Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Avoiding the 75K Mileage Cap

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2018, 4:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, Delta PM, *wood Ambassador Plat, Marriott Self-Imposed Exile
Avoiding the 75K Mileage Cap

Planning BOS:LHR in Early Feb and the Biz Class tickets are about $9000 on either AA or BA. how do I get around the 75K mileage cap? I looked at booking one way tickets but the one ticket looks to be the same price as round trip?
Old Dec 28, 2018, 4:35 am

Originally Posted by boston aa flyer
Planning BOS:LHR in Early Feb and the Biz Class tickets are about $9000 on either AA or BA. how do I get around the 75K mileage cap? I looked at booking one way tickets but the one ticket looks to be the same price as round trip?
There's no way around. Sometimes purchasing one-way tickets isn't much more than the r/t, but since you already looked at that option, you'll be stuck with the 75k cap.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 5:38 am

Programs: AA EXP
Unfortunately you can't get around it to the best of my knowledge. Unlike domestically where 2 one-ways is the same price as a RT, one-ways to/from LHR tend to be the same price as RT. It's crazy that EPs are essentially restricted to spending $6800 on a ticket to hit the mileage cap, but general AAdvantage members can spend $15k.
lbbzman likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 6:52 am

Location: AA EXP & Life Plat; AA 4MM; TWA Life Plat; HH Diamond
Should you happen to want to change your return flight after your outbound flight to a later or earlier flight or different routing (assuming the fare code allows free changes), often times an exchange will be performed resulting in a new ticket number...ymmv.
Cellisvae, Air Houston and lbbzman like this.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Forget about booking one-ways, if it were me I'd book 2 separate roundtrip PNRs with the dates nested as such to work.

PNR 1: BOS-LHR on your desired outbound date, LHR-BOS at a date months out in the future when you might want to go back to London (or whereever in Europe). Book the LHR-BOS segment in economy or PE if necessary.
PNR 2: LHR-BOS on your desired return date, BOS-LHR on a date to coincide with the LHR-BOS segment above.

Playing around with a few random dates in February I easily found ~$4500 for BOS-LHR-BOS (BOS-LHR in business, LHR-BOS in PE on a random date in April), plus ~$2800 for LHR-BOS-LHR (all in business with the dates lined up to match).
Old Dec 28, 2018, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Finsup72
Unfortunately you can't get around it to the best of my knowledge. Unlike domestically where 2 one-ways is the same price as a RT, one-ways to/from LHR tend to be the same price as RT. It's crazy that EPs are essentially restricted to spending $6800 on a ticket to hit the mileage cap, but general AAdvantage members can spend $15k.
You are overgeneralizing domestically. There are still a fair number of domestic markets where the legacy carriers still have cheaper fares with roundtrip/min-stay booking requirements. These are generally to/from smaller markets where there is little or no LCC competition.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 9:31 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
I would fly PE, take the savings, and buy the miles, especially with the bonus program going on.. $4425 gets you 270,000 miles (promo ends Jan 6). After all this, you would still pocket around $3000.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 10:08 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by teemuflyer
I would fly PE, take the savings, and buy the miles, especially with the bonus program going on.. $4425 gets you 270,000 miles (promo ends Jan 6). After all this, you would still pocket around $3000.
I might do as you say, and fly the daytime BA flight outbound in World Traveller Plus.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by JDiver
I might do as you say, and fly the daytime BA flight outbound in World Traveller Plus.
If OP is traveling for work, all of these workarounds may not work. A corp. travel agency may not book 2 nested tickets (for any reason, including that perhaps the OP isn't 'authorized' for 2 trips). And then, at most companies, the traveler can't pocket the savings if they book in a lower cabin. And, OP may not want to downgrade to fly PE in any case...
Old Dec 28, 2018, 11:27 am

Programs: AA (EXP, 3 MM), Hyatt Globalist, Taj InnerCircle Silver, MLife Noir, former LHW-Aurelian
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Forget about booking one-ways, if it were me I'd book 2 separate roundtrip PNRs with the dates nested as such to work.

PNR 1: BOS-LHR on your desired outbound date, LHR-BOS at a date months out in the future when you might want to go back to London (or whereever in Europe). Book the LHR-BOS segment in economy or PE if necessary.
PNR 2: LHR-BOS on your desired return date, BOS-LHR on a date to coincide with the LHR-BOS segment above.
Genius!
Old Dec 28, 2018, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by nyc6035
Should you happen to want to change your return flight after your outbound flight to a later or earlier flight or different routing (assuming the fare code allows free changes), often times an exchange will be performed resulting in a new ticket number...ymmv.
Upgrading the return (after flying the outbound) will also result in a new ticket number.

Why AA has this rule (other than mindlessly copying Delta) is beyond me. Switching to a spend-based program is supposed to reward high spenders; the 75,000 cap discourages them.
lbbzman and fotoflyer88 like this.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 12:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, Delta PM, *wood Ambassador Plat, Marriott Self-Imposed Exile
What's PE?
Old Dec 28, 2018, 12:54 pm

Programs: DL DM, Ex-AA EXP, HZ Pres, MRT AMB/LTP
What's PE?
premium economy
Old Dec 28, 2018, 12:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
What's PE?
Premium Economy. Both AA and BA offer that cabin. Basically a similar seat to US Domestic First with extra legroom and recline and somewhat improved F&B and amenities.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 12:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Personally, if the price matters, I would pay $3100 and fly business class on EI rather than pay $9000 for AA, though would have to connect in Dublin

Non stop is nice, but I would take the $6000 saving - would take that over premium economy

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.