Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 6, 2019, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: skunker
American Airlines, British Airways, and the Port Authority announced a $344 million renovation and refurbishment project at JFK that will result in the relocation of BA from T7 to American's terminal, T8.

Press coverage:
American Airlines and British Airways Announce $344 Million Terminal 8 Expansion at JFK
JFK Airport’s Terminal 8 to Get $344 Million Renovation (subscription may be required)

Link to the thread in the FlyerTalk BA forum.
Print Wikipost

BA to (finally) join AA in T8 at JFK

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2019, 7:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
BA to (finally) join AA in T8 at JFK

JDiver, george 3 and N830MH like this.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 8:21 am

Programs: AA EXP Plat, Mariott Gold, Hilton Gold
I have a feeling they will build out to the right of security by Bobby Vans with some sort of Oneworld Lounge with A380 capable gates which are perfect for JFK-LHR. After checking the renderings and reading the articles it looks like bus stands, and the addition of 1-2 gates while restructuring a few. Interesting to see what IB, Qatar, and AS do as well. Im surprised that they wouldn't want to invest to get a few more gates. Excited to see this move forward.

Also check out:

https://www.governor.ny.gov/sites/go...Renderings.pdf

https://www.governor.ny.gov/news/gov...4-million-part

https://www.globest.com/2019/02/06/w...20190106102240

https://www.wsj.com/articles/jfk-air...on-11549466054
JDiver likes this.

Last edited by Pasqualle7; Feb 6, 2019 at 8:36 am
Old Feb 6, 2019, 8:48 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA: EXP, 1MM Marriott: Ambassador, LTT
The press release says they are adding 5 wide-body gates, but the rendering shows only 2 new gates and a very small expansion of the existing land side terminal to the NE. The other 3 wide-body gates appear to come from "re-gating" some of the gates in the satellite terminal that currently serve regional jets so its looks like the total # of gates either stays the same or may even decrease.

There is plenty of space to do a more substantial expansion the land side terminal more to the NE (what I think was originally referred to as "phase 3" when they redeveloped terminal 8), so this looks like American is really doing just the bare minimum to accommodate "homeless" BA and wrapping in some assorted terminal upgrades with it. Also, if they are in fact re-gating some of the regional gates it suggests that AA is firmly focused on JFK as just an "O&D" market and will be redirecting whatever regional "feeder" traffic is left down to PHL.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 8:56 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA: EXP, 1MM Marriott: Ambassador, LTT
Here's a plan for the original "Phase 3" expansion plans which would have added 8 more gates (and a lot more terminal space) than are there currently vs. the 2 in today's announcement.
JDiver, LovePrunes, N830MH and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Cool.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 10:38 am

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Pasqualle7
I have a feeling they will build out to the right of security by Bobby Vans with some sort of Oneworld Lounge with A380 capable gates which are perfect for JFK-LHR. After checking the renderings and reading the articles it looks like bus stands, and the addition of 1-2 gates while restructuring a few. Interesting to see what IB, Qatar, and AS do as well. Im surprised that they wouldn't want to invest to get a few more gates. Excited to see this move forward.

Also check out:

https://www.governor.ny.gov/sites/go...Renderings.pdf

https://www.governor.ny.gov/news/gov...4-million-part

https://www.globest.com/2019/02/06/w...20190106102240

https://www.wsj.com/articles/jfk-air...on-11549466054
+1. Yes, it would be interesting to see that!
Old Feb 6, 2019, 10:51 am

Programs: Lots of faux metal
The Flagship Lounge is going to standing room only.
AANYC1981, kcmd and Zacnlinc like this.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 10:56 am

Programs: AA EXP Plat, Mariott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by allset2travel
+1. Yes, it would be interesting to see that!
I have a feeling this will be the first OW Lounge Space that was mentioned in the 2/1/18 OW press release. Would make sense as AA owns the space limited agreements and with the FL packed now throwing in BA they should add a new lounge. This will benefit CX, Qatar, and LATAM.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 11:22 am

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Didn't BA just finish renovating their T7 lounges?

I think this will bode well for the T8 premium experience- a lot of traffic/volume to leverage in supporting lounge investments.

Gonna go see what the BA board think of it .
LovePrunes likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 11:25 am

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
There's something charming about a foreign airline having basically its own terminal on American soil, even if the concessions in T7 have been truly awful for a long time. Also hard to see where BA gets the lounge space for the move when you think about how much space they have now - there's no way the current Admirals clubs can absorb J/F pax from the OW flights in T7, plus BA will have to (I assume) build another Concorde Room...
Old Feb 6, 2019, 2:11 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Not all that surprising after this:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/04/n...ort-cuomo.html
aztimm likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 9:05 pm
Original Member

A few notes - they indicate that they will add 70,000 sq ft of space of which 33,000 will be public space. I asume that would include new waiting areas for the new gates and new lounge space. Still dont get the remote stands when it appears there is enough space to add those 4 gates - but its a joint investment so maybe BA did not want to put up additional funds to support that. Wonder if the BA flights will be limited to the stand gates....
Old Feb 7, 2019, 12:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by steveholt
There's something charming about a foreign airline having basically its own terminal on American soil, even if the concessions in T7 have been truly awful for a long time. Also hard to see where BA gets the lounge space for the move when you think about how much space they have now - there's no way the current Admirals clubs can absorb J/F pax from the OW flights in T7, plus BA will have to (I assume) build another Concorde Room...
I seriously doubt that BA would not build a Concorde Room in T8.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 7:35 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
This is a long overdue announcement, and from others it appears that T7's days are numbered. Thus, what do AS, IB, CX do? The original plan (thank you BillBurn for posting above) showed a much larger addition, and the far eastern wall has a very obvious "temporary" look to it, even if it has been that way for over a decade. The rendering shows one gate coming out of where a further expansion may be added - thus, perhaps that's where you can add another two for the other T7 airlines. And perhaps gates 14 and 16 (where's 15?) can be assigned over to BA and others - I frequently see the MXP and FCO (summer) flights in those two gates, along with GRU (boarded there most often). AA can also expand the Concourse B FL to the east on the mez level, and perhaps that's where BA builds a Concorde Lounge/Galleries JFK? Lounge. Or perhaps a shared OW Lounge. It's my home airport, and it's going to be fun to speculate as the plan unfolds.
Pasqualle7 likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 8:44 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by george 3
This is a long overdue announcement, and from others it appears that T7's days are numbered. Thus, what do AS, IB, CX do?
CX is already in T8. I highly doubt that BA and AA would colocate in T8 while leaving IB to fend for itself elsewhere. If we do indeed get four additional widebody gates out of this, those gates plus any currently spare capacity (particularly later in the evening) should be enough to accommodate BA and IB. That said, not sure if any work will need to be done on the odd-numbered widebody gates on the south side of the satellite--IIRC all but gate 47 (which CX regularly uses) can only handle up to 767s, which AA plans to swap out on European routes in favor of 777s starting this summer.

Don't forget the QR morning rotation, which currently parks at T7 for some unknown reason (T8 is not short on widebody gates in the late morning). As for AS, I suspect they'd only be accommodated in T8 after all the other OW airlines; their partnership with AA is rather tenuous in its current state.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.