Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA Broke my passport

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2019, 5:13 pm

AA is obviously liable. For them to deny liability seems to be to acting in bad faith. I don't know if you could get punitive damages.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 330West
Not to sound overly dismissive of your problem but I'd suggest just paying for the flight and moving on with your life. You'll probably spend more time fighting AA than it's worth. Assuming you travel early next week a same day roundtrip can be had for under $300.
This is the problem. AA doesn't pay what they are supposed to pay because getting them to pay for it is a nuisance.

I would not let them off the hook so easily.
ashill and seigex like this.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
You have US Senators (2) and a House Rep as well as a state rep and state senator and I think a secretary of state (or other office holder) responsible for consumer issues.

All of whom have constituent services staff.

contact all of them. AA caused you damage and they should make you whole. That is all you are asking for.

AA are behaving appallingly and need to be held to account
Old Jan 18, 2019, 8:29 pm

Programs: A: PP, LTG/1.5M | UA: SLV | Bonvoy LTTi | IHG PLT| Avis PC | Nat'l Emerald Club EE
Originally Posted by Antarius
I'm amazed they ripped a passport page. Trying to envision this happening, but not sure how they pulled that off.
Originally Posted by zeebanker
Snagged on the reader and the person handling the pp used force to unsnag it? Not inconceivable.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

OP—the situation sucks, but if up against pending international travel it might be best to do the trip on your own with money/miles and pursue AA later. Hope it works out for you either way.

Safe travels
Old Jan 18, 2019, 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
You have US Senators (2) and a House Rep as well as a state rep and state senator and I think a secretary of state (or other office holder) responsible for consumer issues.
Would they care given OP is an Argentina citizen?
ijgordon, FAA1996 and jerry305 like this.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 9:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by s0ssos
Would they care given OP is an Argentina citizen?
Even if OP was a US citizen no congresscritter would give a hoot about this.

IMO the OP is due payment to make them whole, no punitive damages as someone mentioned as this was clearly an accident, and as such I'd do as JDiver mentioned and write them a letter detailing the reasonable out of pocket costs you incurred with documentation and request they reimburse you; if they decline then take them to SCC.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 12:55 am

Programs: BA Silver/ows, CX AsiaMiles (not even GR anymore!) missing my GO days
Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
If an employee manages to destroy a passport, especially one that is brand now, my question would be more if there isn't any serious defect with it.

I mean, I basically use my passport heavily, in pockets, squeezed with passport, coins, keys, thrown around, massive changes in temperatures and humidity.. and it still looks quite good after 6+ years. Old one (my country didn't changed the specs) survived it's years of duty too, similarely treated (no silly passport covers for me, thank you very much)

And I can assure you it was heavily used. Hundreds of immigrations and travels, lots of opening up's to get my personal data (till I eventually knew it.. and then it was time for a fresh passport..) - no serious damage. Sure, heavy use did leave a few marks on it.

But a bio page that's ripped off?

Either you had Hulk as checkin agent, or basically your passport was defective from start. I'd tell the consulate about it and ask for a new one for free. A bit of a mistreatment at checkin is NOT something that should break a passport.
I can totally believe this happened because something similar almost happened to my partner. In that case it was a BA agent who nearly ripped the bio page repeatedly trying to run his through the reader. Fortunately we saw what was happening and spoke up before she could do any real damage. It's a particular danger now that the bio page isn't printed on the inside cover of the passport. In theory they can swipe the bio page and the hard cover together for more stability but a lot of them try to run only the page itself.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 1:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
This sounds like the sort of situation that might interest Chris Elliott.
JMorgana likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 1:36 am
C46

That's why I love the swedish passports; having a solid, polycarbonate biodata page.
Luckily, other countries (e.g. Germany, Ireland) started copying it.
percysmith likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 6:35 am

Hopefully the customer relations person will reply to you. Surely there must be a flight heading out with an open seat at some point.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 8:27 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by kaydee7
Hopefully the customer relations person will reply to you. Surely there must be a flight heading out with an open seat at some point.
Oh, I'm sure there are empty seats (occasionally) between LAX and SFO. That isn't the issue really. The issue is that MegaCorps don't really know how to handle that and just make it happen. These large, legacy companies have very rigid, defined playbooks and springs sort of pop out of their heads when a situation that doesn't neatly fit into the playbook emerges. They just become paralyzed and continually point to the "terms and conditions" in a recursive loop. Companies like AA, sadly, generally don't empower front line employees to just "do the right thing" for the customer anymore. They used to have some of that power years ago, but these days everything has been automated/standardized.

This is a disappointing situation for sure. Luckily for me, I'd just deal with it myself and move on (financially, I can do that), but I certainly understand and sympathize that, for many, an unexpected/unnecessary $500 expense is a pretty big deal. But honestly, I value my time in a manner that pursuing AA via SCC, for this level of money would just not be on my "to do" list.

Regards
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 9:16 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
1. I do not see any elected official becoming involved in a matter where litigation is likely, or even possible. Most especially a non-national regarding an issue dealing with a non-US issue, e.g. how Argentina chooses to issue its passports. I also do not see DOT becoming involved. The reason is simple. This is what small claims courts are for.

2. OP really does need to submit a budget for his trip, in writing, to AA and to back up the airfare issue with the documentation showing that he must make a personal appearance at the Argentinian Consulate in Los Angeles. Make the budget simple, clear and reasonable. Do not draw comparisons to other issues because analogies never work. Make what you submit something you would be pleased to have a judge read if you did have to sue and a judge really did read it.

This is not a broken suitcase and it is not a delayed flight. It is simply an item belonging to (or at least entrusted to) OP which is damaged and the cost of repairing that damage involves an in-personal appearance.

3. I doubt that OP will lose a SCC case even if AA were to take it to trial.

4. However, as a non-US national apparently residing in the US, I would not wait around to get the passport issue taken care of. Better way to look at is to ask what OP would do if AA refused to pay anything and was not ordered to do so? Given that OP will have to replace his passport whether or not he is reimbursed, better to get this taken care of ASAP and to hope that this is resolved by AA internally and, if not, in court.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 9:40 am
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by erickfuks
I have considered couriering the document and the forms. I certainly do NOT want to fly to Los Angeles for a few hours to do this, but unfortunately renewals can only be processed in person, as they have to take my fingerprints. I confirmed this with the corresponding authorities in Argentina, where I'm from.

The passport was brand new, recently renewed 2 months ago, ...
Argentina considers this a “renewal”? Did they not take your fingerprints two months ago, or do they do it each time?
Old Jan 19, 2019, 7:38 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by freeagent
Assuming your a German Citizen there is a German Consulate in SF on Jackson Street. If not a German Citizen several countries have a consulate I SF.
Since he said he's from Argentina, a bad assumption.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 8:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
Can AA offer you a ticket on their own SFO-LAX flight, back and forth the same day so its clear that you are there just for the passport problem? In other words, they pay for new passport, offer a seat on their own airline, and maybe a travel voucher for general compensation. In turn, the original poster would cover all other incidentals.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.