Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Charlotte weather weekend 9 Dec 2018 / Storm Diego

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2018, 1:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT PRO, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plt. Premier

In SLC now, flying home tonight on the redeye then coming back out again Sunday. I see Charlotte is supposed to get hammered this weekend, but no weather waiver posted, so instead of just staying over the weekend and hitting up Vegas I will be stuck on Sunday at CLT because AA is not proactive enough to post a weather waiver, thanks !!
Old Dec 6, 2018, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
I don't see one on the other airlines yet either. There are lots of reasons to diss AA these days but let's wait until other airlines have actually issued a waiver and AA hasn't before getting mad at AA. In fact, I wished AA took Delta's lead more in regards to weather issues as DL usually does a better job with those.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 2:20 pm

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by dgparent
In SLC now, flying home tonight on the redeye then coming back out again Sunday. I see Charlotte is supposed to get hammered this weekend, but no weather waiver posted, so instead of just staying over the weekend and hitting up Vegas I will be stuck on Sunday at CLT because AA is not proactive enough to post a weather waiver, thanks !!
No idea what you're talking about . It's currently sunny in CLT.

I see that you might be enjoying an extra day at the destination circled in red below at the hotel of your choice (out of pocket of course) if that waiver doesn't get posted on time:

wrp96 likes this.

Last edited by enpremiere; Dec 6, 2018 at 3:48 pm
Old Dec 6, 2018, 4:01 pm

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
Ehh, storms shift north or south all the time, forecasted temps may end up a few degrees warmer leading to rain instead of snow, etc.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 6:35 pm

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
Originally Posted by MarkOK
Ehh, storms shift north or south all the time, forecasted temps may end up a few degrees warmer leading to rain instead of snow, etc.
Exactly.

This is a very challenging storm to forecast for because of all the variables involved, but if trends continue, I can easily see AA post a waiver for Sunday. Breezy winds and some type of frozen precipitation don't sound like great weather for flying. I suggest OP keep an eye on this through tomorrow and make necessary changes if/when the waiver posts.

Edit: I reread the original post and I just realized OP is criticizing AA for not issuing a waiver for 3 days out for a storm that may evolve quite differently than originally forecast. I've never seen an airline's meteorology department issue a waiver 3 days out for a winter storm.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 7:05 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
National Weather Service prediction isn’t yet quite able to predict much. Link

It may be a bit early to predict CLT will or might be shut down or not. Airline met service personnel studying the southeast winter storm progress aren’t likely to issue travel alert advisories for CLT just yet.
Attached Images  
Old Dec 6, 2018, 7:41 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by dgparent
This is a tad melodramatic. If you wanted a weekend in Vegas, you obviously could have chosen to book that originally, with or without a storm.

Regards
DataPlumber and wrp96 like this.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 8:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Travel alerts starting to roll out.
  • Amarillo, Texas (AMA)
  • Fort Smith, Arkansas (FSM)
  • Joplin, Missouri (JLN)
  • Oklahoma City, Oklahoma (OKC)
  • Springfield / Branson, Missouri (SGF)
  • Stillwater, Oklahoma (SWO)
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma (TUL)
  • Northwest Arkansas / Bentonville, Arkansas (XNA)
Old Dec 7, 2018, 4:24 am

Weather alert extended further east to include Charlotte.
  • Asheville, North Carolina (AVL)
  • Bristol / Johnson City / Kingsport, Tennessee (TRI)
  • Charlotte, North Carolina (CLT)
  • Greensboro / High Point, North Carolina (GSO)
  • Greenville / Spartanburg, South Carolina (GSP)
  • Knoxville, Tennessee (TYS)
  • Lynchburg, Virginia (LYH)
  • Raleigh / Durham, North Carolina (RDU)
  • Roanoke, Virginia (ROA)
Old Dec 7, 2018, 7:15 am

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
I got an email from AA last night with a waiver, but when I logged in to AA.com to change my trip (through one of the affected airports), there is no change option (other than same-day change, which already applied).

I'd like to move my trip by 1 day, to avoid the snow. If I call AA (since changing online doesn't work), will I get hit with a change fee--with the trip going to one of the airports covered by the waiver?

Thanks.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 7:30 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by NYCommuter
I got an email from AA last night with a waiver, but when I logged in to AA.com to change my trip (through one of the affected airports), there is no change option (other than same-day change, which already applied).

I'd like to move my trip by 1 day, to avoid the snow. If I call AA (since changing online doesn't work), will I get hit with a change fee--with the trip going to one of the airports covered by the waiver?

Thanks.
You have to call AA, unless you hooked on aa.com you can't change the reservation yourself online. I called AA this morning and was able to change my plans to avoid CLT, had booked through TA so couldn't do it online either. I would think that because you can't do it yourself you shouldn't be charged. Safe travels...
Old Dec 7, 2018, 7:31 am

Oh lovely, I'm flying via CLT on the 11th (6 hours after the outer envelope of the free change period). Wonder if they'll grant a change since I'm sure that CLT will be back to 100% operations on Tuesday /sarcasm
Old Dec 7, 2018, 7:46 am

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
Oh lovely, I'm flying via CLT on the 11th (6 hours after the outer envelope of the free change period). Wonder if they'll grant a change since I'm sure that CLT will be back to 100% operations on Tuesday /sarcasm
It's entirely possible the waiver may be extended, they're likely just waiting to see how things go.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 7:58 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
For me (Stillwater, OK, SWO) over the last 24 hours, our snow predictions went from ~8 inches to now maybe a dusting to an inch as the storm seems to have weakened a little with a trajectory to move a little more south....
Old Dec 7, 2018, 8:08 am

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
IME, online flight changes for travel waiver affected flights waive the change fee but attempt to charge the fare difference. In order to get a true no-cost flight change, I've always had to call the EXP desk. YMMV.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.