Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

MD-80 “Super 80” aka “Mad Dog” memories, “longest goodbye”

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MD-80 “Super 80” aka “Mad Dog” memories, “longest goodbye”

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2018, 5:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
I rode on a number this past summer out of DFW. I remember the ORD/LGA and DFW/LGA ruled by the Super 80. I wonder how long they stay around in 2019.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 5:55 pm

Programs: HHonors, TrueBlue, Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Discoverist, Starwood Preferred Guest, American Airlines.
If companies weren't so greedy, we could keep planes like the MD-80 around (except more modern). Bring back comfortable seating, more pitch, bigger bathrooms, real food, and FA's that actually smile.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 6:10 pm

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
Remember my first upgrade as a new minted PLT on the MD-80 from CLT to DFW which during those days was the only mainline into CLT.
JDiver likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 6:32 pm

One more MD-80 trip coming up for me in a month, which will most assuredly be my last. I'll make sure I give it a fond fairwell from seat 4E...
JDiver and wrp96 like this.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 6:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Best F seats in the fleet (shorthaul). The current 738 ones feel like park benches.
C17PSGR and Spanish like this.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by allset2travel
It has been a while since I flew on a Mad Dog. We have one coming up (DFW-CMH), currently selected seats 4AB. Based on your info, should we change to 4EF?
Yes. Better seat pitch.
JDiver and allset2travel like this.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 6:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Bonvoy Ambassador, Hertz PC
They're getting rarer for sure, but I still seem to run into these fairly regularly. I think I hit them most often on STL-DFW (or the reverse) but also other routes; suddenly kicking myself for not recording equipment in my tracking sheet. Mostly I'm a fan; as others have said J is a treat and Y is better than most of the rest of the fleet. With two caveats: the seats toward the back are really just evil loud, and it's probably the worst aircraft in the fleet to be stuck on a hot tarmac in. I did about 4 hours away from the gate at DFW this summer in 100F heat, and that thing has effectively zero AC when it's not spooled up. We were frying like bacon...
JDiver likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
Mad Dog: great, good, meh, bad. What was it for you? Why? Any special memories?
As someone without status, I remember fondly the few times that I showed up early enough for a LFBU.

All of the other times, I think I would have preferred just about any other mainline aircraft. (CRJs and other overbooked gliders can F right off.)
JDiver likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 6:59 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Originally Posted by ksweeney
Good catch on the MD-90s - those were ex-Reno Airlines planes and weren't in the fleet for very long. Now that AA is down to 30 MD 80 series jets, Delta has like 80 MD90s - mostly discards from China Eastern and China Southern.
I thought that DL acquired like 88 of the "717's" from Air Tran when they were taken over by WN.
Spent way too much of my domestic time aloft on MadDogs, though, for all the complaints about them, I liked the FC seats and "quiet" front cabin.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 7:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
I actually didn't mind the MD in F, I started flying AA only a few years ago and battery life on laptops made the lack of real power a requirement and the seats were pretty comfortable for the short hauls where I found myself on them (often DFW-IAD).

Originally Posted by JDiver
Goodbye, old friend. I’ll miss you, but like the DC-3, -6 and -7, the L-188 Electra, the BAC 1-11, Convair 240, 440 Metro and CV-990, Boeing 707, 720, 727 and 747, Fokker F-100, DC-10 and MD-a lemon you’ll live on in the fleet of my memories.
Wow you flew on all those planes!? You. Are Old! though unlike myself seems you were able to enjoy the "golden age" of flying for which I'm jealous.
JDiver and wrp96 like this.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 8:18 pm

Programs: Avianca LifeMiles. Hilton (G), Meliá (G), Radisson (G). National Car (EE), Hertz (PC), Avis (PC)
I have never flown on it, I always tried to avoid it. I developed a fear toward the MD-80 after Alaska's crash.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 8:25 pm

Flew on quite a few Mad Dogs mainly between ORD and PHX over the years. First time flying in the pointy end was on a mad dog from PHX to ORD. The F seats were nice and getting a seat on the two side made coach bearable. Kinda sad to see them go but the last one I few on to DFW in 2017 was in a pretty sad state.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 8:44 pm

Programs: AA 1MM
A favorite frame of mine I would do 15-20 roundtrips a year on DFW-LAX/SAN/SAN/PSP/ONT. Add in a few trips to LAS/ORD/LGA and that sums up my domestic travel from 1999-2010.

And fortuitous enough, most of my other flights were on the overpowered 757. Happy days..

I really enjoyed traveling during that time period. I qualified for EXP twice and my domestic upgrades were 100% both years.

Must get one more trip in before they are gone, even if I book a trip just to fly the frame.

A retiring airliner that has better seat comfort than its newer replacements, go figure.

Great thread, I will for sure follow this one.
JDiver and Spanish like this.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 8:46 pm
Original Member

I'm booked on an MD-80 RDU-DFW next Tuesday...
JDiver and GTITAN like this.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 9:25 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by ryan182
I actually didn't mind the MD in F, I started flying AA only a few years ago and battery life on laptops made the lack of real power a requirement and the seats were pretty comfortable for the short hauls where I found myself on them (often DFW-IAD).

Wow you flew on all those planes!? You. Are Old! though unlike myself seems you were able to enjoy the "golden age" of flying for which I'm jealous.
I am old! I did fly on those and a few less memorable ones, most likely. My early flights were on AA (and other) DC-3s. Later, in addition to DC-6B, DC-7C on AA, etc. Comets. Connies. Viscounts. TriStars. Etc. I’ve also flown on preserved AA (Century Airlines, sold to American Airways) Stinson SM-6000-B and Ford Trimotors.

Photo: Stinson SM-6000-B panel, taken by owner Greg Herrick. AA mD-80 cockpit c/o Airliners.net
Attached Images   
ryan182, teemuflyer, wrp96 and 1 others like this.

Last edited by JDiver; Oct 16, 2018 at 9:32 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.