Wiki Posts
Search

Flight delayed due to crew rest?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2018, 5:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US CP, UA *G; SPG Plat, Hilton Gold; Natl Exec, Hertz PC
Flight delayed due to crew rest?

Is it safe to trust a delay due to crew rest? I'm on aa126 on 1/1 and the 1:45 delay until 5:30pm means I would try to leave HKG instead of hanging out in the lounge.

3HKG/ETD1730 CRR-DELAY DUE TO CREW REST REQUIREMENTS *0452
2DFW/PRE1750 *0452

Can I assume this is caused by aa125 arriving about 8 hours late at 1:30am local time on 12/31? Is the scheduled 40 hours not enough rest time? AA won't be able to magically find another crew and have this flight leave closer to the scheduled time, right?

Last edited by flightrisk; Dec 30, 2018 at 6:00 pm
Old Dec 30, 2018, 6:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Are you prepared to risk a "no show?" I would call AA closer in and determine how solid that delay is. If you cannot obtain confirmation, AA's rules are clear and there are multiple rants on FT from people who have been left behind because AA has located crew.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 7:05 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, I obviously wouldn’t risk this at an AA hub, but the crew pretty much has to have come from the LAX or DFW flights to be in HKG right? I know the crew normally has a 2 day turnaround but I’m surprised that 40 hours isn’t enough in the case of a prior delay, unless they are getting additional rest for New Years.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by flightrisk
the 1:45 delay until 5:30pm means I would try to leave HKG instead of hanging out in the lounge.
Can I infer from this that you're connecting/will already be in the airport and instead of wainting in the lounge there, you're going to leave the airport property?

If so, no, I can't imagine was I would do with >2 hours leaving an airport property to make up for possibly missing my flight.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 8:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I doubt that 40 hours crew rest is due to a government regulation, but it might be some union requirement. Based on what we know, I wouldn't assume anything at this point. YMMV.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 9:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I doubt that 40 hours crew rest is due to a government regulation, but it might be some union requirement. Based on what we know, I wouldn't assume anything at this point. YMMV.
I doubt there is a union requirement of a 40 hour rest period, is there?
Old Dec 30, 2018, 10:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CPRich
Can I infer from this that you're connecting/will already be in the airport and instead of wainting in the lounge there, you're going to leave the airport property?

If so, no, I can't imagine was I would do with >2 hours leaving an airport property to make up for possibly missing my flight.
Yes, I had a scheduled 5 hour layover and the delay pushes it to 7 hours. I wouldn’t bother with the scheduled layover to leave the airport but the 2 extra hours is like an extra safety cushion.

It looks like the inbound aircraft was changed from the 12/29 departure of aa193 lax-hkg (which was diverted back to lax and delayed 20 hours and just took off on 12/30) to the “original” 12/30 departure which is scheduled to leave shortly and arrive in hkg at 7:25 on 1/1. So if we also get the same crew, the delayed departure to aa126 would give the crew a 10 hour turnaround.

Long story short... still don’t know if I can trust the delay since there is no way to know if Aa is shuffling their crew in HKG, but it sounds like no one thinks it’s worth the gamble. I guess I should leave the airport only if I am sure to be back by the original departure time, which doesn’t seem impossible.

Last edited by flightrisk; Dec 30, 2018 at 10:34 pm
Old Dec 30, 2018, 10:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mvoight
I doubt there is a union requirement of a 40 hour rest period, is there?
Yeah I think there probably isn’t. I was assuming the dfw-hkg crew would return hkg-dfw since that’s what the FAs mentioned when I talked with them, but since both dfw-hkg and lax-hkg were having issues, AA can probably swap their routes just like they swapped the aircrafts.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 10:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Bonvoy Ambassador, Hertz PC
With 5 hours guaranteed and 7 likely, I'd totally go for it. Hong Kong is great, even if you only get a few hours of it.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 11:43 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
The OP could always take advantage of the flat tire rule too.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 1:54 am
C46

...and one day FT-members will complain, that the flat tire-rule was scrapped, because pax tried to take advantage of it!
Old Dec 31, 2018, 2:38 am

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by C46
...and one day FT-members will complain, that the flat tire-rule was scrapped, because pax tried to take advantage of it!
hey—this would seem like a legitimate use of the flat tire rule to me—the airline posted a delay but then took off on time and the OP relied on the airlines bad delay notification.
E55 and HLCinCOU like this.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 9:36 am

As great as HK is I think this is a really bad idea unless this swing through HK is a once in a life kind of situation.
E55 likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 9:54 am

Programs: AA EXP - Marriott LT Platinum - National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by donotblink
hey—this would seem like a legitimate use of the flat tire rule to me—the airline posted a delay but then took off on time and the OP relied on the airlines bad delay notification.
Actually, no. This isn't even remotely related to having an issue that prevented OP from making a flight.

It'd just be a lie - there's no need for ethical gymnastics. Either OP risks a new crew being located, or brought in, or they talk to AA and get more information.
C46 likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 10:18 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
I haven't looks at the specifics of this flight or schedule but general comments...

There is no 40-hr rest requirement but there is a 30-hour requirement. 30-hours free from duty within the past 168 hours measured at the start of a flight duty period.

The other consideration for a long haul flight like this is the duty day limitation which is based on the number of legs and the report time in the acclimatized theater. They may be delaying the start of the flight duty period until it is within the window which allows a longer flight duty period which is needed for the long haul flight.

With the (relatively) new 14 CFR 117 flight and duty limitation rules, at least for pilots, we all pretty much fly to the regulation. There are very few additional restrictions added by the union contracts as 14 CFR 117 is, in most cases, more restrictive.

Another thought, though it wouldn't apply to this flight, is that once the crew rest delay is covered, they might not be able to depart on a long-haul flight due to noise curfews or based on the time that immigrations opens at the destination airport. i.e. can't arrive at 3am if immigration opens at 6am.
JDiver, flightrisk, TWA884 and 1 others like this.

Last edited by LarryJ; Dec 31, 2018 at 10:24 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.