Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Business Class Awards to Australia (to merge)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA Business Class Awards to Australia (to merge)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2018, 8:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by jhyler
Thanks, everyone, for your help. The more information: my wife and I are on a cruise out of BNE on October 5, 2019 (returning November 3, but I'll deal with that separately - and hopefully, what I learn in booking the outbound will help). Given jet lag and allowing for a little paranoia, we want to be in BNE no later than October 4. Earlier, say up to a week, is doable.
Air + cruise. This sounds like a good time to mention travel insurance.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 1:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by enviroian
what are Sydney's winters like? It's hellish here in Dallas in July. Might be a welcome reprieve.
SYD winters are mild - never too cold, and rarely need more than a jacket.

But...it's the absolute best time to go up to Port Douglas & Cairns and go snorkeling or diving at the reef as the weather there is perfect. And you can use SYD as a base to go to New Caledonia or Fiji which are 3 & 4 hour flights away and the best time to be in those locales.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 1:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aztimm
I used AA miles and flew F on the QF A380, SYD-DFW, a few weeks ago. It really wasn't very difficult.
How was their F? I'm booked to SYD-MEL-LAX on a 388 across the pacific and I know their biz class on that product is crappy compared to what they fly to Asia...I didn't want to book it, but it was F for 110k, so I did as I couldn't find AA biz availability..
Old Nov 7, 2018, 3:53 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by bhatnasx
SYD winters are mild - never too cold, and rarely need more than a jacket.
That wasn't my experience at all when I was there in Aug-Sep, what seems like many years ago now. I needed a winter coat, gloves, scarf, and hat most of the time I was outside. It was far worse in Melbourne (which was simply cold, dreary, and wet), and there was snow in Tasmania. The best weather I had during that trip was in Perth.
I'd plan for the worst and hope for the best.

This past October it was as you say, quite mild. A few days we were in Melbourne they had near record high temps--mid-80sF. Cairns was wonderful. It rained nearly every day we were in Sydney, save 1 that was simply amazing.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 4:02 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bhatnasx
How was their F? I'm booked to SYD-MEL-LAX on a 388 across the pacific and I know their biz class on that product is crappy compared to what they fly to Asia...I didn't want to book it, but it was F for 110k, so I did as I couldn't find AA biz availability..
We flew SFO-MEL in biz on the 787 and returned SYD-DFW in F on the 380. The difference was night and day. The business seat was ok...not nearly as good as any of the more modern AA business seats (if you've flown AY's A330 I'd compare it to that). The food was horrible, the only thing I could eat for dinner as a bowl of tomato soup. Breakfast was ok...but extremely small portions. I really hated the timing of that flight. We left at about 10pm, arrived at 6:30am (2 days later), but it was pitch black outside for nearly the entire flight. When the sun rose about 30 minutes before we landed it felt like everyone on the aircraft breathed a sigh of relief.
I much prefer the timing of the AA flights between DFW and Asia...they leave around 10-11am, arrive around 4-5pm (next day).

The F product was more like AA's business, but the seat was a bit bigger, and the service was exceptional. The food was good (not great); at least there were a few items that were edible. Portion size was decent. We were able to eat together (there's kind of a guest seat in your pod, and the table is HUGE).
After dinner, many people went to the lounge upstairs while the FAs prepared the seats for sleeping. The captain came out for a meet and greet, and many people took pictures of him in front of the Qantas logo that is at the top of the stairs. There were 2 groups in biz going to bachelor parties, so I'm not sure anyone else in that cabin got much sleep (but it was quiet downstairs in F).
The timing of the return was far better. We left at about 1:30pm, arrived at 1pm (same day). It was sunny when we started, the sun set, then rose again.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by aztimm
The food was horrible, the only thing I could eat for dinner as a bowl of tomato soup
Wow, really? I looked at trip reports and it look pretty good to me then again I've never heard QF was known for their food. Bad like in BA bad? Imagine the poor chaps in Y!

Old Nov 7, 2018, 9:21 am

Originally Posted by enviroian
Wow, really? I looked at trip reports and it look pretty good to me then again I've never heard QF was known for their food. Bad like in BA bad? Imagine the poor chaps in Y!

I should clarify that I don't eat anything from cows or pigs (so no beef or pork). It was a personal decision I made over 20 years ago. The last time I tried, the results the next day were not good.

Typically every airline has something worth eating that isn't beef or pork. There's usually chicken, turkey, fish, seafood...something. But on QF the alternative was some sort of vegetarian dish. I did get it, took a bite and it was so horrible that I spit it into my napkin, then had to go to the lav to freshen up. It was supposed to be peppers, onions, mushrooms, and I'm not sure what else. But it was truly disgusting.
An FA had initially delivered what they called a, "ruben," to me...it was a sandwich on wheat bread (what looked like Orowheat), it wasn't even sliced, and it was just a sandwich...no chips, no fries, nothing else but that sandwich.
Thankfully I always bring snacks and protein bars with me when I travel. I've been burned in the past in domestic F when the FA came to me and said, "all I have is this pork chop," and I replied, "no thanks."
Oddly, the AA flight (we were in F) DFW-SFO had fantastic food. We had pre-ordered some sort of pasta (I think stuffed tortellini) and it was great....and edible.

So here's how I rank business food (food only) on the One World carriers I've flown:

BA-->AA-->AY-->CX-->QF

(note: CX's non-beast food options were only marginally better than QF)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.