Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2016-2017 Admirals Club, Flagship Lounge & Dining Changes, Renovations

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 25, 2019, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
NOTE: The current thread can be read here.

Admirals Club, Flagship Lounge, Flagship Dining Changes, Renovations & Additions
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; print wiki content with (lower right wiki corner)

On 17 February 2016 American Airlines announced a number of additions and implied possible access changes. Link.

Link to aa.com page listing lounge updates. (DEACTIVATED)

NOTES:: Day Pass sales have been suspended at airports with Admirals Clubs under renovation.

Thirty day memberships ceased to be available 25 Jul 2016.

Read the newest posts for updated information.

Admirals Club, Flagship, Arrivals Lounges and Flagship First Dining

CLT Concourse B Club to be closed “soon” (As of June 2018) for renovation.. Link.

DFW Terminal D Club CLOSED for refurbishment, Dining closed, interim Premium passenger lounge open ~7 Apr 2018. New Flagship Lounge, Flagship First Dining and Admirals Club to open (perhaps in 18-24 months?) See this thread.

DFW Terminal A Club OPEN again as of 7 April 2018.

DFW Terminal D Admirals Club, Flagship Dining CLOSED 7 Apr 2018.

DFW Terminal D interim Premium Lounge above D36 OPEN 7 Apr 2018. (NOTE: only open to eligible International Premium cabin passengers, not Admirals Club members.)

SEE DFW Admirals Club Terminal D 7 Apr 2018 Closure for Extensive Changes

Current Flagship Lounges and Flagship First Dining Lounges
: Chicago (ORD), Los Angeles (LAX), New York (JFK) renewed.

London (LHR) and New York (JFK) Flagship Lounges recently renewed.

Flagship Lounge Additions, Club Renovations and Flagship Dining expansion and access changes:

During renovations and prior to new rules allowing longhaul international Business, EP, PPro and Plat passengers to access Flagship Lounges, some will temporarily be renamed "International First Class Lounge".
  • Chicago (ORD): H6-K6 Renovations (Flagship Lounge, Flagship First Dining, Admirals Club) over
  • Chicago (ORD): The new Admirals Club at Concourse L opened 27 Nov 2016.

• Dallas - FT. Worth (DFW): Terminal "D” Flagship Lounge / oneworld Airlines Premium Lounge, Flagship First Dining and Admirals Club to open ~2019 .

• Los Angeles (LAX): Renovation (Flagship Lounge, Flagship First Dining, Admirals Club) complete. T5 lounge open in old Delta Sky Club space.[/b]

• London (LHR): Arrivals Lounge recently renovated; reopened 3 Aug 2016 with enhanced breakfast, expanded hours and 29 shower suites.

• Miami (MIA): D30 Flagship Lounge renovation is finished (Club portionclosed?), D15 Renovation is finished, restrooms, children's room, business center all open; D30 new Flagship Lounge with 6 nice big showers, Arepa station, buffet and more is open ; Flagship Dining open.

• New York (JFK): B12 Club closed for renovation (temporary lounge open on mezzanine bridge or use C42 Club); Flagship First Dining opened 25 May 2017. First Class Lounge renovation completed 8 Dec 2016 and Flagship Lounge name restored.

• Philadelphia (PHL): New Flagship Lounge scheduled - A West Club Gates A15/A16.

• Rio de Janeiro (GIG) Renovation completed 4 Aug 2016.
Closures (2015): Clubs were closed at Buffalo (BUF) and San Juan (SJU) in 2015.

Access changes from AA
  • Flagship Lounge access AA: Starting in mid 2017, Flagship Lounge access is extended to customers booked in Business and First Class on A321T three class transcon, Trans-Atlantic, Trans-Pacific and deep South American flights, as well as EXP/EMD, PPRO & PLAT/SAP on qualifying flights in any class of service.

See and discuss in Expanded Access to Flagship Lounge Coming "in Spring 2017"

• Flagship First Dining access: First Class customers on American’s 3-class international and transcontinental flights will have exclusive access to FlagshipSM Dining in 2017.

(This has put Flagship Dining into a category similar to the BA Concorde Room and a few other lounges - not oneworld lounges, restricted to long haul Flagship (three class) First passengers on AA marketed and operated flights only.)

• Admirals Club access: No announced or predicted access changes.
However, thirty day memberships are no longer available as of 25 Jul 2016, and One Day Pass cost has increased to $59. Annual Club memberships increased in price in 2016.

Link to View from the Wing article

[/color]
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 2016-2017 Admirals Club, Flagship Lounge & Dining Changes, Renovations

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2017, 3:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by arlflyer
"Being at the airport" includes drop-off, check-in, security, and in the case of MCO, the train ride to the terminal. Starting that process at 3:50 would give you 90 minutes before the first flight.

I personally wouldn't target being airside that early. But I mean, whatever floats your boat. If you get a rise out of 90 minutes' worth of stale bagels and nescafe, then I guess that's your jam.

The point I was making was not a value judgement for the sake of starting a heated argument - of course, this being FT, you took it down that road immediately - but was rather a comparison (as others have noted, citing for example the ORD AC opening time) to other lounges' opening times relative to the time of first departure.
My single point was that 90 minutes prior to First flight is hardly out of line. You and I may normally arrive later then that, but there's plenty of people that don't. Either they're just not comfortable, they have no choice (airport shuttles mostly aren't on demand), there can be concerns (for example, traffic or security delays) about arriving on time but conditions result in arriving early, or can have issues that require dealing with an agent. Under the same logic, having checkin open more then 90 minutes before first flight is out of line.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 3:28 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
My father went to the MCO Club a few days ago and he said it's the most packed AC in the system with kids running around everywhere.

I guess that's plausible as Orlando is a kid-destination.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 4:01 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by sts603
The layout is a vestige as its former roll as a US Airways Club that was designed back int he 1990s. Given the narrow dimensions of the old MCO terminals, I don't think they had a choice.
The space has been expanded a couple of times since I've been a member, but I think the location dates all the way back to a Piedmont Presidential Suite in the 80's. It still had that decor when I first joined. I agree about the design -- unless they want to go up (like United) or out, I fear they've reached the boundaries of expanding it.

Originally Posted by miamiflyer8
My father went to the MCO Club a few days ago and he said it's the most packed AC in the system with kids running around everywhere.

I guess that's plausible as Orlando is a kid-destination.
When it was a US Airways Club, for a while, they had a children's room downstairs. That was not a common amenity in US Clubs the way it was at other carriers, so it's appearance really said something.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 2:40 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, HH Lifetime Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Marrriott Silver, SPG, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by BWISkyGuy
The space has been expanded a couple of times since I've been a member, but I think the location dates all the way back to a Piedmont Presidential Suite in the 80's. It still had that decor when I first joined. I agree about the design -- unless they want to go up (like United) or out, I fear they've reached the boundaries of expanding it.

When it was a US Airways Club, for a while, they had a children's room downstairs. That was not a common amenity in US Clubs the way it was at other carriers, so it's appearance really said something.
I too went by the AA Club in Orlando this week, and was thrilled to see it finally opened. (US Airways formerly had this space for their Club, but it closed in 2004 as the result of damage by Hurricane Charley and never reopened). Agreed, it has a similar design upstairs and downstairs, although it felt larger and is nicely decorated; a separate kid's room would be nice. I must have visited at a slow time; around 1pm on Monday when it wasn't too crowded. I'm sure at peak times though it will be packed, especially when summer thunderstorms roll in and delay flights. I did like the self service soda machine with Coke Zero, and though I didn't use it the bar is downstairs. Here are a couple pics I took:Attachment 30177
Attached Images       
Old Apr 6, 2017, 3:02 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum; Marriott Platinum
At JFK now, and was happy to see that the Concourse B Admirals Club reopened this week! It's a gorgeous space - nice large bar area, a kid's room, and good varied seating areas, including privacy chairs and private cubby-hole style work stations (similar to what I've seen in the JFK International First lounge).

Sadly, the club was way overcrowded (we are currently happily and quietly relaxed in the Concourse C club). This is no doubt due in part to all of the IRROPS today. But hopefully once the Flagship Lounge opens, some of the crowding will be alleviated.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 9:12 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, HH Lifetime Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Marrriott Silver, SPG, National Exec Elite
SHort layover in DFW A23 AA Club which is still under renovation. ULtra packed and was lucky to find a seat in the crowded TV room. Got a Coke Zero in the temporary bar down the detour corridors of the club. Will be glad when the club renovations are complete; hope it's a nice improvement.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 12:03 pm

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), A3 Gold (*G), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
Originally Posted by AAEmpireState
But hopefully once the Flagship Lounge opens, some of the crowding will be alleviated.
Sorry if I'm being thick, but I thought the Flagship Lounge had reopened (or International First Class Lounge as it's temporarily being called)?

Last edited by RafKa; Apr 7, 2017 at 12:43 pm
Old Apr 7, 2017, 12:07 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum; Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by RafKa
Sorry if I'm being think, but I thought the Flagship Lounge had reopened (or International First Class Lounge as it's temporarily being called)?
It is partially reopened, but once it's fully relaunched it will have a larger footprint with more seating.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 12:44 pm

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), A3 Gold (*G), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
Originally Posted by AAEmpireState
It is partially reopened, but once it's fully relaunched it will have a larger footprint with more seating.
Got it - as long as the premium F&B is there, that's all that matters on my upcoming 5hrs layover
Old Apr 7, 2017, 9:36 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
The MCO looks exactly as the pictures indicated it would which is nice. Unfortunately I just can't get into the new club image and color palette. I much prefer the LUS and the LAA styles to the new ones. The new ones are just too informal looking for me. LAA at SFO and BOS, and LUS at TPA, PHL F, and even the LUS style immediately prior to the merger such as RDU and PHX B.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 10:38 pm

Originally Posted by cheltzel
That's better than ORD. I've taken the 5:00 AM flight from ORD to MIA and the main H/K club was closed at 4:15 AM (even though it says it opens at 4:00 AM).
I take the 5am ORD-MIA from time to time. Most recently, in November, I was pleasantly surprised to find the H/K club open at 4:15 or so. I don't know if that was good luck or if it can be relied upon.
Old Apr 8, 2017, 8:11 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Flying WN tomorrow but am curious about using the AA MCO lounge. Does anyone know if you can clear security to go the AA lounge with a BP for the other side? I'll have all morning at the airport.
Old Apr 8, 2017, 9:22 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by _kurt
I take the 5am ORD-MIA from time to time. Most recently, in November, I was pleasantly surprised to find the H/K club open at 4:15 or so. I don't know if that was good luck or if it can be relied upon.
I'm glad it worked out for you. But I don't take the 5AM MIA flight often (only 3 or 4 times a year). And was just passing on my experiences. After the lounge wan't open for me, I just stopped trying as I would grab something at the nearby food court and just go to the gate.
Old Apr 8, 2017, 9:29 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Now that Priority Pass has just announced that there is a new The Club at MCO on the A side of the airport (albeit, in the other wing of the A side, i.e. 1-29(, it will be interesting to compare the two. The booze offerings will likely be better at The Club at MCO (based on experiences in The Club at SJC). Have to see about food and crowds.

Cheers.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 12:21 am

Programs: BA executive club, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by Global321
I am sure most people got the email already, but just in case...

We're giving all our FlagshipSM Lounges an updated look, including the 3 we're adding to new cities. Starting in 2017, lounge access will be extended to customers booked in Business and First Class on A321T, Trans-Atlantic, Trans-Pacific and deep South American flights.

Features

More room for you to spread out and relax
New kitchens to bring you more fresh options
Premium beer, wine and spirits
Updated interiors with additional power and privacy options
More staff in each lounge for the highest level of service
Coming soon

Renovations:
Chicago (ORD)
Los Angeles (LAX)
New York (JFK)

New locations:
Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW)
Miami (MIA)
Philadelphia (PHL)

Beginning in early 2017, the FlagshipSM Dining experience will be available in select cities with 3-class service:

Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW)
New York (JFK)
Miami (MIA)
Los Angeles (LAX)
First Class customers on American’s 3-class international and transcontinental flights will have exclusive access to FlagshipSM Dining in 2017.

http://www.aa.com/i18n/airportAndLou...ng-lounges.jsp
1)does anyone know if renovations of the lounges at LAX have been completed? 2) if on LAX-LHR w/only 2 class service, does business class get access to the Flagship lounge at lax?
3)On above LAX-LHR service, do they do pjs in the business service since no actual first class?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.