Wiki Posts
Search

PHX IROPS - which hotels does AA use?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2019, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by RoyalFlush
Like any hub, I'd imagine AA has a number of Sky Harbor area hotels with a negotiated rate to overnight distressed pax at when OSO hits (off-schedule operations).

Specific properties probaly depends on a number of factors, least not being if one is proletarian status or Concierge Key.

This. Always seek out a published or distressed passenger rate. For Sky Harbor, I prefer the DoubleTree or Crowne Plaza. Both are easy to get to and have decent breakfast.

If you wind up with spare time, the DoubleTree is my preferred as it has a decent pool and nearby food (fast food, like Ruby Tuesday's). IIRC, the train goes right from terminal to nearby the Crowne, and from there, one can easily walk to the Tree.

Best luck to your colleague!
Originally Posted by aztimm
There's probably a dozen Doubletree properties in metro Phoenix
If you mean the Doubletree Suites close to the airport, then I agree it is a good property. I've done a few mattress runs there, and they sometimes have decent, "park & fly," rates too. It has been a few years, but the Chinese Cultural Center used to be right behind the property; you could walk to great food in just a few minutes. The light rail isn't too far away either, if you want to go to downtown Phoenix or Tempe.

I agree that a 2 star property in Mesa isn't idea. Looking at Google Maps, it is a bit of a hike from PHX. But as someone else noted, depending when the pax arrived, the hotels closer in might have already been taken.
Most of the time, a hotel in PHX is pretty cheap. Not so much during baseball spring training though (which is to say, right now). That DT Suites is $400 a night tonight.

That would also explain why OP's colleague is in some fleabag motel in Mesa- I doubt AA is willing to shell out $300-400 for a typical airport property during the absolute most expensive time to get a hotel in the greater Phoenix area. I also tend to think that the distressed passenger inventory will vary based on the market- and if hotels can sell to people visiting spring training...
Old Feb 20, 2019, 8:53 am

Programs: HH Diamond, HGVC, WN RR, National Exec, Avis Preferred
Cat Friendly

Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
Pretty poor service AA...Pretty poor:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Re...a_Arizona.html

A non-starter for me at that hotel is a cat sprawled on the bed on the Trip Advisor front page for this place.
AAway and Jane42 like this.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 10:33 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive
Yikes, that hotel does look like a bit of a dump. Quality of the hotel aside, the location just isn't acceptable in my mind. With no traffic you are looking at a 25-30 minute drive to the airport and I doubt there is any sort of shuttle. Not sure how AA covers transportation but with a taxi or Uber you're probably looking at $50+ dollars alone.

As one poster above noted, Spring Training is kicking off this weekend. The first game is actually tomorrow with the bulk starting Saturday. It's possible that the Spring Training traffic has limited airport hotel availability. The airport is a nice central spot to reach any of the stadiums in the Valley. I did a quick hotels.com search out of curiosity for tonight and most of the hotels I'd personally consider staying at are close to $200 or even more so likely it was a cost decision. That being said there are many hotels around the same quality as this one in the airport area that could have at least cut down on the distance.

It's easy for me to sit her and say I'd bite the cost and book my own but we don't know the individual's financial situation. If it wasn't business related it could have been a necessity to take whatever AA gave him/her.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 2:49 pm

Programs: US Chairman no more. AA EXP
The last time I was provided a hotel in PHX was the Hilton Squaw Peak - pretty far away.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 3:16 pm

Programs: AA Exp

Laughing at this hilariously fake review (look at the names): https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUser...a.html?m=19905
Old Feb 20, 2019, 3:56 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by bscooter26
Laughing at this hilariously fake review (look at the names): https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUser...a.html?m=19905
Whoops! She must be having an identity crisis.

The black cat on the bed on the main pic is just too much.

As others have said, this was likely all that was available as this is not typical.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 6:09 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by jfinsocal
The last time I was provided a hotel in PHX was the Hilton Squaw Peak - pretty far away.
According to Google Maps, the drive right now is 20 minutes, and that's with some rush hour traffic. The drive to the Windemere right now is 35 minutes.
At least the Hilton is a true resort; I've never stayed there, but have gone to several events and it is indeed a nice property. Plus the area where it is located is far far better than East Mesa (although if you are being put up due to irrops I doubt you'd be out on the town).
Old Feb 20, 2019, 6:25 pm

Programs: AA EXPlat, 2.4MM; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by MrAndy1369
When I was on a mech delay in 2012 and 2013, respectively, AA booked me in the DFW Marriott and at the ORD Hilton. Non-elite.
Twice I have asked a GA for a choice (Hilton brand) and I was allowed to book there, avoiding the need to seek reimbursement later.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 7:18 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by bscooter26
Classic completely unbelievable review from a one time poster. Perhaps named Patel. ROFL! (Classic illustration of the kind of posts I totally ignore on TA.)
Attached Images   
dls25, AAway, aztimm and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 8:34 pm

Wow East Mesa at that, no where near the airport.

Last edited by bbbb; Feb 20, 2019 at 8:40 pm
Old Feb 20, 2019, 9:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by Segments
Agree that I prefer to find my own hotel and then file for reimbursement from AA. At least I know what I’m getting, I don’t waste time standing in line for a hotel voucher, or find out it’s merely a distressed rate and by the time I get there the property is full. Even when I thought I had a good rate always ask at front desk about a distressed rate. Many airport hotels have them and are easier to get for MX delays than WX as hotel is less likely to be near capacity.
Reimbursement rate is dependent on AA rates for a given locale. Last fall I missed a connection in DFW due to mechanical. Used a points and cash rate of $68 and was fully reimbursed.
How did they reimburse for the hotel points?
Old Feb 20, 2019, 9:54 pm

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Originally Posted by mvoight
How did they reimburse for the hotel points?
Did not reimburse points, just the out of pocket cash. Didn’t bother me as I needed Hyatt account activity to prevent expiration.

Old Feb 20, 2019, 10:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by aztimm
There's probably a dozen Doubletree properties in metro Phoenix
If you mean the Doubletree Suites close to the airport, then I agree it is a good property. I've done a few mattress runs there, and they sometimes have decent, "park & fly," rates too. It has been a few years, but the Chinese Cultural Center used to be right behind the property; you could walk to great food in just a few minutes. The light rail isn't too far away either, if you want to go to downtown Phoenix or Tempe.

I agree that a 2 star property in Mesa isn't idea. Looking at Google Maps, it is a bit of a hike from PHX. But as someone else noted, depending when the pax arrived, the hotels closer in might have already been taken.
Yeah they put me up at the Doubletree suites by the airport, I probably would have turned down a non airport hotel and definitely would have turned down this crazy Mesa motel...eek.
E55 likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 8:22 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; Marriott Plat; HHonors Diamond; Hertz PC
I think someone mentioned this but right now is the busiest time for hotels in Phoenix. Its still winter everywhere and Spring Training just started. Hotel prices skyrocket and availability is really tight. Its also the one time PHX gets long lines for check in and TSA. I hate traveling during Spring Training because of this.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 11:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by phxbarcelona
I think someone mentioned this but right now is the busiest time for hotels in Phoenix. Its still winter everywhere and Spring Training just started. Hotel prices skyrocket and availability is really tight. Its also the one time PHX gets long lines for check in and TSA. I hate traveling during Spring Training because of this.
In another thread, someone commented about probably getting stuck at PHX on the way to Flagstaff, so I think there might be a hotel crunch near the airport

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.