Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

First Timer: AA International Flight Canceled due to Maintenance

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First Timer: AA International Flight Canceled due to Maintenance

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2018, 7:49 am

Programs: Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by bishj5
(used 38min of international calling)!
irrelevant, use Google Voice/Skype + WiFi/local SIM

AA has paid for hotel, three meals and transporation to hotel and back to airport. The cancelation is forcing an unplanned day away from work and home. I plan to call customer service upon arriving back in the United States. What type of compensation could we expect to receive?
Expect? none. the US doesn't protect pax rights in such cases. AA has met its duty of care. Consequential loss is irrelevant and not covered. Best bet is travel insurance.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 10:06 am

It looks like the plane was ferried back to DFW just a couple hours later.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 10:43 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
AA has paid for hotel, three meals and transporation to hotel and back to airport.
Welcome to FlyerTalk.

That is pretty much the compensation you will receive. I wouldn't expect anything more - maybe a "sorry for the inconvenience" email.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by Antarius
the 787 has an excellent dispatch reliability of 99.4% on par with the 77W.
Tell that to the OP.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 12:59 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by enviroian
Tell that to the OP.
You're aware that's not how "data" works?
BlatheringPenguin and TWA884 like this.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by JonNYC
You're aware that's not how "data" works?
That's not how any of this works.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 5:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Hilton
Thanks for the info. I travel with T-mobile which has a $0.25/min for international calling and free international data/text. I also carry the CSR credit card which might get me reimbursement (according to another FT thread I've now found) with their trip interruption insurance plan.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 5:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by enviroian
I flew this same route last year and also was canceled to mx.

Let me guess you were scheduled on that POS bucket o’ bolts 787???
It was a 787-9 and was only maybe half full of passengers. The conspiracy theory around the gate was that it was an intentional cancellation to move most passengers to the next day's flight which was also only about half full.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 6:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It was a 787-9 and was only maybe half full of passengers. The conspiracy theory around the gate was that it was an intentional cancellation to move most passengers to the next day's flight which was also only about half full.
That's a great conspiracy. What does AA then do with the aircraft? Toss it in the trash or fly it back empty, as it apparently did, and lose a ton of money which it need not have had it flown with its scheduled load?
Old Dec 6, 2018, 10:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
There is no compensation. Rather, AA will typically provide some form of customer service gesture in the form of a few miles or a small voucher. The hotel and meals are a contractual obligation under the COC.

I would handle this via a web form submission. Tends to get dealt with better.

You will generally need to make arrangements locally to have your bags transferred, although it is theoretically possible for the phone agent to message SCL. But, that isn't a great system.
Thanks for the heads up. I submitted a web form submission with all of the details and both of our AA account numbers. Hopefully I can be reimbursed the international call charges by the CSR trip interruption insurance. I am hoping for a voucher to use for a future trip at least. Will report back if anyone is interested on how this ends up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.