Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EXP requal question - no 2018 activity

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2018, 7:03 am
Original Poster

EXP requal question - no 2018 activity

Currently EXP with 0 flights credited to AA this year. Assuming 31Dec2018 comes and it is still 0 flights credited and not buying membership tier, would the following be correct:

1. EXP still valid until 31Jan2019 - that means for all flights flown from 1Jan19 to 31Jan19 will still accrue EXP benefits - particularly the elite bonuses etc as if was still EXP.
2. If one (somehow) manages to meet all EXP requirements between 1Jan19 and 31Jan19, does that mean EXP will automatically be granted for the rest of 2019 and until 1Jan20 (or 1Jan21)? If this was the case, theres actually no difference if I did all the flying in Dec or Jan (again assume Jan I can meet all EXP requirements)...?

Any insights greatly appreciated!! If it helps with context, I've got quite a bit of flying to do (all long haul premium cabin etc) and can elect to do it in Dec or Jan, so if some of the above is true then its a bit less stressful to fit everything in for Dec when I've traditionally looked to as the "deadline" for requalification.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by baclubflyer
Currently EXP with 0 flights credited to AA this year. Assuming 31Dec2018 comes and it is still 0 flights credited and not buying membership tier, would the following be correct:

1. EXP still valid until 31Jan2019 - that means for all flights flown from 1Jan19 to 31Jan19 will still accrue EXP benefits - particularly the elite bonuses etc as if was still EXP.
2. If one (somehow) manages to meet all EXP requirements between 1Jan19 and 31Jan19, does that mean EXP will automatically be granted for the rest of 2019 and until 1Jan20 (or 1Jan21)? If this was the case, theres actually no difference if I did all the flying in Dec or Jan (again assume Jan I can meet all EXP requirements)...?

Any insights greatly appreciated!! If it helps with context, I've got quite a bit of flying to do (all long haul premium cabin etc) and can elect to do it in Dec or Jan, so if some of the above is true then its a bit less stressful to fit everything in for Dec when I've traditionally looked to as the "deadline" for requalification.
You are correct, your EXP benefits don't expire until Jan. 31. If you fly enough to meet all of the EXP requirements in January 2019, then your EXP status would then be good through Jan. 31, 2021.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 7:17 am

You're correct on all counts. If you qualify for EXP in January 2019 you will qualify for the rest of 2019, for all of 2020 and January 2021 so would have no break in status until at least February 1, 2021.

Last edited by jordyn; Oct 31, 2018 at 7:18 am Reason: I can spell, really!
Old Oct 31, 2018, 7:18 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
I believe you are correct and I believe your status would go through 31Jan2021 as you suspect.

Answered 1 minute too slow!
Old Oct 31, 2018, 7:43 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
To the OP to clarify, all of your flying (and spending) will need to occur during January. Any part of it during December won't requalify you for EXP for 2021-January 2021. Your right that would be a very time consuming ordeal.
GTITAN likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 7:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
To the OP to clarify, all of your flying (and spending) will need to occur during January. Any part of it during December won't requalify you for EXP for 2021-January 2021. Your right that would be a very time consuming ordeal.
It would be equally time consuming to do it all in December, but January has the advantage of getting an additional year of EXP, or two years before needing to do the same thing all over again.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 7:57 am

Programs: Hilton, American, Club Carlson, United, Marriott, Starwood
First, since it is December and January we are talking about, it is critical that you have enough activity for the EXP qualification in a SINGLE MONTH. Splitting the activity between December and January will NOT blend to qualify you for any year, and your status will come crashing down to whatever you earned in the larger of the two months as of Feb 1.
If you do the max qualifying flying in December, your status will count for 2019, and will expire Jan 31, 2020.
If you do the max qualifying flying in January, your status will count through 2020, and will expire Jan 31, 2021.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 8:35 am

Programs: WN A-List, AA good-riddance, Safeway Club Card Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
Your right that would be a very time consuming ordeal.
Time or money -- you could do it in two weekends if you were willing to drop about $20k (flying in flexible J to HKG)
MasterPlanner and GTITAN like this.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 8:50 am

Programs: AA (EXP, 3 MM), Hyatt Globalist, Taj InnerCircle Silver, MLife Noir, former LHW-Aurelian
Originally Posted by Science Goy
Time or money -- you could do it in two weekends if you were willing to drop about $20k (flying in flexible J to HKG)
Ah, it reminds me of the 'good old days' when one actually had to fly 100k miles BIS to be EXP...
Old Oct 31, 2018, 8:52 am

Programs: WN A-List, AA good-riddance, Safeway Club Card Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by MasterPlanner
Ah, it reminds me of the 'good old days' when one actually had to fly 100k miles BIS to be EXP...
Or 66,667 BIS miles in premium classes, or 100 miserable short hops on RJs
Old Oct 31, 2018, 8:58 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
But if OP flew enough in Jan and Feb (say) of 2019, his flying would be less hectic he would still get EXP status until 1/31/21; he would only be "un-elite" for Feb, but since he would have to do nearly all his flying in J and/or F, this shouldn't be a great inconvenience.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 9:14 am

Programs: AA Exp / Marriott Titanium / Hilton Gold / Hyatt Globalist / United Silver

Here you go

0 to EXP in four weekends in PE & $7000

book through CX.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 9:31 am
Original Poster

Thank to ALL who reply - very much appreciated.

Glad I asked - when I was speaking to the AA EXP desk earlier, I was sort of feeding the assumptions / questions and then ended up "self-answering" - the agent seemed very lost hence why I resorted to FT experts

Seems like IF I travel anyway and its in EITHER Dec or Jan / Feb, I better just push everything to Jan / Feb as it would get me an extra year of EXP.
JDiver likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 9:39 am

Programs: Hilton, American, Club Carlson, United, Marriott, Starwood
Thank to ALL who reply - very much appreciated.

Glad I asked - when I was speaking to the AA EXP desk earlier, I was sort of feeding the assumptions / questions and then ended up "self-answering" - the agent seemed very lost hence why I resorted to FT experts

Seems like IF I travel anyway and its in EITHER Dec or Jan / Feb, I better just push everything to Jan / Feb as it would get me an extra year of EXP.
Not Jan/Feb - Just Jan, unless you're OK with dropping status for however long in February it will take to finish your EXP.
JDiver likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 9:50 am

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Or 66,667 BIS miles in premium classes, or 100 miserable short hops on RJs
+1

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.