Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Changes in long haul audio entertainment ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2019, 6:32 am
Original Poster

I was on an AA 772 from LHR-DFW yesterday . Went to listen to some audio offerings and there was about 10% of the January content. I asked the FA and she seemed to think it was a cost cutting measure. Looks like the amount of content they had 10 years ago.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
That would have been a good time for the FA to say "Oh, I'm sorry but I don't know anything about that,' instead of speculating.
adunker, sluggoaafa, wrp96 and 2 others like this.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 8:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
That would have been a good time for the FA to say "Oh, I'm sorry but I don't know anything about that,' instead of speculating.
Thank you for that very helpful comment
Old Feb 11, 2019, 8:44 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
I was on a long-haul flight in J in January which had no audio except for the "American radio" (or whatever they are called) channels
Old Feb 11, 2019, 1:00 pm

i mean in the current era of spotify/pandora etc, i can't imagine needing to listen to what AA (or any airline) picked for me to listen to compared to my own choices. I think their audio channels are pretty much irrelevant anymore.
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 1:16 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Dont worry, they’re going to introduce Hi Fi by 2022...
Gringa likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JDiver
And quadraphonic some time later!
Old Feb 11, 2019, 8:27 pm

I happen to enjoy the programmed music. Don’t they currently use Spotify for the programs?
Old Feb 11, 2019, 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by anc305
I was on an AA 772 from LHR-DFW yesterday . Went to listen to some audio offerings and there was about 10% of the January content. I asked the FA and she seemed to think it was a cost cutting measure. Looks like the amount of content they had 10 years ago.
https://entertainment.aa.com/en/
Old Feb 12, 2019, 4:41 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Bonvoy titanium
Isn’t aa rolling out streaming audio with apple which would probably indicate they will abandon their own audio channels for a far superior offering?

why support their own content when they have a deal with apple? It costs money to have content and to maintain that audio channel. Makes no sense to work support both apple or their own channel but with apple does it really matter if the aa radio dies?
bscooter26 likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 5:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by railmatt
Thanks for this link. This is what I had on the way to LHR in Jan. but not on the return in Feb. I hope it just was a one off. I know lots of folks just want to bring there on entertainment. I don't . I just want a pair of Bose , a drink , and lots of content to keep me occupied.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 6:26 am

Programs: AA EXP / 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by anc305
Thanks for this link. This is what I had on the way to LHR in Jan. but not on the return in Feb. I hope it just was a one off. I know lots of folks just want to bring there on entertainment. I don't . I just want a pair of Bose , a drink , and lots of content to keep me occupied.
Will you settle for Bang & Olufsen?
Old Feb 12, 2019, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by Nuhusky
Isn’t aa rolling out streaming audio with apple which would probably indicate they will abandon their own audio channels for a far superior offering?

why support their own content when they have a deal with apple? It costs money to have content and to maintain that audio channel. Makes no sense to work support both apple or their own channel but with apple does it really matter if the aa radio dies?
I mean, I’m sure all the people
who don’t have Apple Music (and That’s a lot of people) won’t love it. (Whether AA cares, is another issue entirely, though.)

More importantly though, the Apple thing is only on ViaSat equipped planes, which the long haul fleet isn’t and neither is a decent chunk of the short haul fleet.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 10:53 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Bonvoy titanium
True but clearly this is the vision from aa. Matter of time imo before they kill inflight radio where they aa acquire the content and let others like Apple play that role

wouldnt be surprised if video follows suit with Netflix or amazon becoming the video provider when the technology catch up
Old Feb 12, 2019, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
Four channels per quad, but that's...that's just technical talk...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.