Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Lifetime Status / Million Miler program - discussion, speculation (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 15, 2015, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Future of AA / US Lifetime Status / Million Miler program (consolidated)

Until the new (and current) Million Miler program was launched December 2011, any miles from all sources (all redeemable miles) counted as Million Miler miles. Lifetime status granted was the same as today: Gold at 1,000,000 miles ever earned, and Platinum at 2,000,000 lifetime miles ever earned; no lifetime top tier (EP / EXP) status was, or is, offered. Further million miles thresholds earn 4 SWUs.

The current Million Miler program "grandfathered" existing MM counts because until now there existed no way to differentiate miles for MM count. With the announcement of the new program, AA announced only Base / Elite-Qualifying Miles would count and be added to one's Million Mile counter.

AAdvantage® Million MilerSM program recognizes and rewards AAdvantage members when Million Miler thresholds are achieved. Base miles earned by flying on American Airlines, American Eagle® or any eligible AAdvantage program participating airline will count toward Million Miler status.

AAdvantage members will enjoy the following benefits when Million Miler status is reached:

At one million (1,000,000) Million Miler miles, AAdvantage members will receive lifetime AAdvantage Gold status and 35,000 AAdvantage bonus miles*

At two million (2,000,000) Million Miler miles, AAdvantage members will receive lifetime AAdvantage Platinum status and four one-way systemwide upgrades

At each additional Million Miler mark, AAdvantage members will receive four additional one-way systemwide upgrades

For all members, your beginning Million Miler balance will include every AAdvantage mile you ever earned in the program. This Program to Date balance is currently reflected in your AAdvantage account on aa.com. Million Miler activity will be displayed in your AAdvantage account on aa.com separately from award miles so progress toward reaching this special designation can be easily tracked.

It's a special honor to be recognized with Million Miler status - and it is our distinct pleasure to reward such loyalty.

US has had a lifetime status / million mile program, and it counts PQM.

The greatest likelihood is current million miler counts will be merged, and that there is no way to "beat the system" by trying to inflate Redeemable miles counts in AA or US accounts; they both differentiate the kinds of miles, and no indication the Million Miler program will include lifetime Redeemable miles counts when USDM accounts are brought over and merged into AAdvantage (nor has anyone who has already caused an account merger stated to the contrary).

In the second quarter of 2015, we’ll combine your million mile balances (if you have both a Dividend Miles and AAdvantage® account) or transfer your million mile balance to the AAdvantage program.

AAdvantage Million Miler program:
http://www.aa.com/i18n/utility/millionMiler.jsp

Delta's comparable program (no lifetime top tier status):http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...er-status.html

United's comparable program (lifetime top tier status granted):
http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont.../lifetime.aspx
Print Wikipost

AA Lifetime Status / Million Miler program - discussion, speculation (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2019, 2:11 pm

Programs: HH LTD, AA LTG
All you should ever need for lounge access for INT travel is your boarding pass stamped with PLT which it always will since you have 2 MM.

I received 2 luggage tags the year I crossed 1 MM, and my most recent card that I received indicates PLT and 1 MM. But neither the tags nor card have the word lifetime on them anywhere. They both just say PLT and 1 MM.

When I dropped down to Gold status, I received a new card that indicated Gold status and 1 MM, but again no mention of the word LT on it..

Last edited by isle-hawg; Jan 18, 2019 at 2:19 pm
Old Jan 18, 2019, 6:54 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT - 2.9MM, Lifetime AC, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Hertz Precs Crcl
Originally Posted by isle-hawg
...When I dropped down to Gold status, I received a new card that indicated Gold status and 1 MM, but again no mention of the word LT on it..
Point is, does that card have an expiration date on it? I suspect not, based on other posts.
(As I still have a status higher than my LT status, I can't state from personal experience.)
Old Jan 18, 2019, 7:15 pm

Programs: American Life Time 2 Million Mile Platinum
What does one of these cards cost, $5 maybe?

Instead of sending me 10 AA credit card applications a year, after 2 million miles, they can't afford to send me a stinking $5 card once a year.

"card, you don't need no stinking card!" CEO American Airlines
Old Jan 18, 2019, 8:26 pm

Programs: AA Life Plat 4mm, Hilton Diamond
I think they send out a new card after every new million miles. Pretty sure I was at 2 when Lifetime was established; had old cards that said 2m, 3m and the one I carry now says 4 million - luggage tags simply say multi million.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 9:40 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT - 2.9MM, Lifetime AC, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Hertz Precs Crcl
Originally Posted by kmandrew
I think they send out a new card after every new million miles. Pretty sure I was at 2 when Lifetime was established; had old cards that said 2m, 3m and the one I carry now says 4 million - luggage tags simply say multi million.
True enough. I BELIVE the question was if Lifetime status member received new/any cards when falling from a higher status - OR annually. And that was what I answered above.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 7:56 am

Programs: HH LTD, AA LTG
Originally Posted by Madison Guy
Point is, does that card have an expiration date on it? I suspect not, based on other posts.
(As I still have a status higher than my LT status, I can't state from personal experience.)
I have my PLT 1 MM card in front of me now. Printed clearly on the bottom it expires 1/31/20
Old Jan 19, 2019, 8:20 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond for Life
I have my PLT 1 MM card in front of me now. Printed clearly on the bottom it expires 1/31/20
because your Platinum status expires on that date... not your LT Gold.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 8:32 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
I have had a new 2 MM card every year since qualifying.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 10:16 am

Programs: American Life Time 2 Million Mile Platinum
Originally Posted by Markie
I have had a new 2 MM card every year since qualifying.
Do you have any insight as to why you are being treated differently than the rest of us?
Old Jan 19, 2019, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

All you should ever need for lounge access for INT travel is your boarding pass stamped with PLT which it always will since you have 2 MM.
No, not always. When AA rebooked me at the last minute on BA TATL last year because my first AA flight on my original AA->AA itinerary was delayed too much for MCT to my flight onward across the pond, they rebooked it somehow in a way that my status didn't appear on the BA boarding passes. I had to "prove" I was PLT to get it put back on my boarding pass, and the LT PLT card was the easiest way to do it. (Though in that case I also had the AA printout of my BA itinerary which I think could have done it also probably.)

There's also the issue that if you're trying to earn OW partner miles instead of AA miles, then your AA status may not show on the boarding pass (because your AA number is not showing on your boarding pass), and you need some other way to prove your OW status to that partner, and what other way than by flashing your card in that case?
Old Aug 21, 2019, 5:03 am

Programs: UA Plat, 2MM
Do Code Share Earn Lifetime Miles ?

I am booking a flight on the AA website, but the flight is operated by BA. It is a code share flight. Will I received the AA Lifetime Miles?
Old Aug 21, 2019, 5:42 am

Programs: OW Emerald
Originally Posted by TonyBurr
I am booking a flight on the AA website, but the flight is operated by BA. It is a code share flight. Will I received the AA Lifetime Miles?
If it has an AA flight number, in this case it will earn miles as if it was operated by AA.
JDiver likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 5:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Yes it counts for million mile counter.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 6:39 am

Programs: AA EXP, 2 Million Miler
Originally Posted by TonyBurr
Yes, you will even earns Million Miles when you book on a OW partner's site and put in you AAdvantage # as where you want your trip to be awarded the mileage benefits.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 7:59 am
VFR

Programs: AA PP, DL PM
Notably, flights on AA codes always earn based on flight distance for Million Miler qualification, but flights on partners earn based on the base miles multiplier from that partner's earning chart, which is sometimes less than 100% but is never more than 100%.

For example, if you fly BOS-LHR on BA 238 in a G fare class, you'll earn 25% of miles flown for million miler qualification, but if you buy the codeshare for that flight AA 6175 in any fare class you will earn 100% of miles flown for million miler qualification.

A (small) consideration when you have a choice of marketing airlines.
JDiver and lsquare like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.