Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

How long til / will reverse no seatback IFE decision?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How long til / will reverse no seatback IFE decision?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2018, 12:34 pm

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
I like the idea of not yanking a tablet out particularly in F where I may be having a meal. However, domestic AA is competing more with WN, AS and Spirit which have no IFE. Not so much on an International flight.
Completely agree; tablets and phones may abound but they bring with them their own set of issues and if we're talking about kiddie-sized seats, in-seat IFE can come quite handy.

It's interesting that this thread is titled "AA how long to reverse IFE decision?" (suggesting that there will be a reversal, just a matter of when) versus "Will AA reverse IFE decision?"
Old Oct 16, 2018, 1:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
I don't see this ever being reversed. Years back after the US/HP merger Parker ripped out the IFE (such as it was) on the US fleet. With most of the domestic capacity controlled by 4 carriers winning on product differentiation becomes less and less. Airlines begin to dominate airports from WN at BWI to DL at ATL to AA at DFW (or CLT, PHL, MIA). I haven't slightest clue how anyone could work on a laptop in Y. My company would never ask you to because it just can't be done.

Whether people prefer their own devices versus an airline installed one is debatable. However, on its own merits IFE could never provide a ROI. DL believes its part of the bigger package. But again with so few competitors within the industry having a competing edge based on service becomes less relevant.
JDiver likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 2:57 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
Each airline decides its future strategy and direction. Delta wants to be an upscale, global airline and it considers IFE a part of its strategy. AA under Parker wants to be a global ULCC, and its IFE decision is part of its strategy.
AANYC1981 and TXguy like this.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 3:13 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Austin787
Each airline decides its future strategy and direction. Delta wants to be an upscale, global airline and it considers IFE a part of its strategy. AA under Parker wants to be a global ULCC, and its IFE decision is part of its strategy.
Agreed.

Each seatbzck IFE installation is estimated to cost ~$5,000 and it comes with annual maintenance cost and ultimately a replacement cost. (A refit with required infrastructure might well cost more than that.) Doug Parker decided a WiFi server would be much more cost effective and lighter. It’s about profit, full stop.

Like adding 12 seats to a 737 - each of those seats is estimated to bring in ~$400,000 per year, on the average.

Heck, I’d not be overly surprised if the HP management decides to reduce pitch from 30” to the originally announced 29” after some time. I mean, another row of seats! Maybe even two? No need to add another FA, according to the FARs. (I’m tapping into their dreams now. )

Originally Posted by Austin787
I think he may be looking at Aer Lingus for guidance. No Business at all, short and mid-haul, but decent longhaul J.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by JDiver
I think he may be looking at Aer Lingus for guidance. No Business at all, short and mid-haul, but decent longhaul J.
How about BA, rip out domestic F and run 30" Y pitch through the plane, with empty middles as "J" on non-Flagship routes?

Old Oct 16, 2018, 4:15 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
How about BA, rip out domestic F and run 30" Y pitch through the plane, with empty middles as "J" on non-Flagship routes?

Shhhut up!

I’m feeling a bit better about that with the Rockwell-Collins MiQ order, given they’re already in PE and in the 7M8 and Awaysis birds.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 4:41 pm

Or go the WN way, free live tv and movies on ones personal device,
DenverBrian likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 8:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Amb Elite & LT Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by reeg2

Had a nice chuckle - you call the IFE content garbage, yet there are some films loaded now that are scoring 90%+ on RT/Metacritic. This thread is a nice microcosm of elites who all have different demands and ideals.

A previous poster claims all business people are working on flights - yet I use flight time as a time to watch a movie as I rarely have time otherwise (work + two small kids.) I like the IFE quite a bit because I can find something I’d never heard of and enjoy during those hours in flight.
Eh, 'IMO' I think the content has gone down hill, others may not. Then again I've spent 6-8 hours a week with AA IFE for the past 5 months. That's, conservatively, 80 movies to watch. Of course they've had a few good ones but I'm deep into the 3rd tier of the 'new' movies. As we are talking about DP watching costs, I'm guessing they are not investing in studio content.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 9:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, UA P1K
Originally Posted by AANYC1981

exactly.....why is AA so visionless? DL leaps them again with this wireless product so all those people complaining about the “boxes” don’t have to comment anymore.
It won't really change the boxes that much, it still will require power boxes, you just don't run data cables now to the IFE screens (for better or worse).
Old Oct 17, 2018, 11:19 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
I like the idea of not yanking a tablet out particularly in F where I may be having a meal. However, domestic AA is competing more with WN, AS and Spirit which have no IFE. Not so much on an International flight.
WN and AS most certainly do have IFE, but it is BYOD.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 11:20 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by Fanjet
Is this thread also on the UA forum? Because they are not putting seatback AVOD on their narrowbody fleet either.
I don't think anybody that isn't DL is, are they (maybe B6)?
Old Oct 17, 2018, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
B6 has complete AVOD. UA stopped putting it on new narrowbodies a while ago. The tablets on AS (free to F, for rent in coach) are one solution but not my favorite. Southwest to Hawaii with AVOD on own devices but no powerports -- oof.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 11:33 am

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by dc9flyernwa
It won't really change the boxes that much, it still will require power boxes, you just don't run data cables now to the IFE screens (for better or worse).
Offering power requires power boxes too.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 11:34 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by MrMan
Or go the WN way, free live tv and movies on ones personal device,
Isn't that what aa does already and we're discussing using our own devices vs. seat backs?
Old Oct 17, 2018, 11:36 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Admirals Club Member, HHonors
Originally Posted by TXguy

Offering power requires power boxes too.
Do they still? I thought the 120V circuits in the newer airframes were generated centrally.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.