Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Late Flight policies?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2019, 1:41 am

Programs: BA Executive Club Silver. Back of the plane on everyone else.
Originally Posted by Jonas914

thats exaty what I’m talking about. Is this new? Or am I just noticing it lately?
My take: I've noticed it a lot more over the past six months than I can remember seeing before. Particularly on Eagle flights, where AA hides behind the excuse of "they'll make up the time with shorter turns" and whatnot.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 8:31 am

It's not just AA. I've seen this happen on UA.
It was 2014. Flew NH SJC-NRT with UA NRT-SIN connecting flight.
NH GA at SJC were quick and proactive to tell me at SJC-NRT check-in that a snowstorm was descending on NRT and the UA NRT-SIN flight would have problems.
UA was in full denial showing on-time NRT-SIN departure for all of the 10+ hours until after I arrived at NRT. The can kept getting kicked down the road until 5 hour late departure and then return to NRT gate with flight cancellation. Wound up spending two nights at NRT, declaring trip-in-vain and cancelling flight.
If UA was up front, I would never have left SJC. But instead, I wound up wasting several days and the frustration of being unable to proactively initiating contingency plans.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 8:43 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Bonvoy titanium
I was on aa173 and we went mechanical before boarding began. I called the exp line looking to back up my flights onto another us bound aircraft.

Exp couldn’t back me up because the flight showed on time. The ground crew refused to put the flight into a delayed status despite me asking with an exp agent on the phone. I literally argued with the gate agents that an on time departure was impossible as we had not gotten onto the aircraft and departure was in 5 min. Aa didn’t declare the aircraft as delayed until 1 min to departure
Old Mar 1, 2019, 3:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA-PlatinumPro, Hilton-Diamond, Marriot-PlatinumElite
@nismo240ssx, that only works if you don’t have luggage. I almost always travel with a checked electronic equipment pelican case.

@Nuhusky, yah that’s what I am seeing now more than what I feel like I saw 6 months ago.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 4:17 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
I've had it happen on Alaska as well. I'd really like to know that I can hang out in the club and be more productive rather than trudging to the gate just in case they've switched a plane.

That's different, however, that the Laguardia shuffle. AA builds a lot of extra time in the schedule for delays at various airports plus delays for deicing in the winter. You can spend a lot of time sitting at Laguardia or other airports and still land on time.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 4:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Delta, Amtrak, Hertz PC
Does anyone know, does the GA even have the ability to delay a flight, or is it only done by AA dispatching?
Old Mar 1, 2019, 11:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP. HH DIAMOND.
Originally Posted by KBMIFlyer
Does anyone know, does the GA even have the ability to delay a flight, or is it only done by AA dispatching?
I've seen GA type into their computer which updates the monitor. Sometimes to fix a typo or when I gate is changed. Not sure how much control they have or where they should get the data from.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 6:20 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by KBMIFlyer
I'm sure it's dispatch. GAs would never be granted that power. In fact often I get a delay notice on my phone to see the board updated 1-2 minutes later. GAs might be informed by dispatch. Whether they actually bother to pass along that information to paxs is another matter.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 9:11 pm

Departure time updates are coming from the operations center in Dallas. Thus, why you can often see a disconnect where those on the front line and at the local level aren't empowered to actually post a delay even though they know it should happen.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 2:00 am
Suspended

I think part of the problem is that AA agents in out stations want the team in AA hub to deal with passengers that suffers a late connection. They don't want to do the complexity ticket transfers. They think it is better to shuttle passengers to the HUB first and then somehow the hub will take care of things.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.