FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   refund on expensive ticket (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1952254-refund-expensive-ticket.html)

jim21774 Jan 21, 2019 2:33 pm

refund on expensive ticket

Can I get a refund if the price of my tickets (10 of them) dropped?

Science Goy Jan 21, 2019 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by jim21774 (Post 30683015)
Can I get a refund if the price of my tickets (10 of them) dropped?

Nobody can answer this without knowing the fare rules of your tickets. Why not call AA and ask?

UKtravelbear Jan 21, 2019 2:40 pm

If you found this out within 24 hours of booking then you can cancel and ask for a refund then rebook at the lower price.

MSPeconomist Jan 21, 2019 2:42 pm

If it's beyond 24 hours, I would want to examine the fare rules before calling. Agents can be wrong and can decide to just make up stuff to end the call quickly.

BTW, how big was the fare drop?

Also, if it's ten tickets, these probably were booked as a group (9 is the max on a normal PNR), which would further complicate the situation. In fact, you can't even see fare class availability for more than 9 tickets.

Did you use a travel agent or OLTA?

FlyerWx Jan 21, 2019 2:42 pm

I'm sure many of us would appreciate more information, but you can cancel most tickets tickets and you should get the value back minus the cancellation fee (as stipulated in the fare rules of your ticket).

Airlines usually don't give a "fare drop" refund though. You just have to wait for if/when cancelling and repurchasing at the new rate actually saves you money.

IADCAflyer Jan 21, 2019 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by FlyerWx (Post 30683050)
I'm sure many of us would appreciate more information, but you can cancel most tickets tickets and you should get the value back minus the cancellation fee (as stipulated in the fare rules of your ticket).

Airlines usually don't give a "fare drop" refund though. You just have to wait for if/when cancelling and repurchasing at the new rate actually saves you money.

They used to.

JDiver Jan 21, 2019 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by IADCAflyer (Post 30683134)
They used to.

They used to do a lot of things (free baggage, DEQM promos, easy to find awards, book VIPs into confirmed upgraded cabins... but I remember $0.25 a gallon gasoline, too, and I’m not finding that, either. ;)

AA is happy to issue new tickets at the lower price, as long as you pay the change fees stipulated in your detailed fare rules (which unfortunately, many don’t bother reading). So: “I can save $153 per ticket for four tickets” may be accompanied by “you must pay $200 - or more - per ticket to change it per your fare rules” and you’re actually out $188 net.

The OP isn’t going to get much direction prior to checking the detailed fare rules.

carlosnunez.dfw Jan 21, 2019 4:28 pm

Some credit cards offer price drop protection. Look into this if you’ve booked with a CC.

ashill Jan 21, 2019 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by Science Goy (Post 30683028)
Nobody can answer this without knowing the fare rules of your tickets. Why not call AA and ask?

If the OP bought the cheapest fare available on a given flight and it wasn't fairly last minute (as is I think a reasonable default assumption), the odds are very good that the answer to the OP's question is simply "no". Southwest Airlines effectively allows this and Alaska Airlines did until a few months ago, but otherwise US airlines generally don't on most fares; the OP will have to pay the change fee (in cash, I believe, ie not as a value extracted from the fare difference) to get a credit for the fare difference.

If the OP bought a refundable fare, of course there is generally no change fee. And of course the fare rules give the answer with certainty.

ebuck Jan 22, 2019 8:40 am

Originally Posted by carlosnunez.dfw (Post 30683447)
Some credit cards offer price drop protection. Look into this if you’ve booked with a CC.

Curious to know which credit cards offer price protection on airfare. I've never seen this as a CC benefit and would be interested in knowing which card(s) offers this!

Science Goy Jan 22, 2019 8:44 am

Originally Posted by ebuck (Post 30685985)
Curious to know which credit cards offer price protection on airfare. I've never seen this as a CC benefit and would be interested in knowing which card(s) offers this!

I've seen credit cards offer this for certain product purchases, but (for good reason) they usually explicitly exclude travel and other services.

reeg2 Jan 22, 2019 8:45 am

Depending on change fees, if price is low enough, dump 'em, re-book and eat the change fees.

mvoight Jan 22, 2019 9:17 am

Originally Posted by carlosnunez.dfw (Post 30683447)

Which credit card offers price protection on airfares?
That would seem to be an expensive proposition

donotblink Jan 22, 2019 9:51 am

Originally Posted by mvoight (Post 30686140)
Which credit card offers price protection on airfares?
That would seem to be an expensive proposition

This probably doesn’t help the OP or directly answer your question, but Amex Platinum travel effectively offers this for a $39 fee per ticket for some reservations.

MSPeconomist Jan 22, 2019 9:58 am

Originally Posted by reeg2 (Post 30686006)
Depending on change fees, if price is low enough, dump 'em, re-book and eat the change fees.

OP also shouldn't expect certain other fees to be refunded, such as fees to reserve seats or upgrade fees if applicable. These normally wouldn't transfer over to the new tickets, even if the itinerary is identical.