Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA gifted me Gold: rich impressions (and IROPS)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2019, 12:13 am
dwh
Original Poster

Booked my first AA flight in 20 years LAS-PHX-SAF. I've been NWA/Delta Platinum (equivalent to AA Platinum Pro) that entire time.

A couple weeks before travel, AA sends me a letter saying they will gift me Gold status! I can maintain that status if I then fly X amount on AA in the next whatever.

It was exciting to see my name on the LAS-PHX upgrade list. There were 28 people on the list for zero seats. I was number 28.

Much better situation for the PHX-SAF connection: I was #4 (of 4) for zero seats. The PHX-SAF flight, however, experiences a delay. It will get in half an hour later. No, wait, it will get in 5 hours late (a mechanical). They say that 9pm is the earliest they can swap in another aircraft.

After three hours they bring in a cart with snacks to the gate area. The departure is delayed another 45 minutes. Finally our inbound aircraft arrives at PHX. The boarding time is 10 minutes, then 6, then 4, then back up to 7, then down to 2, then nothing happens. Rumors swirl through the gate area. One pax says that they can't find a crew to fly the plane, since they have timed out. Other passengers volunteer to fly it. Finally the announcement: one crewmember has "called in sick", and operations will keep us informed while they try to find a replacement.

After a while the next announcement. The flight is cancelled and rescheduled for 6:45am the next morning, and come get a hotel voucher. The printer doesn't work, so the entire line rushes over to a different gate to line up again to get their voucher. I get mine and am told to go to the courtesy lane and call the hotel for the shuttle.

I call the hotel and they say sorry, they aren't running a shuttle, and to go get the airline to pay for a cab. Went up to check-in, and the agent cranks out voucher for a different hotel instead. The Sleep Inn. This place is dingy. This is where I am right now, at midnight, before my 4am wake-up call.

Even though I am Gold on AA, do I ever wish I were flying Delta. Visions tumble in my head of crackerjack professional staff, ongoing conscientious information and support during irrops, a crew and flight scheduling system that anticipates and adjusts on the fly, of competence and poise, as opposed to virtual third-world standards.

And early tomorrow the adventure continues, on this, my first AA trip in 20 years - - as a newly minted AA Gold Elite.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 1:26 am

Originally Posted by dwh
Booked my first AA flight in 20 years LAS-PHX-SAF. I've been NWA/Delta Platinum (equivalent to AA Platinum Pro) that entire time.

A couple weeks before travel, AA sends me a letter saying they will gift me Gold status! I can maintain that status if I then fly X amount on AA in the next whatever.

It was exciting to see my name on the LAS-PHX upgrade list. There were 28 people on the list for zero seats. I was number 28.

Much better situation for the PHX-SAF connection: I was #4 (of 4) for zero seats. The PHX-SAF flight, however, experiences a delay. It will get in half an hour later. No, wait, it will get in 5 hours late (a mechanical). They say that 9pm is the earliest they can swap in another aircraft.

After three hours they bring in a cart with snacks to the gate area. The departure is delayed another 45 minutes. Finally our inbound aircraft arrives at PHX. The boarding time is 10 minutes, then 6, then 4, then back up to 7, then down to 2, then nothing happens. Rumors swirl through the gate area. One pax says that they can't find a crew to fly the plane, since they have timed out. Other passengers volunteer to fly it. Finally the announcement: one crewmember has "called in sick", and operations will keep us informed while they try to find a replacement.

After a while the next announcement. The flight is cancelled and rescheduled for 6:45am the next morning, and come get a hotel voucher. The printer doesn't work, so the entire line rushes over to a different gate to line up again to get their voucher. I get mine and am told to go to the courtesy lane and call the hotel for the shuttle.

I call the hotel and they say sorry, they aren't running a shuttle, and to go get the airline to pay for a cab. Went up to check-in, and the agent cranks out voucher for a different hotel instead. The Sleep Inn. This place is dingy. This is where I am right now, at midnight, before my 4am wake-up call.

Even though I am Gold on AA, do I ever wish I were flying Delta. Visions tumble in my head of crackerjack professional staff, ongoing conscientious information and support during irrops, a crew and flight scheduling system that anticipates and adjusts on the fly, of competence and poise, as opposed to virtual third-world standards.

And early tomorrow the adventure continues, on this, my first AA trip in 20 years - - as a newly minted AA Gold Elite.
It is unfortunate your first AA flight in 20 years did not go as planned but what does this have to do with having AA Gold status?

Hopefully, tomorrow’s travels go more smoothly.
HiAperture likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 5:21 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
And I too was NW/DL Platinum/Diamond. I had similar issues on NW/DL, including having to sleep in the ATL airport after a 6+ hour delayed LAS-ATL flight a few years ago. It happens, some flights just don't go as planned.
rumboj likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 5:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
welcome to a horribly run airline.

Took me two days to get home from SEA last week---broken door, broken de-icer, crew was late arriving from their hotel, etc.

Last edited by enviroian; Feb 14, 2019 at 6:25 am
Old Feb 14, 2019, 6:58 am

in this respect, we as EU guys has the advantage - in this cas 250-600 bucks are yours
Old Feb 14, 2019, 7:23 am

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by USFlyerUS
And I too was NW/DL Platinum/Diamond. I had similar issues on NW/DL, including having to sleep in the ATL airport after a 6+ hour delayed LAS-ATL flight a few years ago. It happens, some flights just don't go as planned.
Yes it can happen on any airline, but it does happen on AA a lot. The monthly statistics, especially AA vs DL, bear this out. And when things go south on AA, they seem to really go south, as the OP experienced. AA management's priority is cost control and squeezing in as many pax as possible, with predictable results on operations. UA and DL went through similar periods but both figured out that was a dead end. It took the Port Authority scandal for UA to dump SMI/J. I wonder how AA will accomplish the same.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 7:31 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by enviroian
welcome to a horribly run airline.

Took me two days to get home from SEA last week---broken door, broken de-icer, crew was late arriving from their hotel, etc.
I'm honestly curious, why do you continue to fly AA? You seem to have a constant string of issues with them, and complaints, yet you are still flying them.

And don't give me "I live in a AA hub." I fly AA out of a UA/WN hub...
Old Feb 14, 2019, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by bse118
And don't give me "I fly in a hub." I fly AA out of a UA/WN hub...
Me too.

UA is worse. Hard product, soft product, hub airport facilities, irrational love for ER4 equipment on 4 hour flights etc. So sadly, despite the times I want to say screw it and walk (after 11 straight flights that were rolling delayed), it's still better than the remnants of what SMI/J did. For now.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by bse118
I'm honestly curious, why do you continue to fly AA? You seem to have a constant string of issues with them, and complaints, yet you are still flying them.

And don't give me "I live in a AA hub." I fly AA out of a UA/WN hub...
The non stops to heathrow are why. I travel there often and value the 3 daily non stop options that’s why.

Last edited by enviroian; Feb 14, 2019 at 7:44 am Reason: Spelling
Old Feb 14, 2019, 7:43 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by enviroian
The non stops to heathrow are why. I travel their often and value the 3 daily non stop options that’s why.
So in other words - AA offers the best product for your needs. @:-)

Until you're actually willing to do something about it - all the whinging is just noise.
USFlyerUS likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 8:05 am

And to think that if only the OP had not received Gold status, everything would have been fine. It just goes to show you...
writerguyfl, rumboj and Antarius like this.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 8:20 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Firstly, I'm sorry that the OP had this experience. But as a fresh AA Gold, he should know that upgrades are done by status, then by EQD. Without prior travel on AA in the past year (or at all), he would be at the bottom of the barrel.

Secondly, if I was traveling between Vegas and Santa Fe, I probably would have just flown WN nonstop to ABQ. There are at least 4x daily (that I can easily see). From ABQ, there is a railrunner train that will get you up to Santa Fe, or you could rent a car, or take one of several different shuttles. I've been to Santa Fe several times. While there are flights into SAF, I've found it far easier to fly to ABQ and rent a car from there (car rentals seem less at ABQ, IME).

Thirdly, after the extensive layover at PHX, who did he talk to about possible alternatives? Taking a quick look through AA's PHX-ABQ schedule, there seemed to have been at least 2 different flights he could have gotten on (I don't know if there were seats, but it doesn't hurt to ask). Again, from ABQ it is fairly straightforward getting up to Santa Fe.

Yes, things can and sometimes do go wrong when you fly any carrier. But coming up with alternatives when they do is part of being a smart traveler. As an elite on Delta, I'm surprised that the OP wouldn't have thought of alternatives and either called or spoken to someone at the airport.

Hope today's travel is better for the OP. At least it looks like the PHX-SAF flight arrived:
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/...446Z/KPHX/KSAF
Old Feb 14, 2019, 11:36 am

Originally Posted by aztimm
Firstly, I'm sorry that the OP had this experience. But as a fresh AA Gold, he should know that upgrades are done by status, then by EQD. Without prior travel on AA in the past year (or at all), he would be at the bottom of the barrel.

Secondly, if I was traveling between Vegas and Santa Fe, I probably would have just flown WN nonstop to ABQ. There are at least 4x daily (that I can easily see). From ABQ, there is a railrunner train that will get you up to Santa Fe, or you could rent a car, or take one of several different shuttles. I've been to Santa Fe several times. While there are flights into SAF, I've found it far easier to fly to ABQ and rent a car from there (car rentals seem less at ABQ, IME).

Thirdly, after the extensive layover at PHX, who did he talk to about possible alternatives? Taking a quick look through AA's PHX-ABQ schedule, there seemed to have been at least 2 different flights he could have gotten on (I don't know if there were seats, but it doesn't hurt to ask). Again, from ABQ it is fairly straightforward getting up to Santa Fe.

Yes, things can and sometimes do go wrong when you fly any carrier. But coming up with alternatives when they do is part of being a smart traveler. As an elite on Delta, I'm surprised that the OP wouldn't have thought of alternatives and either called or spoken to someone at the airport.

Hope today's travel is better for the OP. At least it looks like the PHX-SAF flight arrived:
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/...446Z/KPHX/KSAF
TIL the dingy hotel OP is at didn't have the 4am wake up call and they missed their flight, so that is AA's fault too since they didn't get a wake up call.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 5:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Owner of 2,000 TWA shares
DYKWIA!
Old Feb 14, 2019, 9:18 pm

AA is not proactive about anything - they simply don't help people help themselves. For example, the number of times I've seen my departure shown as On Time, when the inbound aircraft is not even on the way and we're due to board. Clearly the flight is delayed - instead of creating chaos at the gate, let people have the information in advance so they can make the right decisions via the app, phone, ticket counter, rebooking counter, corporate travel agent, etc like they can on DL. During delays on AA, the gate agents often become adversarial and provide limited updates and attitude during rebooking, whereas on DL I often find that they take pride in trying to resolve the situation and provide support... and passengers notice this and respond to the situation accordingly. Completely different atmosphere at the gate during a delay between the two airlines.
Yahtzee likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.