Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JFK-PUJ dropped

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2018, 2:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hertz Five Star, Delta SkyMiles, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, National Executive, Alaksa MVP
JFK-PUJ dropped

What is the best alternative?

I was booked in J with 757 but now they have me going JFK-MIA-PUJ (last leg on 737 Max) getting in 90 mins later. I found the following alternatives.. But am still open to suggestions..

LGA-PHL-PUJ (or just skip LGA-PHL and drive down)
HPN-CLT-PUJ
JFK-MIA-PUJ (earlier in day flying A321 to PUJ)

All options get me in earlier or at same time as previous non-stop flight. But they all leave much earlier in day due to needing a connection..

Thanks
Old Oct 29, 2018, 2:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by rpk113
What is the best alternative?

I was booked in J with 757 but now they have me going JFK-MIA-PUJ (last leg on 737 Max) getting in 90 mins later. I found the following alternatives.. But am still open to suggestions..

LGA-PHL-PUJ (or just skip LGA-PHL and drive down)
HPN-CLT-PUJ
JFK-MIA-PUJ (earlier in day flying A321 to PUJ)

All options get me in earlier or at same time as previous non-stop flight. But they all leave much earlier in day due to needing a connection..

Thanks
I'd just go with the closest airport. Assuming neutral on all 3 airports I'd go with JFK/MIA/PUJ
Old Oct 29, 2018, 2:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hertz Five Star, Delta SkyMiles, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, National Executive, Alaksa MVP
I'm closest to HPN.. Heavily leaning that way. but wanted to hear from more experienced flyers than myself..
Old Oct 29, 2018, 5:55 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
If HPN is closer to you, it seems worth it to originate there.

The downside is it's a small CRJ to CLT. The upside is that CLT-PUJ is operated in the off season with a 330-200, so that would be a nice J experience.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 7:52 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by PHL
If HPN is closer to you, it seems worth it to originate there.

The downside is it's a small CRJ to CLT. The upside is that CLT-PUJ is operated in the off season with a 330-200, so that would be a nice J experience.
How many flts per day from HPN to CRT? If you miss your optimal connection (cancellation or long delay) what options are open?
This thread should be added to the one discussing JFKs "downfall" re intl ftls.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 9:35 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Originally Posted by nrr
How many flts per day from HPN to CRT? If you miss your optimal connection (cancellation or long delay) what options are open?
nrr makes an excellent point. You should look more at the options that gives you the best chances overall in case there are delays, you can still make the connection. Granted, now you are flying earlier. If PHL is best for you, ask for it, or as mentioned before, you can ask for refund and fly another carrier if you can get a better routing (direct, and perhaps cheaper). Good luck.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 9:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
Fly Delta
This is actually really the best option as if you're booked in J and not relying upon an upgrade, assuming you do not need the EQM/Ds, then you can get a refund due to this change from AA and book DL which has a nonstop from JFK.
Spiff, wrp96 and enpremiere like this.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 2:19 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, UA Premier Gold, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Various Rental Car Statuses
Originally Posted by nrr
Its a low end leisure destination. I wouldn’t read too much into it.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 6:26 am

Originally Posted by ryan182
This is actually really the best option as if you're booked in J and not relying upon an upgrade, assuming you do not need the EQM/Ds, then you can get a refund due to this change from AA and book DL which has a nonstop from JFK.
JetBlue has 2 flights a day sandwiched around DL's 1 flight for the remainder of the year and it's a much better experience in Y/Y+. Fly B6.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 7:04 am

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
After being burned innumerable times i have sworn off of HPN. Delay and cancellation risks outweigh the convenience factor.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
The OP booked J. Does JetBlue offer non-stop Mint to PUJ? Not on the date I checked.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 7:11 am
Original Poster

yeah i'm booked. i should have prefaced that I used Avios.. so I'm having a hard time changing anything. any tips from folks? AA shows zero J award availability on the day I want to go. I tried calling both AA and BA neither will change anything. I'm awfully close the MCT at MIA, currently at 50 mins (MCT is 45) and I was in a lie-flat all the way to PUJ. Now I'm not. no one will budge..
Old Oct 30, 2018, 7:12 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by tphuang
JetBlue has 2 flights a day sandwiched around DL's 1 flight for the remainder of the year and it's a much better experience in Y/Y+. Fly B6.
The OP is in J not Y.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by rpk113
yeah i'm booked. i should have prefaced that I used Avios.. so I'm having a hard time changing anything. any tips from folks? AA shows zero J award availability on the day I want to go. I tried calling both AA and BA neither will change anything. I'm awfully close the MCT at MIA, currently at 50 mins (MCT is 45) and I was in a lie-flat all the way to PUJ. Now I'm not. no one will budge..
That makes it harder. If you were booked through AA, most likely you would've been rebooked when you called. The issue here is BA requires AA availability. Ask BA to call the AA liaison and ask them to open up space on an earlier flight due to their schedule change.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 7:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wrp96
That makes it harder. If you were booked through AA, most likely you would've been rebooked when you called. The issue here is BA requires AA availability. Ask BA to call the AA liaison and ask them to open up space on an earlier flight due to their schedule change.
they tried that, AA denied. I have a feeling I'll be on the line with BA alot until I get what I need..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.