Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Can someone explain this YVR-JFK-LAX award logic?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can someone explain this YVR-JFK-LAX award logic?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2019, 9:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, United Silver
Originally Posted by no1cub17
Wow I'm very surprised you were able to book this as one award. Just curious how many miles did it cost? 50k?

Normally I'd say you're insane - YVR-LAX is a cheap two hour flight, but seems like you're one to soak it all in and enjoy the journey. Hope it's a fun one!
Bingo! 50k is correct. I was also surprised it let me book it as one award.You know maybe I am insane for doing the crazy journey but it will be worth it. Gonna make the most of it.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 9:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by Daniel Solis
Bingo! 50k is correct. I was also surprised it let me book it as one award.You know maybe I am insane for doing the crazy journey but it will be worth it. Gonna make the most of it.
Don't forget to do FFD at both JFK and LAX!
Old Feb 6, 2019, 10:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, United Silver
Originally Posted by platbrownguy
Don't forget to do FFD at both JFK and LAX!
I completely forgot I would have access to FFD. Thanks for letting me know.
platbrownguy likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 12:06 am

Programs: Lots
Originally Posted by guv1976
Just in case you don't know, the CX YVR-JFK flight clears U.S. immigration and customs at JFK, not YVR.
Which the OP should be happy about as the Transborder terminal at YVR is pretty sad. Ive spent more time there than I can count and the Plaza Premium lounge is... not good. The domestic PP lounge at least has made to order pasta with an oddly addictive pesto sauce.

Enjoy the CX lounge OP, I havent been but its got to be better than the alternative. And know that for pretty much everyone on here questioning your sanity for connecting in JFK there is someone else who is jealous.
Zacnlinc likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 9:18 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
I'm really surprised this priced as a one-way rather than an open jaw with destination being JFK.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 2:05 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
CX lounge in YVR is quite enjoyable with nice views of the mountains, apron and city in the background. Recently remodeled too.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 2:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Owner of 2,000 TWA shares
Great mileage run. Horrible award redemption.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 2:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by Uncle Nonny
Great mileage run. Horrible award redemption.
I disagree. Hour for hour, 50k for ~11-12 (total) hours in CX F and AA 321T F, with two FFD experiences, is hard to beat. I suppose you could swing NRT-JFK-LAX with JL/AA F and the same FFDs for 80k, but we're still in the same order of magnitude in terms of redemption value for people who, like me, actually enjoy flying.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 2:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Owner of 2,000 TWA shares
Originally Posted by platbrownguy
I disagree. Hour for hour, 50k for ~11-12 (total) hours in CX F and AA 321T F, with two FFD experiences, is hard to beat. I suppose you could swing NRT-JFK-LAX with JL/AA F and the same FFDs for 80k, but we're still in the same order of magnitude in terms of redemption value for people who, like me, actually enjoy flying.
I'm a cheap ba$tard. I like to earn as I fly. I prefer to redeem for family members. More power to those love to fly for free.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 5:52 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
I've been offered SAN-JFK-LAX-KOA and SAN-MIA-LAX-HNL for milesaver awards. It's absolutely asinine that AA thinks that's acceptable.
Zacnlinc likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by skunker
I've been offered SAN-JFK-LAX-KOA and SAN-MIA-LAX-HNL for milesaver awards. It's absolutely asinine that AA thinks that's acceptable.
they dont think. They know its nit acceptable and hoping that you will book revenue ticket instead.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 6:15 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Interesting way to get from YVR to LAX but CX F to JFK, then AA F to LAX -- that's a nice redemption for 50K if you have the time to enjoy it.

Hope the bloggers don't write about this .... and get it killed.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 6:31 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
I just realized how nuts this is, not the routing per se but that you cannot book this online (because AA does not display CX availability online), so that means you have to talk to an actual person to do this.

Reminds me of the LifeMiles "boomerangs" with LH F and also some stories I saw about AS EK F awards using multi-segment search... I guess if this floats your boat, but I will say that short YVR-JFK flight isn't all that much fun in J or F, I've done it and always regretted it.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
If I were going to fly this route -- in either direction -- as an award, I think that I would try to maximize the JFK layover in order to spend a day in NYC. Probably better to do LAX-JFK-YVR than vice versa for those purposes. I'm not sure if AA allows 18 or 24 hours for this connection, but if it's 24, one could depart LAX in the afternoon, arrive JFK late at night, and have almost 24 hours before the CX JFK-YVR flight departs.

Of course, you'd have to be able to find F or J SAAver availability on the necessary LAX-JFK flight.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976
If I were going to fly this route -- in either direction -- as an award, I think that I would try to maximize the JFK layover in order to spend a day in NYC. Probably better to do LAX-JFK-YVR than vice versa for those purposes. I'm not sure if AA allows 18 or 24 hours for this connection, but if it's 24, one could depart LAX in the afternoon, arrive JFK late at night, and have almost 24 hours before the CX JFK-YVR flight departs.

Of course, you'd have to be able to find F or J SAAver availability on the necessary LAX-JFK flight.
In fact, if you did this right, you could probably do YVR-JFK-LAX-SAN and build in enough time in NY and LA so that you could eat four times at FFD -- once each on arrival and departure at each of NY and LA.

I'll stick to buying $650 tickets JFK-LAX and using BXP1s to upgrade them to F.
SFO777 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.