequent fliers. I’m currently Platinum Pro. I fly the JFK - HKG via LAX route 4 times a year. I usually purchase an economy ticket. Regarding accruing Base and bonus Miles, EQD and EQM is more beneficial for me purchase my ticket on Cathay(flying AA or Cathay) or purchase on AA?

A friend of mine who’s EP bought a Premium Economy ticket on Cathay and operated by Cathay from JFK - HKG. I’m Platium Pro and I bought an Economy ticket on AA and operated by AA JFK- LAX-HKG. His base and bonus mileage, EQD and EQM were anywhere from double to five times more than what I received. We both spent roughly around the same amount.

I basically want to know what more beneficial for me considering my status and the type of ticket(Economy) I’m buying when trying to accrue base and bonus miles, EQD, and EQM. Buy on AA or Cathay and if it’s Cathay does it matter if the flights are operated by Cathay or AA?
Old Mar 18, 2019, 2:22 pm

Long-haul premium economy on a partner airline is considered by many a "sweet spot" in earning EQD + EQM, accounting for your friend's faster earning rate.

For your situation (economy), it would be better to stick with AA, where your 4 HKG trips let you easily requalify PPro compared to discounted economy in CX.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 2:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
If you can do Premium Economy it's always better to use a partner, but for economy it's better to stay on AA.
GTITAN likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 2:35 pm

Programs: UA *G, BA Silver
https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...ay-pacific.jsp is the table you should refer to.

Anything less than Y, B or H for economy on CX earns nothing, whereas PE earns 1.5 EQM and 20% EQDs, which for the distance is probably better than the actual dollars spent.

If JFK-HKG is your usual route then work out what 20% is and use CX PE for fares less than that and AA for fares greater than that.
GTITAN likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 3:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by ntamayo
Long-haul premium economy on a partner airline is considered by many a "sweet spot" in earning EQD + EQM, accounting for your friend's faster earning rate.

For your situation (economy), it would be better to stick with AA, where your 4 HKG trips let you easily requalify PPro compared to discounted economy in CX.
Not necessarily since those 4 flights won’t automatically help me reach the $9,000 EQD required for Platinum Pro

But as a general rule of thumb. If I had a choice of buying an AA operated flight Economy ticket on AA or Cathay assuming the fares are identical, which would accrue more dollars and mileage?
Old Mar 18, 2019, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by AA FrequentFlyer

Not necessarily since those 4 flights won’t automatically help me reach the $9,000 EQD required for Platinum Pro

But as a general rule of thumb. If I had a choice of buying an AA operated flight Economy ticket on AA or Cathay assuming the fares are identical, which would accrue more dollars and mileage?
As mentioned above, any coach fares below Y/B/H earn zero crediting to AA. So assuming you buy an H fare on JFK-HKG roundtrip, cheapest H fare I see on CX is $1630 r/t.

So booking the CX flight numbers, you would earn 12108 base RDM, 8072 EQM, and $1820 $2422 EQD.

Booking the AA flight numbers would yield 14670 base RDM (PLT Pro), 16144 EQM, and $1630 EQD.

These calculations are always different depending on the exact route, fare class, booking code, total fare $, etc. You really have to do the match for each different scenario and decide what is most beneficial.

Last edited by JJeffrey; Mar 18, 2019 at 5:21 pm
Old Mar 18, 2019, 5:04 pm

Programs: UA *G, BA Silver
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
So booking the CX flight numbers, you would earn 12108 base RDM, 8072 EQM, and $1820 EQD.

Booking the AA flight numbers would yield 14670 base RDM (PLT Pro), 16144 EQM, and $1630 EQD.

I don't think those number are right. JFK-HKG is 8072 each way, giving a 1 EQM score of 16144

An H or B fare on CX will earn 0.5 EQMs and 15% EQDs – giving 8072 EQMs and 2422 EQDs
A Y fare on CX would earn 1 EQM and 20% EQDs – giving 16144 EQMs and 3228 EQDs
A discount PE fare on CX (R, E) earns 1.5 EQMs and 20% EQDs – giving 24216 and 3228 EQDs
Full PE Fare on CX (W) earns 1.5 EQM and 22% EQDs – giving 24216 and 3552 EQDs

Any Y fare on AA (except B) will earn 16144 EQMs and (the fare - taxes) in EQDs (probably in the 1200-1800 range).
A PE fare on AA (P,W) will earn 24216 EQMs and (the fare - taxes) in EQDs (probably in the 1800-2400 range).

Buying the CX flight numbers looks likely to always be a better deal for EQDs and buying the AA flight numbers when buying economy in anything less than H, or when needing EQMs rather than EQDs.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by SeattleDavid
I don't think those number are right. JFK-HKG is 8072 each way, giving a 1 EQM score of 16144.
Yep my CX EQD calculation was off...fixed...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.