Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Reminded of how bad Club World is on BA / AA J vs other oneworld J

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Reminded of how bad Club World is on BA / AA J vs other oneworld J

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2018, 3:41 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by ijgordon

Uh, nearly all the CW window and center seats require this when the aisle passenger is is sleeping/reclined with the ottoman folded down.
Climbing over or lifting one's leg? I agree that CW does not offer direct aisle access, but I have never had to climb over anyone.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 4:07 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Originally Posted by AA100k

I’ll take direct aisle access and less cabin density every time over the substandard Club World configuration.
Sure, me too [I've not flown CW] - but berating it merely for being 8 across is lazy thinking.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 4:14 pm

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
i only fly BA J class because I can earn bonus points.... there are actually a few seats that one could get out without climbing over others (or be climbed over)

but i think families do like this configuration (my sister does as it traps her daughter inside...
JDiver likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 4:28 pm

Programs: AA MM, AA EXP; OW Emerald, EK silver
Unless I'm on the upper deck the seating on AA is preferable although the inflight service is better on BA. Yes, the food is awful on AA but I don't fly for the food and can always eat in the Cathay or Qantas lounge before my TATL flight. On BA the aisle seats are a disaster, feel very exposed and the FAs lean over you to serve the window seat. However, looking way back, how many people remember the 'cradle seats'?
Old Dec 9, 2018, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Andriyko
Climbing over or lifting one's leg? I agree that CW does not offer direct aisle access, but I have never had to climb over anyone.

Yes, you have to climb over the ottoman, and the aisle passenger’s feet.
Perhaps we have different definitions of climb.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 4:37 pm

Programs: DL Plat 1MM, AA EXP 3MM, SQ Krisflyer Gold, UA Silver, Marriott LTT, HH Gold
QR is definitely my favorite, and AA J is a very decent hard J product - service though is usually at the bottom of the list. This week I flew MIA-LHR in F and back the next day in J - same crew. We were west of Greenland when I asked if they were going to set up the little buffet since I was hoping to get one of those little banana cream thingies. The ladies were busy chatting about email stuff and told me "not yet" when the purser recognized me from the day before and said "hold on" and gave me two of those things. I haven't done Qantas J in quite a while, I had a pretty pleasant CX flight from JFK to HKG and HKG to LAX, the hard product is the same as AA - but service was a lot nicer and I am a sucker for the CX burger.
I only had one Finnair flight in J in the last 24 months and it was the best meal I had in a long time (including OS J) the seat was alright. But meal and service were great. I found BA food to be continuously improving, and while I am not a big fan of the CW seats, I do like that my feet don't go into a tight box. I usually take exit windows (like 62A on a 74) to get a little more room - and if find that rather comfortable - I'd take that over IB for example any day.
BA IFE is probably the worst - but then again I usually put some shows on my Ipad that I haven't been able to catch up on...
Old Dec 9, 2018, 5:02 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
I had a nice LAX-SYD RT in AA J recently with two different crews. The 789 J seat is very nice particularly with the Casper bedding.

I was pleasantly surprised by the service levels on both directions. On a recent AA J Asia flight the crew rushed dinner and then disappeared for the rest of the flight. Not on this one, they brought dinner and different members of the crew continued to work the cabin throughout the flight since different people were on different sleep schedules. While I was awake, seemed like someone was always walking through the cabin checking on drinks and snacks. It wasn't QR level service, but very good on both legs.

And, of course, the 789 1-2-1 seating with direct aisle access is very nice.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 7:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
BA J is pretty awful
Old Dec 10, 2018, 6:25 am

Smallest of the small niggling bits, but I prefer the 77Ws that have the open cupboard with bars across, rather than the little doors. I find the cable for the headphones often makes the door clip stick. I think the first delivered got the doors while later versions got the bars.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 6:53 am

Programs: US-Plt;Concierge key; American AAirpass; Delta Silver;Starwood - Platinum; Amex Cent
I'm happy to criticize AA when it's due, but out of LHR to the USA AA is far better than BA - or any other airline (except maybe Air New Zealand on LAX-LHR). Flagship on the US side, hard product, bedding, T3 @ LHR vs T5, etc are all better. I fly JFK-LHR monthly and I've spoken to dozens of BA Gold members who only use AA on this route for the reasons above. Food can be great, good or not good - but I find the same on any airline. Same with service. I can't think of a single flight this past year where the JFK-LHR service (I always take the am Eastbound) wan't very good.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 7:34 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
One benefit of BA is that they fly to so many more places in the US than AA...or pretty much anyone else. I can fly AUS-LHR nonstop on BA. For any domestic US carrier I'd have to first fly to a hub. There's something to be said about departing right from your home airport. And on the return, I have yet to experience a better customs & immigration experience than I have at AUS.
Outside of AA's RDU-LHR service, I'm not aware of any other non-hub service to LHR.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, I wouldn't add an unnecessary connection just to fly AA metal over BA metal. But if your final destination isn't London, and you have to connect somewhere anyway, that might tip it back in favor of AA via DFW/ORD/PHL/etc.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 2:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy Amb; AA EXP
Originally Posted by morrisunc
I'm happy to criticize AA when it's due, but out of LHR to the USA AA is far better than BA - or any other airline (except maybe Air New Zealand on LAX-LHR). Flagship on the US side, hard product, bedding, T3 @ LHR vs T5, etc are all better. I fly JFK-LHR monthly and I've spoken to dozens of BA Gold members who only use AA on this route for the reasons above. Food can be great, good or not good - but I find the same on any airline. Same with service. I can't think of a single flight this past year where the JFK-LHR service (I always take the am Eastbound) wan't very good.
You like T3 better than T5? Is that because the lounges are less hectic or you can slip into the Cathay lounge for a meal? I dislike the hectic nature of the T5 F lounge, but I have to say that the First check-in, security and then going directly into the F lounge is 'like a Boss.' It's easily among the most VIP things I get to do..at least post-CK.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.