refund on expensive ticket

Old Jan 21, 2019, 2:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage
refund on expensive ticket

Can I get a refund if the price of my tickets (10 of them) dropped?
Old Jan 21, 2019, 2:36 pm

Programs: WN A-List, AA good-riddance, Safeway Club Card Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by jim21774
Can I get a refund if the price of my tickets (10 of them) dropped?
Nobody can answer this without knowing the fare rules of your tickets. Why not call AA and ask?
Old Jan 21, 2019, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
If you found this out within 24 hours of booking then you can cancel and ask for a refund then rebook at the lower price.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 2:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If it's beyond 24 hours, I would want to examine the fare rules before calling. Agents can be wrong and can decide to just make up stuff to end the call quickly.

BTW, how big was the fare drop?

Also, if it's ten tickets, these probably were booked as a group (9 is the max on a normal PNR), which would further complicate the situation. In fact, you can't even see fare class availability for more than 9 tickets.

Did you use a travel agent or OLTA?
Old Jan 21, 2019, 2:42 pm

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
I'm sure many of us would appreciate more information, but you can cancel most tickets tickets and you should get the value back minus the cancellation fee (as stipulated in the fare rules of your ticket).

Airlines usually don't give a "fare drop" refund though. You just have to wait for if/when cancelling and repurchasing at the new rate actually saves you money.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 3:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by FlyerWx
I'm sure many of us would appreciate more information, but you can cancel most tickets tickets and you should get the value back minus the cancellation fee (as stipulated in the fare rules of your ticket).

Airlines usually don't give a "fare drop" refund though. You just have to wait for if/when cancelling and repurchasing at the new rate actually saves you money.
They used to.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 3:45 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
They used to.
They used to do a lot of things (free baggage, DEQM promos, easy to find awards, book VIPs into confirmed upgraded cabins... but I remember $0.25 a gallon gasoline, too, and Im not finding that, either.

AA is happy to issue new tickets at the lower price, as long as you pay the change fees stipulated in your detailed fare rules (which unfortunately, many dont bother reading). So: I can save $153 per ticket for four tickets may be accompanied by you must pay $200 - or more - per ticket to change it per your fare rules and youre actually out $188 net.

The OP isnt going to get much direction prior to checking the detailed fare rules.
wrp96, Antarius and Beltway2A like this.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 4:28 pm

Some credit cards offer price drop protection. Look into this if youve booked with a CC.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 4:28 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by Science Goy
Nobody can answer this without knowing the fare rules of your tickets. Why not call AA and ask?
If the OP bought the cheapest fare available on a given flight and it wasn't fairly last minute (as is I think a reasonable default assumption), the odds are very good that the answer to the OP's question is simply "no". Southwest Airlines effectively allows this and Alaska Airlines did until a few months ago, but otherwise US airlines generally don't on most fares; the OP will have to pay the change fee (in cash, I believe, ie not as a value extracted from the fare difference) to get a credit for the fare difference.

If the OP bought a refundable fare, of course there is generally no change fee. And of course the fare rules give the answer with certainty.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 8:40 am

Originally Posted by carlosnunez.dfw
Some credit cards offer price drop protection. Look into this if youve booked with a CC.
Curious to know which credit cards offer price protection on airfare. I've never seen this as a CC benefit and would be interested in knowing which card(s) offers this!
Old Jan 22, 2019, 8:44 am

Programs: WN A-List, AA good-riddance, Safeway Club Card Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by ebuck
Curious to know which credit cards offer price protection on airfare. I've never seen this as a CC benefit and would be interested in knowing which card(s) offers this!
I've seen credit cards offer this for certain product purchases, but (for good reason) they usually explicitly exclude travel and other services.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 8:45 am

Programs: AA EXP - Marriott LT Platinum - National Exec Elite
Depending on change fees, if price is low enough, dump 'em, re-book and eat the change fees.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by carlosnunez.dfw
Which credit card offers price protection on airfares?
That would seem to be an expensive proposition
Old Jan 22, 2019, 9:51 am

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by mvoight
Which credit card offers price protection on airfares?
That would seem to be an expensive proposition
This probably doesnt help the OP or directly answer your question, but Amex Platinum travel effectively offers this for a $39 fee per ticket for some reservations.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 9:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by reeg2
Depending on change fees, if price is low enough, dump 'em, re-book and eat the change fees.
OP also shouldn't expect certain other fees to be refunded, such as fees to reserve seats or upgrade fees if applicable. These normally wouldn't transfer over to the new tickets, even if the itinerary is identical.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.