Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

No Award Seats for Nov 2019 in Business Class to Doha from any US Gateway

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2019, 8:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HH Gold, AA Lifetime Gold, United Silver, BA Gold

I am trying to book 1 Award Seat from any US destination to Doha in Business Class using AA Miles and they are simply blocked out for the whole of November and December. Economy is wide open though. Also, I can get a seat in Business Class all the way up to Oct 31st, but from 1st Nov onwards, everything is 0.
Can someone here tell me if this is the norm and Qatar Airways does not open any Business Class seats in Awards category for November/December? OR
Do I need to wait a little more for the award availability to open?
It's hard to imagine that all Seats are already taken almost 10 months in advance while Sep/Oct is still available.

Any insight into this based on past experience is greatly appreciated.
ajpanah likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by DFWsakp
It's hard to imagine that all Seats are already taken almost 10 months in advance while Sep/Oct is still available.
I think that QR may release award seats differently from many airlines. For example, in 2018, I couldn't get seats over the Christmas/New Year's holidays when I tried nine months in advance. But when I tried in the beginning of October, I got BKK-DOH-BOS for December 21, and IAD-DOH-BKK for January 2, 2019. So unlike other carriers which always release some seats 11 months out, maybe QR holds some seats until closer to fly date to see what they can sell. Too, November and December are heavier travel months for U.S. routes with Thanksgiving and Christmas/New Year's.

Just one data point and just one theory, FWIW.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 2:53 pm

I suspect that QR awards for USA-DOH are available for booking with QMiles, but not partner miles. Multiple OW members are going that route. You won't be able to book CX for USA-HKG for Dec 2019 either.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 2:03 am

Programs: Qantas Plat
Qatar didn’t open up for me in December from Australia and I was certainly checking for it in advance.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 8:48 am

Programs: AA, UAL, Starwoods
I guess I was lucky as I was able to book 2 business seats from ORD -DOH-SIN on December 1, 2019 to DOH and December 2, 2019 to SIN using AA miles. I booked them on the first day they were available on AA.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 10:22 am

Programs: AA Lifetime GLD, SPG Lifetime GLD
I don't know if normal or not -- but my experience was that I booked Sept 2019 flights (DFW-DOH-DPS) right at the 11 month mark via AA phone agent back in Oct `18. I only searched for one seat as that is all I needed. i could see the award availability via sites like awardnexus, but I had to wait until AA could see them since I was using AA miles
Old Jan 26, 2019, 2:58 am

Originally Posted by Bigmamma
I guess I was lucky as I was able to book 2 business seats from ORD -DOH-SIN on December 1, 2019 to DOH and December 2, 2019 to SIN using AA miles. I booked them on the first day they were available on AA.
Singapore has three flights a day so availability is better. I booked two in J a couple of days ago. But coming into Australia Qatar seem to have stopped releasing them.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 2:58 am

Originally Posted by Bigmamma
Singapore has three flights a day so availability is better. I booked two in J a couple of days ago. But coming into Australia Qatar seem to have stopped releasing them.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 9:54 pm

I am trying to book 1 Award Seat from any US destination to Doha in Business Class using AA Miles and they are simply blocked out for the whole of November and December. Economy is wide open though. Also, I can get a seat in Business Class all the way up to Oct 31st, but from 1st Nov onwards, everything is 0.
Can someone here tell me if this is the norm and Qatar Airways does not open any Business Class seats in Awards category for November/December? OR
Do I need to wait a little more for the award availability to open?

Any insight into this based on past experience is greatly appreciated.
I cant find anything either. I am trying to connect thru Doha to the Middle East and any US Gateway I put it is simply nonexistent. There are tons of economy seats but I worked hard this past year to travel in biz. Is it possible if I book an award travel ticket in economy that I can later upgrade to business?
This is beyond frustrating!!!!!
Old Feb 8, 2019, 8:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HH Gold, AA Lifetime Gold, United Silver, BA Gold
Originally Posted by ajpanah
I cant find anything either. I am trying to connect thru Doha to the Middle East and any US Gateway I put it is simply nonexistent. There are tons of economy seats but I worked hard this past year to travel in biz. Is it possible if I book an award travel ticket in economy that I can later upgrade to business?
This is beyond frustrating!!!!!
Yes You can. But, then you will need to pay AA $150 to upgrade the ticket. AA does not allow free upgrades.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 11:16 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Yes You can. But, then you will need to pay AA $150 to upgrade the ticket. AA does not allow free upgrades.
This is false. Changing an award to a higher class of service, without modifying the origin or destination, can be done with no fee.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 11:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Beltway2A
This is false. Changing an award to a higher class of service, without modifying the origin or destination, can be done with no fee.
You are absolutely wrong. This has changed recently by AA. Please read the latest terms and conditions before stating something to be false as these change more often than you think.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 2:13 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
You are absolutely wrong. This has changed recently by AA. Please read the latest terms and conditions before stating something to be false as these change more often than you think.
It has not changed. An award with the same origin, destination and airline will have the redeposit fee waived if upgrading the class of service. Feel free to refer to: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...el-etc-11.html if you have any further questions.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 5:09 pm

Not seeing any award seats in July 2019 either? Although it's peak travel season, it seems unlikely that I'm not seeing at least one seat.

Last edited by iluvdoco; Feb 15, 2019 at 5:16 pm
Old Feb 16, 2019, 6:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Beltway2A
It has not changed. An award with the same origin, destination and airline will have the redeposit fee waived if upgrading the class of service. Feel free to refer to: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...el-etc-11.html if you have any further questions.
You are quoting another thread/wiki as proof ? :-)
Anyways, here is the real and correct information from the AA Website (This wording has changed recently. In the past, there was no fee associated with upgrading)
https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...ard-travel.jsp
Check the section: Changing Flight and Upgrade AwardsChanges that require a different award type
  • Changes to the itinerary which involve different AAdvantage awards than originally ticketed require a reinstatement of the original award ticket, payment of the applicable award reinstatement fee, and a new award ticket issued
  • The award reinstatement fee will be waived for Executive Platinum members using miles from their account
I hope this post will put to rest what is the CORRECT information with regards to upgrading an Award Ticket from Economy to Business

Last edited by DFWsakp; Feb 16, 2019 at 6:03 pm Reason: add more info

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.