Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

what happened on aa 92 (phl to zrh) on 11/10

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

what happened on aa 92 (phl to zrh) on 11/10

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2018, 2:48 pm

Programs: CK or bust
For all you 767 haters, I missed out the Concorde but I count myself fortunate to ride on the relic otherwise known as the 767 to Egyption pyramid builders (expressed in hieroglyphics in the ancient world as follows):

FIGURE 1 - TRANSLATION OF 767 IN HIEROGLYPHS: PLANE + GAS GUZZLER + BREAKS DOWN OFTEN

With its throwback IFE tablets and quirky angle-flat business seats, it's truly unique to ride these in the premium TATL market this day and age. I think of it more like the chance to experience a classic car that gets a bit emotional when it's time to actually fly.

If you can look beyond the hard product and operational dependability, they still look decent when parked at a gate!
wrp96 likes this.

Last edited by enpremiere; Nov 14, 2018 at 2:58 pm
Old Nov 14, 2018, 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by kszary
At this point, I think the word "refurbished" isn't even an accurate assessment.
AA route planners: "Called this meeting about a serious problem. We can't fix the 767 reliability issues so we need some marketing help to help gloss it over. We can't use "refurbished" anymore since nobody wants to fly those routes because they know it's a toss-up if the 767 will fly that night."

Outside Consultant: "Well, I hear that grunge could be coming back. Shiny, new, seat-back IFE, and predictable aircraft are just trends. Let's call it 'distressed' and see if that sticks."

AA route planners: "Bonuses and champagne all around."

This post is a work of fiction. Characters, businesses, meetings, and aircraft are either the products of the poster's imagination or used in a fictitious manner. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, or actual repeated mechanical events is purely coincidental.
MSPeconomist and wrp96 like this.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 4:04 pm

I'm convinced that people who complain about the 767 always fly up front. For those of us in the back, it's still the best long haul plane in the sky solely due to the 2-3-2 configuration. Once the 767 is gone, 2-3-2 isn't coming back and will be missed.
NovaEngr, MSPeconomist and wrp96 like this.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 4:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP sad former CK, Bonvoy LT Plat, BAEC Gold, VS, former UA, UA no longer, never, ever, QF
Originally Posted by pfreet
I'm convinced that people who complain about the 767 always fly up front. For those of us in the back, it's still the best long haul plane in the sky solely due to the 2-3-2 configuration. Once the 767 is gone, 2-3-2 isn't coming back and will be missed.
Having flown the 763 about twenty times to Zurich last year in J, and Lima in J, there is nothing wrong with it. These are "first world" complaints. The tablet? Not so great. But whatever. IFE is IFE. You are flying to Europe. Go to sleep. If you don't have IFE on the return in J, complain. You paid for it. First world problems. I have seen mechanical on it (Lima flights) but whatever. Flights are flights.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by pfreet
767 is crappy old ancient plane but it has the best MCE. Private 2 row cabin with wide and well padded seats in 2-3-2 wirhout extra charge for premium economy. I miss flying 767
Old Nov 14, 2018, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Wow! I didn't hear it! What's going on? Is that mechanical problem?
Old Nov 14, 2018, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I would guess that the DL JFK-ZRH flight is a 767 for most of the year. Folks seem to like the DL 767 in coach, although for business class all other widebody DL aircraft have better seats IMO, although the DL 767s are true flat beds in a 1-2-1 configuration.
DL’s 767s *have* been refurbished in Coach. Seats look new, have seatback IFE and some form of power. AA’s coach has an overhead monitor and those air tube headphones (jk). It’s *true* Basic Economy.

In J the seats are the same model. AA’s are actually a little nicer, just without the built-in IFE. But there’s a stand for the tablet on the seatback in front and an extra power port so it’s really NBD.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2018, 7:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by ijgordon

DL’s 767s *have* been refurbished in Coach. Seats look new, have seatback IFE and some form of power. AA’s coach has an overhead monitor and those air tube headphones (jk). It’s *true* Basic Economy.

In J the seats are the same model. AA’s are actually a little nicer, just without the built-in IFE. But there’s a stand for the tablet on the seatback in front and an extra power port so it’s really NBD.
all those wires for the tablet tho 🙄
Old Nov 14, 2018, 9:47 pm

Programs: Alaska Gold 75K, AA EXP, United 1K
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
it's been an A332 for a while now, even tonight's flight
Is it? It looks like it was a 763 today unless I’m missing something...
Old Nov 14, 2018, 10:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by lightbulbs

Is it? It looks like it was a 763 today unless I’m missing something...
not sure what source you’re using but Deltas App (and other info which I won’t name) shows an A332 tonight and I have seen it being used most of the summer too.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 4:27 am

Programs: Alaska Gold 75K, AA EXP, United 1K
Originally Posted by AANYC1981

not sure what source you’re using but Deltas App (and other info which I won’t name) shows an A332 tonight and I have seen it being used most of the summer too.
oops my bad I thought we were still talking about AA 92
Old Nov 15, 2018, 1:52 pm
C46

Originally Posted by ijgordon

I've been aboard all 58 763s, AA used to own - from ship 351 thru 350.

And I have not seen a single airtube headphone!

They are an operational nightmare, that's true - but I still love 'em.

The shriek of the engines, when the aircraft rolls on position...the loud 'CLANK', when you operate the door-lever...and the electric door operation at the 1L-door; like the curtain at a theatre. And from then on, it was game time...ah, those memories!
Old Nov 15, 2018, 1:56 pm
Original Poster

so i'm still excited to go on my first 763 but it seems like there is inclement weather in PHL... got a notification that i can change my date of travel (not my routing interestingly enough) so we'll see what happens!
wrp96 and enpremiere like this.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by omaralt
so i'm still excited to go on my first 763 but it seems like there is inclement weather in PHL... got a notification that i can change my date of travel (not my routing interestingly enough) so we'll see what happens!
In IRROPS I haven't had difficulties picking a different routing (with availability on AA metal) and requesting it by phone so if you are looking for one, it might be worth a try.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 2:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by enpremiere
In IRROPS I haven't had difficulties picking a different routing (with availability on AA metal) and requesting it by phone so if you are looking for one, it might be worth a try.
That’s what I did. I found a routing but it was on British Airways metal through Chicago. But they refused saying the only thing available was the date change. But it seems the weather in Philadelphia tomorrow is not too bad so hopefully no major delays

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.