Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Skipping final leg and driving to avoid overnight segment

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2019, 1:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hy Glob,Choice Dia, MR TIT,IHG SPR,HH Dia, Wyn Dia, UA Sil, WN Alis, Hert 5*, National EE

Booked A-B-C international flight with B-C with an overnight layover.
Looked up rental cars and I can rent one way for under $100 and get in by 2am (3hr drive). Id rather do this and just be home vs hotel, and go back through security in AM.
Would I still get EQMs on the A-B segment if I skip the B-C segment even if it is for the next day?
I suppose this is hidden city even though I am actually wanting to go to the skipped segment just don't want to wait.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 1:54 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Is it the last segment of the whole ticket (i.e. you don't have a return trip C-B-A on the same reservation)? If so, then it's doable and you should get A-B credit. You will be marked as a no-show for B-C. If you're not in the habit of throwing away segments, it won't likely raise any eyebrows.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 1:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Details? There could be problem if there's a checked bag.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 2:00 pm

Programs: AA Bonsai EXP (2.9 MM), AS MVPG
Originally Posted by stallion114
Booked A-B-C international flight with B-C with an overnight layover.
Looked up rental cars and I can rent one way for under $100 and get in by 2am (3hr drive). Id rather do this and just be home vs hotel, and go back through security in AM.
Would I still get EQMs on the A-B segment if I skip the B-C segment even if it is for the next day?
I suppose this is hidden city even though I am actually wanting to go to the skipped segment just don't want to wait.
Originally Posted by PHL
Is it the last segment of the whole ticket (i.e. you don't have a return trip C-B-A on the same reservation)? If so, then it's doable and you should get A-B credit. You will be marked as a no-show for B-C. If you're not in the habit of throwing away segments, it won't likely raise any eyebrows.
As PHL says, if this is the very last segment of your itinerary, then the rental car sounds like an outstanding plan versus an extra night in a hotel and another very short flight the next day. You will get credit for the A-B leg and no problem for no-showing on the B-C leg.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 2:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hy Glob,Choice Dia, MR TIT,IHG SPR,HH Dia, Wyn Dia, UA Sil, WN Alis, Hert 5*, National EE
Its a oneway ticket and it is the last segment of the oneway.
No checked bags and I have never done throwaway ticketing on AA.

My biggest concern is not getting the EQM or EQD from the A-B segment that I am flying.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 2:02 pm
Original Poster

Appreciate the help guys!
I'm going to book the car and drive it.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 2:07 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
I did this last fall on American. I skipped the last leg to Las Vegas (included a 6 hour layover) and just ended my flight at LAX and flew home the next day on another flight. That was also with American.

First time I had ever done that with American. But I got credit for all flights except for the last leg. Plus credit for the one way LAX-BNA

But I wouldn't make a habit of it.

I checked bags because you have to get your bags in LAX anyway, go through customs, and recheck. I don't know if DFW is the same way (where you have to get your checked bag, go through customs, then recheck your bag back in), but if so, you can check your bags.

The only hiccup is if there is an operational issue and AA reroutes you to your home airport another way. Then you just go home that way. So its not that big of a deal.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 2:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Without knowing what you mean by A, B, and C, nobody here can give you accurate information.

On a Pre-Clearance flight, your bags will be checked through to C. If you will go through CBP at B, you will pick your bag up at B and, rather than dropping it at bag drop, simply walk out of the airport.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 2:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
You'll be fine. I've had to do this before landing at DFW from LHR. Instead of waiting 6 hours for my 30 min connecting flight, my family would sometimes just drive in to DFW and get me. I would get home 2 hours sooner than I had from just waiting around.

Last edited by econometrics; Mar 11, 2019 at 2:21 pm
Old Mar 11, 2019, 2:19 pm

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
I have also done this. Just don’t check bags.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 3:00 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Details? There could be problem if there's a checked bag.
Not really, 1st sentence of OPs 1st post; " Booked A-B-C international flight with B-C with an overnight layover." as long as the Intl city doesnt have preclearance for CBP then everyone must claim their bags at the 1st port of entry 'B' the OP.. I think only Canada and Ireland fits that (maybe Mexico dont know)
Old Mar 11, 2019, 3:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by craz
Not really, 1st sentence of OPs 1st post; " Booked A-B-C international flight with B-C with an overnight layover." as long as the Intl city doesnt have preclearance for CBP then everyone must claim their bags at the 1st port of entry 'B' the OP.. I think only Canada and Ireland fits that (maybe Mexico dont know)
I think Aruba is on the list now too, but it doesn't matter. If there's just one preclearance airport, such as someplace in Canada, my point is correct.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 3:35 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Even if A is a preclearance station, wouldn't AA short-check the bag if asked? I would say that I need my checked bag for the overnight layover at B.
donotblink likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 4:47 pm
Original Poster

I’m carry on only, but I suppose the bag would be doable given b is the point of entry. Either way I’m not checking bags though.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 5:42 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Amb; AA EXP
My question is: Do you let the airline know you are opting out of taking the flight so that they aren't scouring the airport for you? At the very least, you could tell them you aren't feeling well and don't want to travel...I don't know if this winds up as a 'no good deed goes unpunished.'

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.