Wiki Posts
Search

4 for 4 service failures on F tickets

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2019, 9:04 pm
Original Poster

4 for 4 service failures on F tickets

Why I’m frustrated and will probably stop flying AA entirely

Transcon F ticket - First, the seat sucked, it’s not comfortable to lie on because it’s not truly flat, it has divots in inconvenient places. Second, Flagship Lounge JFK did not issue dining pass. When I requested one, they studied my boarding pass intently for several seconds before issuing me a pass reluctantly and with no words exchanged. For the price and exclusivity of this ticket I should either get a dining pass proactively, or receive an apology once the receptionists confirmed that I was eligible for the pass. There was nobody in line behind me so they cannot use the excuse that they need to serve other passengers in a timely fashion, and even so, an apology doesn’t take long.

2x domestic F - due to IRROPS, lost F seat. No priority in queue on phone or at airport rebooking counter. Got rebooked into Main Cabin (not Extra).

Schedule change on award ticket - departure time moved up 7 hours. I cancelled the ticket online and wrote to AAdvantage service for reinstatement of miles, referencing the involuntary schedule change explicitly. The reply I received 2 weeks later was sorry to hear you had to cancel, it’s a $150 charge to reinstate miles.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 9:21 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by davie355

Transcon F ticket - First, the seat sucked, it’s not comfortable to lie on because it’s not truly flat, it has divots in inconvenient places. Second, Flagship Lounge JFK did not issue dining pass. When I requested one, they studied my boarding pass intently for several seconds before issuing me a pass reluctantly and with no words exchanged. For the price and exclusivity of this ticket I should either get a dining pass proactively, or receive an apology once the receptionists confirmed that I was eligible for the pass. There was nobody in line behind me so they cannot use the excuse that they need to serve other passengers in a timely fashion, and even so, an apology doesn’t take long.

2x domestic F - due to IRROPS, lost F seat. No priority in queue on phone or at airport rebooking counter. Got rebooked into Main Cabin (not Extra).

Schedule change on award ticket - departure time moved up 7 hours. I cancelled the ticket online and wrote to AAdvantage service for reinstatement of miles, referencing the involuntary schedule change explicitly. The reply I received 2 weeks later was sorry to hear you had to cancel, it’s a $150 charge to reinstate miles.
The IRROPS messing up first class sucks. In fact it was recently a thread over on the Delta forum.
Buying first class is great until something goes wrong...

The refund thing is definitely a mistake and you need to follow up with them. It's shameful that they are either incompetent or willfully obtuse, neither is excusable.

We have a lot of threads about DL vs AA. I made the switch, even though PHX is an AA hub and I'm satisfied so far.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 9:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
I cancelled the ticket online and wrote .
I'd never do that. You should have just called.

As to the other stuff? Unless you are EXP/CK, you are just one of the unwashed- no matter how much the ticket cost. and even then.
Zacnlinc and enpremiere like this.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 11:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
If you call they'll reinstate the miles without the fee.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 12:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
#goingfor great!
Old Feb 28, 2019, 4:54 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by enviroian
#goingfor great!
we mean trying to go for great, but hey just be happy were not
Old Feb 28, 2019, 6:46 am

During the last irrops I had on AA an employee was giving out cards with a special rebooking number to call if you didn't want to wait in the long line at the gate. I called the number and got through immediately. Too bad the gate employees were not as good as the person I talked to on the phone... when I told her that a delayed flight was starting to board she rebooked me onto that and said to get the agent at the door to print me out a new boarding pass--that agent was a PITA and refused to do it--"I don't have time for this. If you don't already have a boarding pass you're not getting on this flight!!" I still had the phone agent on the phone & she rebooked me again through DFW instead of CLT since I wouldn't make my connection if I didn't get on that flight...
I saved the card with the phone number and keep it in my bag so I'll have it ready for the next flight cancellation or long delay..
jinglish likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Gig103
It's shameful that they are either incompetent or willfully obtuse, neither is excusable.
I'm increasingly of the mind that a significant percentage of AA employees are either incompetent or willfully obtuse.

We have a lot of threads about DL vs AA. I made the switch, even though PHX is an AA hub and I'm satisfied so far.
I've moved most of my flying to DL. It has its warts, notably SkyMiles, but is overall a much better experience IMO. Fortunately AA's retrenchment in NYC hasn't made this disruptive for me.
chitink likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 8:01 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold

Transcon F ticket - First, the seat sucked, it’s not comfortable to lie on because it’s not truly flat, it has divots in inconvenient places. Second, Flagship Lounge JFK did not issue dining pass. When I requested one, they studied my boarding pass intently for several seconds before issuing me a pass reluctantly and with no words exchanged. For the price and exclusivity of this ticket I should either get a dining pass proactively, or receive an apology once the receptionists confirmed that I was eligible for the pass.
With around 130 F seats on this route every day, you're not the only AA customer paying $$$ to fly F entering the lounge.

I find the club check in agents at JFK to usually be curt like this. So what. It's NYC. When there's IROPS, they are some of the best in the system.

If you want the red carpet, AA will happily $erve it to you: https://www.aa.com/i18n/plan-travel/...ar-service.jsp
Old Feb 28, 2019, 8:10 am
Original Poster

You know what’s funny about the JFK clubs. Another time I was trying to enter one of the JFK Admirals Clubs, I waited behind two people who were flashing their Priority Pass card high in the air, and the receptionist was explaining calmly and patiently that the card was not accepted at AA lounges.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 9:22 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP | United Silver | HH Diamond | Bonvoy Platinum | Hyatt Explorist
Take it to twitter. I had booked two J tickets from ORD-MIA with a stopover in DFW. I did this because the trip was a mothers day present and I wanted my mom to experience J on a 787/777 since she doesn't like long flights over 5+ hours. We noticed our first flight was cancelled upon check-in, to which the agents only response was - good news we've got you on the next flight to MIA! I looked at the boarding pass, and she had us in the back of coach. First of all I said, I am GLD (which I get is not that special) and said is there anything in MCE. She said yes, so OK thanks for not even trying to put us in MCE. Secondly I asked if she could find a similar routing so we could be in J and on a wide body, she said that we were "lucky" to be on the flight we got on. OK, so no apology, no effort. On the way back we had another cancellation, and ended up flying in coach most of the itinerary, seat in J didn't work no IFE. Also they lost our bags. They offered only a refund of the fare difference. Took to twitter, got 15k miles each and $175 voucher on top of fare difference refund.
jinglish likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AAdamE
Take it to twitter. I had booked two J tickets from ORD-MIA with a stopover in DFW. I did this because the trip was a mothers day present and I wanted my mom to experience J on a 787/777 since she doesn't like long flights over 5+ hours. We noticed our first flight was cancelled upon check-in, to which the agents only response was - good news we've got you on the next flight to MIA! I looked at the boarding pass, and she had us in the back of coach. First of all I said, I am GLD (which I get is not that special) and said is there anything in MCE. She said yes, so OK thanks for not even trying to put us in MCE. Secondly I asked if she could find a similar routing so we could be in J and on a wide body, she said that we were "lucky" to be on the flight we got on. OK, so no apology, no effort. On the way back we had another cancellation, and ended up flying in coach most of the itinerary, seat in J didn't work no IFE. Also they lost our bags. They offered only a refund of the fare difference. Took to twitter, got 15k miles each and $175 voucher on top of fare difference refund.
I agree with this RE twitter. I have been messaging AA for a few years now when I need to via Twitter and they have been (and are) very responsive. They can do just about anything. I have had them ticket a and process a reservation for me.

Very good source of communication with AA.
AAdamE likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 9:46 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by AAdamE
If you don't mind me asking, did they offer a fare difference based on J vs coach on the day you bought your ticket, or did they do it on that ridiculous 'day of travel' where it's usually full Y rates?
Old Feb 28, 2019, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

While AA's twitter responses are appreciably quick, my recent experiences with them are that they are worthless. They can't file a delayed baggage claim (I knew bags loaded on the wrong flight by the time we took off from the app), and they can't handle issues with the upgrade standby list.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ijgordon
While AA's twitter responses are appreciably quick, my recent experiences with them are that they are worthless. They can't file a delayed baggage claim (I knew bags loaded on the wrong flight by the time we took off from the app), and they can't handle issues with the upgrade standby list.
I didn't know that -- interesting. Then again I don't check luggage so for me the functionality it provides works. Guess a truly YMMV situation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.