Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Workers Sewing Masks For Colleagues in Empty Admirals Clubs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2020, 8:59 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis

MIA’s Admirals Club is closed. American Airlines workers have turned it into mask factory.[
By Michelle Kaufman, Miami Herald, APRIL 10, 2020

With frequent fliers largely grounded, American Airlines employees have transformed Miami International’s premium passenger’s lounge into a makeshift sewing factory.

In the Admirals Club by Gate 30, airline workers are cranking out face masks for fellow employees

...The mask-making operation was the brainchild of Suzanne Peters, the senior manager of Premium Services at the airline. Peters normally oversees the clubs, but they are all closed during the coronavirus crisis. So she offered to round up workers to cut, iron and sew masks made of old American Airlines uniform shirts and other donated cotton shirts.

She put out a message to gate agents, ticket agents, ramp workers and other departments calling for volunteers. She asked them to bring in old uniform shirts, irons, ironing boards and sewing machines. The response was overwhelming.

Within a day, the operation was running from 6 a.m. to 9 p.m. with about 25 workers per shift. By Thursday afternoon, they had sewn and delivered 600 masks. Their goal is 10,000 — almost enough for each of the 13,000 Miami-based American Airlines workers. All are volunteers.”

Some unofficial reports claim similar efforts are in place at other Admirals Clubs.

Read more here: https://www.miamiherald.com/news/bus...241889946.html
Geordie405, renila, AAway and 18 others like this.
Old Apr 10, 2020, 9:01 am

Thank you for sharing and brightening my day.
AA100k and JDiver like this.
Old Apr 10, 2020, 10:50 am

Programs: AA Concierge Key, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, National Car Executive Elite
I'm impressed. I assume that the staff who are sewing the masks otherwise would not have work. There is a well advertised national need for the masks, so this has to be good for the country. It's fantastic when an otherwise unused facility with otherwise unemployed staff are fulfilling a known national need using recycled clothing.
Old Apr 10, 2020, 11:05 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Suzanne does an excellent job running the MIA ACs and these clubs are very much used.
Old Apr 10, 2020, 11:29 am

Programs: AA Concierge Key, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, National Car Executive Elite
Hopefully, MIA clubs and all of the rest around the country reopen soon. I understand the corona virus concerns, but as I speak with my clients I'm also hearing concerns about severe economic distress as this shutdown continues. Hopefully business can gradually return to a slightly normal operational mode albeit with new safeguards related to sanitation and distancing.
Old Apr 10, 2020, 11:35 am
Original Poster

I think that as employees from several groups are volunteering, this could help with the “siloing “ we have seen, e.g. gate agents upset and even undoing what Club agents have arranged for flyers.

She put out a message to gate agents, ticket agents, ramp workers and other departments calling for volunteers. She asked them to bring in old uniform shirts, irons, ironing boards and sewing machines. The response was overwhelming.
Old Apr 10, 2020, 11:36 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by ksweeney
Hopefully, MIA clubs and all of the rest around the country reopen soon. I understand the corona virus concerns, but as I speak with my clients I'm also hearing concerns about severe economic distress as this shutdown continues. Hopefully business can gradually return to a slightly normal operational mode albeit with new safeguards related to sanitation and distancing.
I don't want to go OT here but at some point our leaders are going to need to decide the best of two bad options. Double digit unemployment, particularly of the 20% or more kind, cause huge increases in early death, substance abuse, health issues and all around human misery. If a company doesn't have revenues or enough revenues professional staff, the kind that can work from home, will be cut. Now whether we have the kind of leaders that can make tough decisions and stand by them. I won't comment on that.

Once the extreme social distancing is done the ACs can probably re-open. The question is more how safe will medical professionals consider an a/c that is 100% full with people near sitting on top of each other.
Old Apr 11, 2020, 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
I think that as employees from several groups are volunteering, this could help with the “siloing “ we have seen, e.g. gate agents upset and even undoing what Club agents have arranged for flyers.
That's very optimistic, I'm afraid. Wouldn't it make sense to rotate agents between Club and gate positions, so that everyone gets a better appreciation of how to do things in a win-win way?
Old Apr 13, 2020, 12:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AndyPatterson
That's very optimistic, I'm afraid. Wouldn't it make sense to rotate agents between Club and gate positions, so that everyone gets a better appreciation of how to do things in a win-win way?
im afraid Uniin contracts and job descriptions might not allow that. This is AA we’re talking about, not Southwest.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.